Re: [Bicycle_Restoration] Bottom Bracket Replacement

  • Alan Lloyd
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 1, 2005
      They can/should be a direct replacement, as long as you can get one with matching threads and of
      the right size - the axle-length, etc.

      My son's Raleigh Gran Sport had a really badly tapped bottom-bracket (we suspect the bike was made
      late on friday afternoon). The work-around was to replace it with a cartridge, as this wouldn't be
      as badly affected by the misalignment.

      Perhaps the hardest part will be getting the old end-cap on the chain-wheel side out, I've often
      found this right-hand side to be very stubborn!

      Alan Lloyd.

      --- Dennis Fariello <dennis@...> wrote:

      > Hi guys,
      >
      > My old (not sure of the year, but it's Uniglide) Univega's bottom
      > bracket bearings are getting really bad. When I called the LBS to
      > inquire rebuilding price, the proprietor suggested replacement with a
      > cartridge BB. I've no experience with cartridge bottom brackets, are
      > they really a direct replacement? If not, what's involved?
      >
      > Thanks.
      >
      > -Dennis
      > Philadelphia
      >
      > "May the wind always be at your back and may it not be your own"

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • Jason Cloutier
      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 1, 2005
        Dennis,

        Are you going to do the work or is LBS going to do it? If you're the
        wrench, disassemble the BB and have a look. If you only need new
        ball bearings, for several dollars and a little bit of time you're
        all set. If you need new cups and/or spindle, it may be easier to
        replace entire BB with a cartridge. A cartridge is easy to install,
        no adjustment, no messy grease. Downside is that a cartridge at LBS
        is probably going to cost $30 or more, plus labor or the cost of the
        installation tool. Plus the cartridge is not servicable; just use it
        until it fails, then throw it away and get a new one.

        I suggest that you check what you already have. No doubt that the
        bearings are shot, but the spindle may be shot as well. LBS may not
        stock replacement spindles, but I or someone else on the list may
        have something suitable. If the cups are shot as well, then you
        might as well go for a complete BB.

        Jason Cloutier
        Pawtucket, RI

        --- In Bicycle_Restoration@yahoogroups.com, "Dennis Fariello"
        <dennis@b...> wrote:
        > Hi guys,
        >
        > My old (not sure of the year, but it's Uniglide) Univega's bottom
        > bracket bearings are getting really bad. When I called the LBS to
        > inquire rebuilding price, the proprietor suggested replacement with
        > cartridge BB. I've no experience with cartridge bottom brackets,
        are
        > they really a direct replacement? If not, what's involved?
        >
        > Thanks.
        >
        > -Dennis
        > Philadelphia
        >
        > "May the wind always be at your back and may it not be your own"
      • L H W
        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 1, 2005
          Hi,
          As a newby on the group, I may be asking a question that has been answered a buch of times already, but here goes:

          Where's the best place to get common supplies? WalMart and K-Mart are the only places near me that even carry a rudimentary stock, and most of that is just decorations. My biggest problem is finding economical tires.

          I resuscitate old bicycles to sell from my front yard to passers-by. People take no care of their bikes, and what I offer are not going to be Treks, Cannondales, or bona-fide antiques. They are going to be what people are willing to pay $15-20 for, and most of my reward for my work will be from my love of the machine. A cheap set of Wally World tires, with tax, costs more than I can get for a bike, but tires on bikes are generally rotten. Any advice that will help get more kids onto a cheap set of wheels (and maybe their folks, too) will be helpful.

          Thanks,
          ---Lloyd---
        • Dennis Fariello
          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 1, 2005
            Message
            Lloyd,

            Welcome to the group.

            May I suggest eBay?

            -Dennis
             Philadelphia
            Message 5 of 11 , Jul 10, 2005
              Hi Lloyd,

              Other options for bike parts (altough WalMart sometimes has a good
              variety of basics like tires and tubes):
              - RiteAid, Longs, or other big chain pharmacies
              - Sports Chalet, Oschman's or other big chain sporting goods stores
              - www.nashbar.com
              - Hardware stores. If you've got a local hardware store that does not
              stock bike parts, they might be able to order them.

              Good luck!

              Forbes Bagatelle-Black
              Santa Clarita, CA

              <dennis@b...> wrote:
              > Lloyd,
              >
              > Welcome to the group.
              >
              > May I suggest eBay?
              >
              > -Dennis
              > Philadelphia

            • Gary Funck
              Message 6 of 11 , Jul 10, 2005
                FYI. Nashbar's prices on tires:
                http://www.nashbar.com/results.cfm?subcategory=1085&category=121&browse=&storetype=&estoreid=&brand=&searchbox=&start=1&orderby=pric
                e1&pagename=

                short url: http://tinyurl.com/ansj4

                At $2.95, the basic 27x1 road tire sounds like a pretty good deal even after shipping.

                shipping: http://www.nashbar.com/help/shipinfo.cfm

                BTW, Nashbar's shipping cost seems to be based upon the price of the order,
                with a $5 surcharge for orders over 12 lbs. Thus, if each tire weighs a little less
                than 1 lb (a guess), you can probably safely order 10 tires without the
                $5 surcharge kicking in. 10 tires would work out to $3.60 per tire including shipping.
              • frameteam2003
                Message 7 of 11 , Jul 10, 2005
                  --- In Bicycle_Restoration@yahoogroups.com, "Gary Funck" <gary@i...>
                  wrote:

                  > FYI. Nashbar's prices on tires:

                  http://www.nashbar.com/results.cfm?subcategory=1085&category=121&browse=&storetype=&estoreid=&brand=&searchbox=&start=1&orderby=pric
                  > e1&pagename=
                  >
                  > short url: http://tinyurl.com/ansj4
                  >
                  > At $2.95, the basic 27x1 road tire sounds like a pretty good deal
                  even after shipping.
                  I'm seeing $4something as the cheapest tire?---are we seeing the same
                  thing?sam
                • Gary Funck
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jul 10, 2005
                    > I'm seeing $4 something as the cheapest tire?---are we seeing the same
                    > thing? sam

                    Well, they had an item (SKU: 13344) listed as "Nashbar 27x1 1/4" Road Tire",
                    that was going for $2.95. Regular price was around $10.

                    The link comes up empty now, sorry.
                  • L H W
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jul 12, 2005
                      Hey, thanks, one thing we have around here is a bunch of
                      chain drugstores  :8^)

                      Tires are the big thing. Even a set from WalMart costs more
                      than people will pay for a used bike for their kids. I hate it
                      when I have to abandon a good piece of equipment that only
                      needs new treads. I have noticed that boys' small bikes are
                      generally heavily damaged and harder to find, while girls'
                      small bikes are generally in quite good shape but almost a
                      drag to sell. I have decided to try selling boys' bikes with
                      white tires on them to see what happensÂ…!?

                      If people will buy them my tire costs will drop to half and I'll
                      have a supply of nice (but weird-colored) parts.

                      <dennis@b...> wrote:
                      > Lloyd,

                      > Welcome to the group.

                      > May I suggest eBay?

                      > -Dennis
                      >  Philadelphia

                    • Forbes Bagatelle-Black
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jul 12, 2005
                        Yup, rubber is a killer expense, whether you are talking about race
                        cars or bicycles. Hard to get around tire cost, but keep checking
                        www.nashbar.com . They have incredible sales on tires sometimes.

                        Good luck!

                        Forbes Bagatelle-Black
                        Santa Clarita, CA