Was: Perils of eBay - Now: Blessings of eBay

  • Roy H. Drinkwater
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 1, 2006
      Gary wrote:

      >I think its good and bad, I do like Ebay and have done over 200 transactions
      >with it. I have had both good and nasty dealings. I sold a Schwinn
      >SUpersport, Lemmon Yellow, it was in good shape, heavy but nice made
      >bicycles. The guy i dealt with was very nice, and pleasent. I shipped the
      >bike out the following week when i recived the money order and he replied
      >thanks and it came in great shape. 2 weeks later i got a email from his
      >wife. "i just want you to know, my husband really enjoyed the bicycle, it
      >was exactly like the one he had all through college. He passed away this
      >last weekend from a long battle with cancer. I just want to thanks you for
      >making him feel like a kid again, and playing with his Bicycle" I thought
      >the gift was mine with such a truly thoughtful note. All i did was pick up
      >a bike i liked, tinkerd with it got it in shape, and made a couple of
      >dollars for my effort. And a effort no less that i love to do. When ever
      >you deal with people, you can expect good and bad, Its just the way of the
      >world. sometimes no one wins in a debate, i choose just to let it go.
      >Remember what goes around comes around.

      The exact circumstance happened to me; a few years ago I sold
      a complete Trek touring bike with front/rear + extra panniers,
      completely decked out, even including bicycle touring books. I said
      I would deliver within 120 miles free and the buyer was in New
      Jersey, close to the office I worked out of. I met the gentleman,
      and he mentioned that he had just been diagnosed with pancreatic
      cancer. I offered to return his money, but he said no, he wanted
      something to look forward to in order to help him through his
      treatments.

      Two months later, I received a call inquiring if I had been
      paid for the bicycle. I replied yes, and was informed the the
      gentleman had passed away, and that the caller was distributing his
      several bikes to charities. Last year when the Lance Armstrong
      Foundation started to sell the yellow wristbands, I ordered a few
      dozen and gave them to friends. I still wear mine to this day,
      knowing for the grace of God, there I go.

      Another thing I do is once a year is to find an old kids
      bike, repair & refinish it, and after it's done, donate it to a local
      church/charity for distribution to someone who can't afford one.
      Enjoy what you've got, carpe diem.

      Roy "made it to 2006...whew!" Drinkwater
      Lititz, PA