Boys Road Bike Wanted

  • David Toppin
    Message 1 of 15 , Oct 1, 2007

      Anyone out there have a child's road bike?  My son is 11 and wants one.  He did his first century on a single speed Columbia 1915 or so track bike a couple of weeks ago…

      David Toppin

      dave@...

      www.pelletizer.com  <see our complete, searchable inventory

      The Pelletizer Group, Inc.

      4 LaChance Street

      Gardner, MA 01440-2476

      (978) 669-0060

      (978) 669-0061 fax

      Message 2 of 15 , Oct 1, 2007
        --- David Toppin <dave@...> wrote:

        > He did his first century on a single speed Columbia
        > 1915 or so track bike a couple of weeks ago…

        Woah! Your 11-year-old did a century on a single
        speed? That is truly impressive.

        Wish I had a better bike for him.

        - Forbes

      • sm2501@aol.com
        Message 3 of 15 , Oct 1, 2007
          David-

          I am a bike dealer in Texas and have some of the Specialized Allez Jr Comp's in stock. They have 24" wheels. Retails for $1099.99, but could sell you one for $899.99. Check it out here-

          Scott McCaskey

          In a message dated 10/01/2007 4:25:41 P.M. Central Daylight Time, dave@... writes:
          Anyone out there have a child's road bike?  My son is 11 and wants one.  He did his first century on a single speed Columbia 1915 or so track bike a couple of weeks ago…

        • Steve Birmingham
          Message 4 of 15 , Oct 1, 2007

            Hi David,

               I have a couple that might work, depending on your sons size

            1)1969 Raleigh Supercourse 531 main tubes straight guage. 20 ½ inches c-c. not a bad frame, but very challenged cosmetically.

              It takes 27” wheels, and needs just about everything. At least it’s worth building up as a project.

            2) Quintana Roo Superform. 650c wheels, but triathlon geometry with aerobars. You could easily get rid of these in favor of something a bit more normal.

                I think it’s mostly ready to go, I can check it over if you’d like it

            For me the Raleigh is a “someday” project, and the superform sort-of fits the collection. I’d be interested in swaps for other projects or something, or pretty flexible pricewise if you just want to buy. I could also build up the Raleigh, if you don’t like a project. (Or since you’re into the nice old stuff, just have too many projects)

            3) The shop I work for has a Terry that’s quite small. 700c? back wheel, 24” front. Technically a womens bike, but it has a regular diamond frame.

                I forget how much they want, but winter’s coming, so probably less now. I can check Thursday when I’m there. (trades are possible here too)

            4) 19” Ross or something - takes 26” wheels. Frame that needs to have literally everything replaced. The parts to fix it would probably be

            worth more than the bike finished. It was low end stuff in it’s day, and hasn’t improved with age. He’d almost definetly be better off on the columbia.

            But if it’s a road bike he wants, and likes tinkering etc. The price is REALLY right,  free.

            I’m fairly local, and could deliver any of them.

            Steve Birmingham

            Lowell, Ma

            Steve

              Message 6 of 15 , Oct 1, 2007
                He did, although in the highwheel community we consider that the wimpy way to do it. But the Wheelmen count anything on a pre 1918 bike.  He did 60 miles on his highwheel in Vermont this past summer. It was around 95 degrees and hilly.  THis one was on Martha's VIneyard and was a  much easier route...

                David Toppin
                dave@...
                www.pelletizer.com  <------  see our complete, searchable inventory.

                The Pelletizer Group, Inc.
                4 LaChance Street
                Gardner, MA 01440-2476

                (978) 669-0060
                (978) 669-0061 fax

                > He did his first century on a single speed Columbia

                1915 or so track bike a couple of weeks ago…

                Woah! Your 11-year-old did a century on a single
                speed? That is truly impressive.

                Wish I had a better bike for him.

                - Forbes

                Fussy? Opinionated? Impossible to please? Perfect. Join Yahoo!'s user panel and lay it on us. http://surveylink. yahoo.com/ gmrs/yahoo_ panel_invite. asp?a=7