new flickr pics

  • Chris sharp
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 1, 2007
      Hello all,
      A friend of mine has started a new flickr page to show of
      some of his classic / vintage bicycles and he has just posted a few
      photo's of his barn find a 1937 F Grubb tandem. Chris comes from a
      cycling family and has a good knowlege on British builders 30's to
      70's and his page is worth a look.

      http://www.flickr.com/photos/75395133@N00/674760850/ F Grubb

      Chris.
    • Anne
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 1, 2007
        Those are amazing pictures Chris. I've sat up waaaay too late
        looking at your friend's British lightweights, but Ooooooo it was
        worth it.

        Cheers,

        Annie

        --- In Bicycle_Restoration@yahoogroups.com, "Chris
        sharp" <chrisow31sharp@...> wrote:

        > Hello all,
        > A friend of mine has started a new flickr page to show of
        > some of his classic / vintage bicycles and he has just posted a few
        > photo's of his barn find a 1937 F Grubb tandem. Chris comes from a
        > cycling family and has a good knowlege on British builders 30's to
        > 70's and his page is worth a look.
        >
        > http://www.flickr.com/photos/75395133@N00/674760850/ F Grubb
        >
        > Chris.

      • Eric Phillips
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 1, 2007
          Are those mustache handlebars, or upside down North Roads bars?
        • Chris sharp
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 1, 2007
            --- In Bicycle_Restoration@yahoogroups.com, "Eric Phillips"
            <altinos@...> wrote:

            > Are those mustache handlebars, or upside down North Roads bars?

            They are upside down north road bars and yesterday I went to see the
            Grubb and would have brough it home with me. A great lot of time and
            money needed but a great bike!

            Chris.
          • Chris sharp
            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 1, 2007
              Annie I spent hours in this collectors workshop with my mouth open
              and I was very impressed .

              Chris

              --- In Bicycle_Restoration@yahoogroups.com, "Anne" <Artidomal@...>
              wrote:

              > Those are amazing pictures Chris. I've sat up waaaay too late
              > looking at your friend's British lightweights, but Ooooooo it was
              > worth it.
              >
              > Cheers,
              >
              > Annie
              >
              > --- In Bicycle_Restoration@yahoogroups.com, "Chris
              > sharp" <chrisow31sharp@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Hello all,
              > > A friend of mine has started a new flickr page to show
              of
              > > some of his classic / vintage bicycles and he has just posted a
              few
              > > photo's of his barn find a 1937 F Grubb tandem. Chris comes from
              > > cycling family and has a good knowlege on British builders 30's
              > > 70's and his page is worth a look.
              > >
              > > http://www.flickr.com/photos/75395133@N00/674760850/ F Grubb
              > >
              > > Chris.

            • Anne
              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 1, 2007
                Seeing beautiful restorations like those Chris is very inspiring and
                is very much a boost to flagging spirits. It's been very grey
                weather with lots of heavy rain here. Getting my workshop and tools
                & etc sorted out and all my spare parts properly stored seems to be
                taking forever. With all the mud and surface water about it's very
                much tricycle weather and it's very disheartening to have to be
                continually cleaning muck off my lovely green and gold Hercules
                tricycle.

                Cheers,

                Annie

                --- In Bicycle_Restoration@yahoogroups.com, "Chris
                sharp" <chrisow31sharp@...> wrote:

                > Annie I spent hours in this collectors workshop with my mouth open
                > and I was very impressed .
                >
                > Chris
                >
                > --- In Bicycle_Restoration@yahoogroups.com, "Anne" <Artidomal@>
                > wrote:
                > >
                > > Those are amazing pictures Chris. I've sat up waaaay too late
                > > looking at your friend's British lightweights, but Ooooooo it was
                > > worth it.
                > >
                > > Cheers,
                > >
                > > Annie
                > >
                > > --- In Bicycle_Restoration@yahoogroups.com, "Chris
                > > sharp" <chrisow31sharp@> wrote:
                > > >
                > > > Hello all,
                > > > A friend of mine has started a new flickr page to
                show
                > of
                > > > some of his classic / vintage bicycles and he has just posted a
                > few
                > > > photo's of his barn find a 1937 F Grubb tandem. Chris comes
                from
                > > > cycling family and has a good knowlege on British builders 30's
                > > > 70's and his page is worth a look.
                > > >
                > > > http://www.flickr.com/photos/75395133@N00/674760850/ F Grubb
                > > >
                > > > Chris.

              • Steven Johnson
                Message 7 of 8 , Jul 3, 2007
                  The price was right, and the bike was dirty and pretty much unused condition.

                  This is the second Grand Prix I now have, of many I have owned. This is the first Super Grand Prix, and by the serial number it is a 1979 production. The Normandy hubs and stem are dated 1978. here is a link to the specs for 1978. Most interesting is the geometry is a bit steeper.
                  http://sheldonbrown.com/retroraleighs/catalogs/Raleigh-Catalog-1978.pdf
                  I guess Normandy hubs were still cheaper than Shimano at this point?

                  I took the bike apart, and clear coated the frame. I got rid of the brake lever extensions, took apart the wheels and replaced the seatpost. The rear derailleur is broken, and I had another Raleigh VGT along with a Raleigh crankarm in my parts collection. The replacement rear der had a stripped cable anchor bolt, so I drilled it and put in a nut and bolt.

                  Getting spokes has not been fun. The rear wheel on the bike now is from an old Falcon, and the front is Ofmega hubed sew up. I need to find some 292mm spokes for the front, and 292/294mm for the rear. The original freewheel on the bike has a mondo 34t. I took the cogs off of the freewheel body to clean them, and besides, it is fun to do. I am not sure about using the Raleigh rims, they are not hooked. I get real tired of tires blowing off.

                  With the sew up on the front, it rides really nice. Much more so than the early 70s GP I have.
                  http://webpages.charter.net/steve.johnson1/graphics/GS_fron.jpg
                  http://webpages.charter.net/steve.johnson1/graphics/GS_full.jpg
                  http://webpages.charter.net/steve.johnson1/graphics/GS_post.jpg
                  http://webpages.charter.net/steve.johnson1/graphics/GS_power.jpg
                  http://webpages.charter.net/steve.johnson1/graphics/gran.jpg
                  http://webpages.charter.net/steve.johnson1/graphics/granprix.jpg

                  See if this link works:
                  http://new.photos.yahoo.com/ebatnye/album/576460762404816454

                  I would tour of either one of these bikes, just like high school, if I can get a comfortable position. They are pigs, but OK for some types of riding.

                  Steven Johnson, Shiloh, IL

                  Now I need to go out and get a Road Bike Action shot.
                  http://new.photos.yahoo.com/ebatnye/album/576460762402770348/photo/294928804399207918/0

                • Gary
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jul 3, 2007
                    Don't defend yourself to me, i love the Gran Prix's.  the bocama feature cut lugs are one oif my favorite. teake the metal parts off and they get down to 25lbs.  only negatives are the 3spd threaded headsets, and on the old ones the 70mm bb's.  i have about a 69 that i ride a lot.

                    Gary