Tire Sizes

  • L H W
    Message 1 of 21 , Jul 31, 2005

      Bike tire sizes nowadays confuse the heck out of me.
      Back when I was a kid, early in the previous century,
      there were just a few sizes and they were easy to keep
      track of.

      Can anybody tell me where to find a chart that shows
      what tires in inches vs centimeters are equivalent? I
      can do inch/centimeter conversions, but feel uncertain
      about whether centimeter tires fit on inch-sized rims and
      so forth. Besides, I don't trust my own math.  ;8^)

      ---Lloyd---
    • Alan Lloyd
      Message 2 of 21 , Aug 1, 2005
        But what is the thinking behind gumwall tyres: is the brown stuff cheaper than "rubber" or is it
        just style, as it gives up long before the black stuff - which isn't really rubber, is it?

        Alan Lloyd

        --- Tom Schmitz <ctschmitz@...> wrote:

        > Russell -
        >
        > You're probably doing the best you can.
        >
        > I buy tires on close-out all the time and maintain a stock of about a
        > dozen. These are for my commuter, fixed, and sport bike. It is my
        > personal belief that the "perfect" tire for me is a 700X20/23 with a
        > folding bead that costs less than $15. That means last years "high zoot"
        > tire that nobody wants any more, so I watch for those close outs. I go
        > through several pairs per year. As they are all folding tires and I put
        > them in zip lock bags and then store them in their original cardboard
        > boxes. I keep them in a cabinet.
        >
        > A friend of mine lives in the desert east of hear (near Palm Springs)
        > and he has the same problem you do with tires. He buys tires for his
        > three speed when he finds a good deal on 26 X 1 3/8 tires and stores
        > them in garbage bags in his linen closet. But then, he's a bachelor...
        >
        > If they are sealed up in plastic and then put away in a
        > drawer/locker/cabinet I think you needn't worry about ozone, but you
        > should watch the heat.
        >
        > Cheers,
        >
        > Tom
        > Russell Allen Zech wrote:
        >
        > > Folks,
        > >
        > > I have been buying lots of tires from time to time on Ebay. I bought
        > > some tirty 20" (406)tires a while back from a fellow who was clearing
        > > out new and slightly used tires that he had been experimenting with on
        > > his recumbent trike. My practice upon receiving tires has been to wash
        > > them if not new, wipe them down liberally with Armor All and to seal
        > > them in plastic garbage bags. I don't have room indoors for them so I
        > > store them in the garage where, here in Texas, it can get quite hot. I
        > > am more worried about the ambient ozone then the heat. I store my
        > > active bikes on the back patio and the ozone (i guess) really eats
        > > tires back there. My stored tires seem to be holding up well from
        > > outward appearance. The low pressure tires have been keeping my kids'
        > > bikes rolling and the high pressure tires keep my BikeE CTs rolling.
        > >
        > > I have another lot of 10 27 inch tires coming shortly. What is
        > > recommended practice for storing tires? Is heat a problem or is
        > > oxidation the real culprit?
        > >
        > > I'd appreciate your thoughts.
        > >
        > > Russell

        http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
      • Forbes Bagatelle-Black
        Message 3 of 21 , Aug 1, 2005
          Hi Lloyd!

          Welcome to the group.

          Someone might be able to come up with a size chart for you, but this
          would be for reference purposes only. You cannot use metric-sized
          tires on English-sized rims or vice versa. If you have 27" tires, you
          must use a 27" rim. If you have 700C tires, you must use a 700C rim.

          Also, keep in mind that wider tires won't fit on narrower rims (and
          vice-versa) even if they are both the same diameter. If you have
          specific questions on the width issue, please let us know.

          Good luck!

          Forbes

          --- In Bicycle_Restoration@yahoogroups.com, "L H W" <lwhitling@l...>
          wrote:

          > Bike tire sizes nowadays confuse the heck out of me.
          > Back when I was a kid, early in the previous century,
          > there were just a few sizes and they were easy to keep
          > track of.
          >
          > Can anybody tell me where to find a chart that shows
          > what tires in inches vs centimeters are equivalent? I
          > can do inch/centimeter conversions, but feel uncertain
          > about whether centimeter tires fit on inch-sized rims and
          > so forth. Besides, I don't trust my own math. ;8^)
          >
          > ---Lloyd---
        • Charles Schmitz
          Message 4 of 21 , Aug 1, 2005
            Message 5 of 21 , Aug 1, 2005
              Well, let's not go TOO far overboard. With typical lower to mid
              level bikes, the width is a lot less important. A high end racing
              bike might not offer enough clearance for a 32cm wide tire, but just
              about anything else will. If you stick with the original width or
              the "next size wider", you should be good. I often put 32 or even
              wider tires on wheels that "came" with 25's on them. Frame clearance
              should be your only real concern. That said, I doubt I would put
              monster 40's on a high end road wheel, or 23's on a big wide touring
              rim either.

              Side info: 700c is NOT 700 centimeters, so there is no direct
              comparison between 27" and 700c size. However, width is simple
              inches to mm conversion 1 inch = 25.4mm (2.54cm), so a 1" wide tire
              would be a hair over 25mm.

              --- In Bicycle_Restoration@yahoogroups.com, "Forbes Bagatelle-Black"
              <diarmaede@y...> wrote:
              > Hi Lloyd!
              >
              > Welcome to the group.
              >
              > Someone might be able to come up with a size chart for you, but
              this
              > would be for reference purposes only. You cannot use metric-sized
              > tires on English-sized rims or vice versa. If you have 27" tires,
              you
              > must use a 27" rim. If you have 700C tires, you must use a 700C
              rim.

              > Also, keep in mind that wider tires won't fit on narrower rims (and
              > vice-versa) even if they are both the same diameter. If you have
              > specific questions on the width issue, please let us know.
              >
              > Good luck!
              >
              > Forbes
              >
              > --- In Bicycle_Restoration@yahoogroups.com, "L H W"
              <lwhitling@l...>
              > wrote:
              > >

              > > Bike tire sizes nowadays confuse the heck out of me.
              > > Back when I was a kid, early in the previous century,
              > > there were just a few sizes and they were easy to keep
              > > track of.
              > >
              > > Can anybody tell me where to find a chart that shows
              > > what tires in inches vs centimeters are equivalent? I
              > > can do inch/centimeter conversions, but feel uncertain
              > > about whether centimeter tires fit on inch-sized rims and
              > > so forth. Besides, I don't trust my own math. ;8^)
              > >
              > > ---Lloyd---
            • Forbes Bagatelle-Black
              Message 6 of 21 , Aug 1, 2005
                --- Dan Brussee <dbrussee@...> wrote:

                > Well, let's not go TOO far overboard. With typical
                > lower to mid
                > level bikes, the width is a lot less important.

                Hmmm... I'm not sure where I was going overboard.
                Perhaps I misunderstand your point. I was trying to
                point out that you might have problems running a 32mm
                tire on a new narrow rim build for 18mm tires.
                Similarly, you should not try to run an 18mm tire on
                an old Super Champion Type 58; the rim is just too
                wide.

                And, the bottom line is, you can't run metric tires on
                27" rims and vice versa.

                Yours,

                Forbes B-Black
                Santa Clarita, CA

                http://mail.yahoo.com
              • L H W
                Message 7 of 21 , Aug 2, 2005
                  You guys are all good. Thanks.

                  It looks like the same approach should be used as for the
                  automobile: Tire width should match the wheels (or at least
                  be close). That's understandable.

                  Now, armed with all this information, I must now sally forth to
                  find four *very low priced* 24X13/8 tires somewhere in the USA.

                  Message 8 of 21 , Aug 2, 2005
                    --- L H W <lwhitling@...> wrote:
                    > Now, armed with all this information, I must now
                    > sally forth to
                    > find four *very low priced* 24X13/8 tires somewhere
                    > in the USA.

                    Define "very low priced." You might be able to have a
                    local bike shop (LBS) order them for ~$12.95/ea. Then
                    again, it's been a looooooooooong time since I ordered
                    24X1 3/8 tires. Things might have changed since then.

                    I've got a 1998 QBP catalog that lists Kenda 24X1-3/8"
                    K40 tires (QBP #TR5108). If an LBS bent you over,
                    they would still only charge $10/ea or so. Prices and
                    availability probably changed since 1998, but not
                    drastically.

                    Good Luck!

                    Forbes B-Black
                    Santa Clarita, CA

                    http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
                  • Steve Birmingham
                    Message 9 of 21 , Aug 2, 2005
                      Message
                      Hi Lloyd,

                           The shop I work for has a huge overstock of this size. It's a bit of an odd size, so I'm not sure why the previous owner
                      had 20-30 of them. Anyway, I'll bring 4 home the next time I work on Thursday, and figure out the shipping and price
                      They'll be cheap, but the shipping might be a problem.

                      Steve Birmingham
                      Lowell,Ma

                      Message 10 of 21 , Aug 2, 2005
                        Steve; Wish I were still in Boston sometimes, I'd be
                        tempted to buy the shop.

                        Peter

                        --- Steve Birmingham <sbirmingham@...>

                        Peter W. Naiman
                        4420 North Ardmore Avenue
                        Shorewood, WI 53211
                        Home: 414-967-0990
                        Cell: 617-512-1502
                        Email: hetchinspete1@...

                        http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
                      • Dan Brussee
                        Message 11 of 21 , Aug 2, 2005
                          As stated here, I agree 100%. Maybe I mis-read the original posting.
                          I was under the impression that you (or someone) was saying that you
                          couldnt go wider or narrower as a general statement... in other
                          words, if the rim is made for 28, then 32 or 25 will not fit. As you
                          say here, this is not the case... just not blatantly WAY wider or
                          narrower ones.

                          Agreed that 700c and 27" do not mix :)

                          http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/Bicycle_Restoration

                          > http://mail.yahoo.com
                        • Alan Lloyd
                          Message 12 of 21 , Aug 3, 2005
                            By-the-way: has anybody got any tips on where we might find 16x2 tyres for our Raleigh RSW
                            Compact, other than $25 Chopper redline front tyres? The originals where, in fact, white.

                            Alan

                            --- L H W <lwhitling@...> wrote:

                            > You guys are all good. Thanks.
                            >
                            > It looks like the same approach should be used as for the
                            > automobile: Tire width should match the wheels (or at least
                            > be close). That's understandable.
                            >
                            > Now, armed with all this information, I must now sally forth to
                            > find four *very low priced* 24X13/8 tires somewhere in the USA.

                            http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
                          • Roy H. Drinkwater
                            Message 13 of 21 , Aug 3, 2005
                              Alan asked:

                              >By-the-way: has anybody got any tips on where we might find 16x2
                              >tyres for our Raleigh RSW
                              >Compact, other than $25 Chopper redline front tyres? The originals
                              >where, in fact, white.

                              See <http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/tires/index.html> and
                              check out your rim size.

                              Roy H. Drinkwater
                            • L H W
                              Message 14 of 21 , Aug 3, 2005
                                [: > Now, armed with all this information, I must now
                                [: > sally forth to
                                [: > find four *very low priced* 24X13/8 tires somewhere
                                [: > in the USA.
                                [:
                                [: Define "very low priced." You might be able to have a
                                [: local bike shop (LBS) order them for ~$12.95/ea. Then
                                [: again, it's been a looooooooooong time since I ordered
                                [: 24X1 3/8 tires. Things might have changed since then.
                                [:
                                [: I've got a 1998 QBP catalog that lists Kenda 24X1-3/8"
                                [: K40 tires (QBP #TR5108). If an LBS bent you over,
                                [: they would still only charge $10/ea or so. Prices and
                                [: availability probably changed since 1998, but not
                                [: drastically.
                                [:
                                [: Good Luck!
                                [:
                                [: Forbes B-Black
                                [: Santa Clarita, CA

                                Around here, WalMart and K-Mart sell tires in most sizes for
                                under nine bucks (+ tax). I bought out their 24" street tires, and
                                they have never recuperated, but even at that price I cannot
                                break even. If I try to, the bike becomes a fixture that I would
                                be better off stripping the parts from. I have a couple right now
                                that are just too pretty to do that to.
                                ---Lloyd---
                              • L H W
                                Message 15 of 21 , Aug 3, 2005
                                  Message
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Aug 3, 2005
                                    Hi Steve,

                                    Any other cool "odd size" parts in the shop's back
                                    room that we should know about?

                                    Thanks,

                                    Forbes

                                    PS: You are tugging at my heartstrings with the shop
                                    for sale. It's one town over from my parents. I'd
                                    love to get back into the industry. Then again, I
                                    like feeding my family, which can be difficult as a
                                    bike shop owner. Sigh. Which shop is it? (Sorry if
                                    I asked you that before).

                                    wrote:

                                    > Hi Lloyd,
                                    >
                                    > The shop I work for has a huge overstock of
                                    > this size. It's a bit of an
                                    > odd size, so I'm not sure why the previous owner
                                    > had 20-30 of them. Anyway, I'll bring 4 home the
                                    > next time I work on
                                    > Thursday, and figure out the shipping and price
                                    > They'll be cheap, but the shipping might be a
                                    > problem.
                                    >
                                    > Steve Birmingham
                                    > Lowell,Ma
                                    >

                                    > PS: The shop happens to be for sale, if anyone in
                                    > the Boston area is
                                    > interested.

                                    http://mail.yahoo.com
                                  • Steve Birmingham
                                    Message 17 of 21 , Aug 3, 2005
                                      Message
                                      There's a lot of odd stuff in the attic, I'll be putting together a list of some stuff fairly soon, probably as a
                                      homemade web page.  Most of the stuff is very disorganised, I've worked at it of and on, and have mostly gottten
                                      similar things in the same box. It's very old fashioned too, as there's boxes of broken items saved for parts, which
                                      suits me just fine.

                                       The shop is "the bike stop"  in Arlington, Mass. and directly on the minuteman path. Hopefully someone will buy the place, and
                                      keep it open.  Yes, it would be very difficult to make a go of it if you had bills to pay and a family to feed.

                                      wrote:

                                      > Hi Lloyd,

                                      >      The shop I work for has a huge overstock of
                                      > this size. It's a bit of an
                                      > odd size, so I'm not sure why the previous owner
                                      > had 20-30 of them. Anyway, I'll bring 4 home the
                                      > next time I work on
                                      > Thursday, and figure out the shipping and price
                                      > They'll be cheap, but the shipping might be a
                                      > problem.

                                      > Steve Birmingham
                                      > Lowell,Ma

                                      > PS: The shop happens to be for sale, if anyone in
                                      > the Boston area is
                                      > interested.

                                      http://mail.yahoo.com
                                    • Steve Birmingham
                                      Message 18 of 21 , Aug 3, 2005
                                        Message
                                        I do have an "in", but I also have lots of other stuff I'm doing, and I'm not sure I could commit the ammount of time
                                        it would take to do well. I'm almost positive I just can't do it, but ....

                                        Steve