Re: Collecting bicycle stuff.....

  • Anne
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 1, 2007
      Hi Chris, - yes I agree about the licence plates giving an extra
      touch. I've been able to find a Dutch plate for my 1940 'Holfa' by
      'Veeno' and my rickshaw is likely to end up with either a Phillipines
      or a Chinese plate. My Mum has told me that when she was a girl
      bicycles here in NZ had to have a number plate mounted on their
      mudguard with their frame number on them. She can remember my engine
      driver grandfather having to mount one of these plates on his bicycle
      and not being very pleased about it. I wonder if it was something to
      do with wartime regulations? I can feel a research project coming
      on....

      Cheers,

      Annie

      --- In Bicycle_Restoration@yahoogroups.com, "Chris
      Davis" <spitfire14@...> wrote:

      > Annie, the number plates (or bicycle license plates as we call them
      > on this side of the pond) are something I frequently add to my
      > vintage bikes as one of those little touches you don't unsually see
      > on restorations. My pre-war Raleigh Roadster now wears a early
      > wartime number plate, and several of my other classics also wear
      > plates. Even my motorized Columbia wears a 1941 Canadian
      (Hamilton,
      > Ontario) plate, and the police don't bat an eyelash when they see
      me
      > motor on by.
      > -Chris
      >
      > --- In Bicycle_Restoration@yahoogroups.com, "Anne" <Artidomal@>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > I'm finding that it's just about as much fun collecting bicycle
      > > related odds and ends as it is collecting bicycles :-)
      > >
      > > Some bits from my collection.....
      > >

      > http://img144.imageshack.us/img144/4051/
      shenyanglaoningprovincevb2.jpg