Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.
 

Re: Nice job Sam!

Expand Messages
  • koolzakukumba
    ... I don t know for sure, Sam, but I ll ask someone who I think might have a Fothergill or a lead to one and get back to you. Look forward to seeing the pics
    Message 1 of 20 , Dec 1, 2005
      --- In Bicycle_Restoration@yahoogroups.com, "sam lingo"
      <frameteam2003@y...> wrote:

      > One quick question:Do you know of anyone with a Fothergill(Liverpool
      > builder)?I'm in need of pics of the transfers.---sam

      I don't know for sure, Sam, but I'll ask someone who I think might have
      a Fothergill or a lead to one and get back to you.

      Look forward to seeing the pics of your CB when you get a chance.

      Cheers,
      Bruce
    • marc garcia
      I picked this up today, I m not sure if I m going to keep it or sell it so i m wondering if anyone has any info on it. I know about higgins being a sears brand
      Message 2 of 20 , Dec 1, 2005
        I picked this up today, I'm not sure if I'm going to
        keep it or sell it so i'm wondering if anyone has any
        info on it. I know about higgins being a sears brand
        and that these bikes were made by austro daimler puch.
        I'm wondering if someone can date the bike and place
        it in their line up

        The paint is gold with white pin striping and chrome
        fork and stays. The lugs are the jc higgins type. It
        is a 10 speed with an altenburger champion drive
        train. This derailleur is mounted underneath the drive
        side chain stay. The front derailleur is a push rod
        type. the shifters attatch to brazed on shifter bosses
        on the down tube. crankset is steel and cottered no
        maker mark. leather saddle, can't quite read the label
        but I swear it looks like "assmann." but it could be
        essmann. Brakes and levers are the weinmann 500 type,
        decent sidepulls. the stem and bars are alloy although
        not marked. I'm not if the wheels are original but
        they do look like. They have normandy hubs laced to
        weinmann alloy rims, 27 inch. both wheels have
        wingnuts. The bike is in really nice shape,minus the
        saddle which is torn.

        I had a great 3 speed jc higgins which I loved but
        sold when I decided to stick with road bikes. we'll
        see what happens. I'm guessing this is from the 60's.
        any help is appreciated.

        marc
        chicago
      • bhufford3@mchsi.com
        Marc, I can t help you with the bike, but I can confirm that there are other Assmann saddles out there (great name). I think they made other components as
        Message 3 of 20 , Dec 1, 2005
          Marc,

          I can't help you with the bike, but I can confirm that there are other Assmann
          saddles out there (great name). I think they made other components as well
          (brakes at least).

          Bob Hufford
          Springfield, MO


          > leather saddle, can't quite read the label
          > but I swear it looks like "assmann." but it could be
          > essmann.
        • marc garcia
          thanks for the info. is this rear derailleur worth anything or is it fairly common? I m sure it s nothing like the simplex juy etc. thanks marc
          Message 4 of 20 , Dec 1, 2005
            thanks for the info. is this rear derailleur worth anything or is it fairly common? I'm sure it's nothing like the simplex juy etc.

            thanks
            marc

            bhufford3@... wrote:
            Marc,

            I can't help you with the bike, but I can confirm that there are other Assmann
            saddles out there (great name).  I think they made other components as well
            (brakes at least).

            Bob Hufford
            Springfield, MO


            > leather saddle, can't quite read the label
            > but I swear it looks like "assmann." but it could be
            > essmann.

          • oldbikecollector
            Marc, I have the J C Higgins book. Shoot me a picture and I ll see what I can find out. I don t think the JCH name was used later than 1960.
            Message 5 of 20 , Dec 1, 2005
              Marc, I have the J C Higgins book. Shoot me a picture and I'll see
              what I can find out. I don't think the JCH name was used later than
              1960.

              --- In Bicycle_Restoration@yahoogroups.com, marc garcia
              <marcgarcia80@a...> wrote:
              >
              > I picked this up today, I'm not sure if I'm going to
              > keep it or sell it so i'm wondering if anyone has any
              > info on it. I know about higgins being a sears brand
              > and that these bikes were made by austro daimler puch.
              > I'm wondering if someone can date the bike and place
              > it in their line up
              >
              > The paint is gold with white pin striping and chrome
              > fork and stays. The lugs are the jc higgins type. It
              > is a 10 speed with an altenburger champion drive
              > train. This derailleur is mounted underneath the drive
              > side chain stay. The front derailleur is a push rod
              > type. the shifters attatch to brazed on shifter bosses
              > on the down tube. crankset is steel and cottered no
              > maker mark. leather saddle, can't quite read the label
              > but I swear it looks like "assmann." but it could be
              > essmann. Brakes and levers are the weinmann 500 type,
              > decent sidepulls. the stem and bars are alloy although
              > not marked. I'm not if the wheels are original but
              > they do look like. They have normandy hubs laced to
              > weinmann alloy rims, 27 inch. both wheels have
              > wingnuts. The bike is in really nice shape,minus the
              > saddle which is torn.
              >
              > I had a great 3 speed jc higgins which I loved but
              > sold when I decided to stick with road bikes. we'll
              > see what happens. I'm guessing this is from the 60's.
              > any help is appreciated.
              >
              > marc
              > chicago
              >
            • marc garcia
              I ve attatched a picture. any info is greatly appreciated. What book do you have? is it a catalogue? thanks marc oldbikecollector
              Message 6 of 20 , Dec 1, 2005
                I've attatched a picture. any info is greatly appreciated. What book do you have? is it a catalogue?

                thanks
                marc

                oldbikecollector <jrobertson@...> wrote:
                Marc, I have the J C Higgins book. Shoot me a picture and I'll see
                what I can find out. I don't think the JCH name was used later than
                1960.

                --- In Bicycle_Restoration@yahoogroups.com, marc garcia
                <marcgarcia80@a...> wrote:
                >
                > I picked this up today, I'm not sure if I'm going to
                > keep it or sell it so i'm wondering if anyone has any
                > info on it. I know about higgins being a sears brand
                > and that these bikes were made by austro daimler puch.
                > I'm wondering if someone can date the bike and place
                > it in their line up
                >
                > The paint is gold with white pin striping and chrome
                > fork and stays. The lugs are the jc higgins type. It
                > is a 10 speed with an altenburger champion drive
                > train. This derailleur is mounted underneath the drive
                > side chain stay. The front derailleur is a push rod
                > type. the shifters attatch to brazed on shifter bosses
                > on the down tube. crankset is steel and cottered no
                > maker mark. leather saddle, can't quite read the label
                > but I swear it looks like "assmann." but it could be
                > essmann. Brakes and levers are the weinmann 500 type,
                > decent sidepulls. the stem and bars are alloy although
                > not marked. I'm not if the wheels are original but
                > they do look like. They have normandy hubs laced to
                > weinmann alloy rims, 27 inch. both wheels have
                > wingnuts. The bike is in really nice shape,minus the
                > saddle which is torn.
                >
                > I had a great 3 speed jc higgins which I loved but
                > sold when I decided to stick with road bikes. we'll
                > see what happens. I'm guessing this is from the 60's.
                > any help is appreciated.
                >
                > marc
                > chicago
                >





              • bhufford3@mchsi.com
                Marc, That is a way cool bike! More unusual, but along the lines of a Huffy (Carlton) that I m talking to a fellow about. I m waiting on pics, but from what
                Message 7 of 20 , Dec 1, 2005
                  Marc,

                  That is a way cool bike! More unusual, but along the lines of a Huffy
                  (Carlton) that I'm talking to a fellow about. I'm waiting on pics, but from
                  what I can tell it is a mid-60's Catalina model.

                  http://www.classicrendezvous.com/British/Carlton/CarltonHuffy.htm

                  I like the "sleeper" lightweights -- the Sears Ted Williams 531 model, etc.

                  BTW, the inside of your garage door is beginning to look very familiar. ;-)

                  Bob "Huffy" Hufford
                  Springfield, MO
                • Mark Chance
                  Marc, Nice find. Here is a brochure to go along with your cool new Huffy:
                  Message 8 of 20 , Dec 1, 2005
                    Marc,

                    Nice find. Here is a brochure to go along with your cool new Huffy:

                    http://cgi.ebay.com/OLD-1965-Huffman-Huffy-Carlton-Bicycle-Color-Flyer-NR_W0QQitemZ6585044929QQcategoryZ420QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

                    -Mark
                    ----- Original Message -----
                    From: <bhufford3@...>
                    To: <Bicycle_Restoration@yahoogroups.com>
                    Sent: Thursday, December 01, 2005 10:17 PM
                    Subject: Re: [Bicycle_Restoration] Re: looking for info on J.C. Higgins 10
                    speed


                    > Marc,
                    >
                    > That is a way cool bike! More unusual, but along the lines of a Huffy
                    > (Carlton) that I'm talking to a fellow about. I'm waiting on pics, but
                    > from
                    > what I can tell it is a mid-60's Catalina model.
                    >
                    > http://www.classicrendezvous.com/British/Carlton/CarltonHuffy.htm
                    >
                    > I like the "sleeper" lightweights -- the Sears Ted Williams 531 model,
                    > etc.
                    >
                    > BTW, the inside of your garage door is beginning to look very familiar.
                    > ;-)
                    >
                    > Bob "Huffy" Hufford
                    > Springfield, MO
                    >
                    >
                    >
                    >
                    > Yahoo! Groups Links
                    >
                    >
                    >
                    >
                    >
                  • oldbikecollector
                    ... I don t subscribe to the email list and your picture doesn t show up on the forum page. JOEL ... book do you have? is it a catalogue? ... J C Higgins book.
                    Message 9 of 20 , Dec 2, 2005
                      --- In Bicycle_Restoration@yahoogroups.com, marc garcia
                      <marcgarcia80@a...> wrote:
                      >
                      I don't subscribe to the email list and your picture doesn't show up
                      on the forum page. JOEL


                      > I've attatched a picture. any info is greatly appreciated. What
                      book do you have? is it a catalogue?
                      >
                      > thanks
                      > marc
                      >
                      > oldbikecollector <jrobertson@i...> wrote: Marc, I have the
                      J C Higgins book. Shoot me a picture and I'll see
                      > what I can find out. I don't think the JCH name was used later
                      than
                      > 1960.
                      >
                      > --- In Bicycle_Restoration@yahoogroups.com, marc garcia
                      > <marcgarcia80@a...> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > I picked this up today, I'm not sure if I'm going to
                      > > keep it or sell it so i'm wondering if anyone has any
                      > > info on it. I know about higgins being a sears brand
                      > > and that these bikes were made by austro daimler puch.
                      > > I'm wondering if someone can date the bike and place
                      > > it in their line up
                      > >
                      > > The paint is gold with white pin striping and chrome
                      > > fork and stays. The lugs are the jc higgins type. It
                      > > is a 10 speed with an altenburger champion drive
                      > > train. This derailleur is mounted underneath the drive
                      > > side chain stay. The front derailleur is a push rod
                      > > type. the shifters attatch to brazed on shifter bosses
                      > > on the down tube. crankset is steel and cottered no
                      > > maker mark. leather saddle, can't quite read the label
                      > > but I swear it looks like "assmann." but it could be
                      > > essmann. Brakes and levers are the weinmann 500 type,
                      > > decent sidepulls. the stem and bars are alloy although
                      > > not marked. I'm not if the wheels are original but
                      > > they do look like. They have normandy hubs laced to
                      > > weinmann alloy rims, 27 inch. both wheels have
                      > > wingnuts. The bike is in really nice shape,minus the
                      > > saddle which is torn.
                      > >
                      > > I had a great 3 speed jc higgins which I loved but
                      > > sold when I decided to stick with road bikes. we'll
                      > > see what happens. I'm guessing this is from the 60's.
                      > > any help is appreciated.
                      > >
                      > > marc
                      > > chicago
                      > >
                      >
                      >
                      >
                      >
                      >
                      >
                      > ---------------------------------
                      > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
                      >
                      >
                      > Visit your group "Bicycle_Restoration" on the web.
                      >
                      > To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
                      > Bicycle_Restoration-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
                      >
                      > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of
                      Service.
                      >
                      >
                      > ---------------------------------
                      >
                    • bhufford3@mchsi.com
                      There is a small picture here if Marc doesn t send you the big one right away. http://chicago.craigslist.org/bik/115084130.html Bob Hufford Springfield, MO
                      Message 10 of 20 , Dec 2, 2005
                        There is a small picture here if Marc doesn't send you the big one right away.

                        http://chicago.craigslist.org/bik/115084130.html

                        Bob Hufford
                        Springfield, MO



                        > I don't subscribe to the email list and your picture doesn't show up
                        > on the forum page. JOEL
                      • marc garcia
                        Hey bob, yeah you re right I do sell alot on craigslist, it s all about supporting the hobby. marc bhufford3@mchsi.com wrote: There is a small
                        Message 11 of 20 , Dec 2, 2005
                          Hey bob,

                          yeah  you're right I do sell alot on craigslist, it's all about supporting the hobby.

                          marc

                          bhufford3@... wrote:
                          There is a small picture here if Marc doesn't send you the big one right away.

                          http://chicago.craigslist.org/bik/115084130.html

                          Bob Hufford
                          Springfield, MO



                          > I don't subscribe to the email list and your picture doesn't show up
                          > on the forum page. JOEL

                        • bhufford3@mchsi.com
                          Marc, I hope I didn t offend you with the garage door remark. I certainly didn t mean to. I wish I had your resources to locate vintage bikes. I would be
                          Message 12 of 20 , Dec 2, 2005
                            Marc,

                            I hope I didn't offend you with the garage door remark. I certainly didn't
                            mean to. I wish I had your resources to locate vintage bikes. I would be
                            buying and selling them all the time as well -- that is the fun part of the
                            hobby for me too! I can only have about five on six bikes around at any given
                            time and I'm always lusting after the ones I don't have and I never have money
                            in the household budget for any of this so it has to be self supporting.

                            I guess my "virtual garage door" is the BOBishBikesFS list though those bikes
                            aren't mine (but if I had money a lot of them would pass through my hands).

                            Take care,

                            Bob Hufford
                            Springfield, MO
                          • Forbes Bagatelle-Black
                            What Bob said! My garage is at capacity. No new bikes are allowed to enter until an old one gets sold! - FBB ... __________________________________________
                            Message 13 of 20 , Dec 2, 2005
                              What Bob said! My garage is at capacity. No new
                              bikes are allowed to enter until an old one gets sold!

                              - FBB

                              --- bhufford3@... wrote:

                              > I can only have about five on six
                              > bikes around at any given
                              > time...



                              __________________________________________
                              Yahoo! DSL – Something to write home about.
                              Just $16.99/mo. or less.
                              dsl.yahoo.com
                            • bhufford3@mchsi.com
                              ... I didn t catch my typo, but they are piled up like that. ;-) Bob
                              Message 14 of 20 , Dec 2, 2005
                                > I can only have about five on six
                                > bikes around at any given time

                                I didn't catch my typo, but they are piled up like that. ;-)

                                Bob
                              • Forbes Bagatelle-Black
                                There s nothing like a little bike-on-bike action to make your garage an exciting place. Yeah baby, yeah, - FBB ... - Forbes Bagatelle-Black Santa Clarita, CA
                                Message 15 of 20 , Dec 2, 2005
                                  There's nothing like a little bike-on-bike action to
                                  make your garage an exciting place.

                                  Yeah baby, yeah,

                                  - FBB

                                  --- bhufford3@... wrote:

                                  > > I can only have about five on six
                                  > > bikes around at any given time
                                  >
                                  > I didn't catch my typo, but they are piled up like
                                  > that. ;-)
                                  >
                                  > Bob
                                  >


                                  - Forbes Bagatelle-Black
                                  Santa Clarita, CA

                                  Join the "Bicycle Restoration Group" at http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/Bicycle_Restoration



                                  __________________________________
                                  Start your day with Yahoo! - Make it your home page!
                                  http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
                                • marc garcia
                                  Bob, no offense taken. I guess my tone could have been interpreted as sarcastic but it wasn t meant to be so. I m glad I m able to fund my hobby through
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Dec 2, 2005
                                    Bob,

                                    no offense taken. I guess my tone could have been interpreted as sarcastic but it wasn't meant to be so. I'm glad I'm able to fund my hobby through these means. It's alot less friction with the girlfriend, plus I get alot of experience with all different sorts of bikes and I feel I've developed a good sense of what things are worth, plus being on the constant hunt and look out has brought me some great bargains for my own collection.

                                    marc

                                    bhufford3@... wrote:
                                    Marc,

                                    I hope I didn't offend you with the garage door remark.  I certainly didn't
                                    mean to.  I wish I had your resources to locate vintage bikes.  I would be
                                    buying and selling them all the time as well -- that is the fun part of the
                                    hobby for me too!  I can only have about five on six bikes around at any given
                                    time and I'm always lusting after the ones I don't have and I never have money
                                    in the household budget for any of this so it has to be self supporting.

                                    I guess my "virtual garage door" is the BOBishBikesFS list though those bikes
                                    aren't mine (but if I had money a lot of them would pass through my hands).

                                    Take care,

                                    Bob Hufford
                                    Springfield, MO




                                    From: marc garcia <marcgarcia80@...>
                                    To: Bicycle_Restoration@yahoogroups.com
                                    Subject: Re: [Bicycle_Restoration] Re: looking for info on J.C. Higgins 10 speed
                                    Date: Fri, 2 Dec 2005 17:25:41 +0000

                                    Hey bob,

                                    yeah  you're right I do sell alot on craigslist, it's all about supporting the hobby.

                                    marc

                                    bhufford3@... wrote:
                                    There is a small picture here if Marc doesn't send you the big one right away.

                                    http://chicago.craigslist.org/bik/115084130.html

                                    Bob Hufford
                                    Springfield, MO



                                    > I don't subscribe to the email list and your picture doesn't show up
                                    > on the forum page. JOEL


                                  • John
                                    ... Last weekend I went up north and picked up...uh, I mean... had a great romantic weekend with the wife. When I got home the Centurian and the Fair Lady were
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Dec 2, 2005
                                      Forbes Bagatelle-Black <diarmaede@y...> wrote:
                                      >
                                      > There's nothing like a little bike-on-bike action to
                                      > make your garage an exciting place.
                                      >
                                      > Yeah baby, yeah,
                                      >
                                      Last weekend I went up north and picked up...uh, I mean... had a great
                                      romantic weekend with the wife. When I got home the Centurian and the
                                      Fair Lady were getting cozy--a little too cozy if you ask me. He had
                                      one of her pedals coyly all wrapped in his Christophe strap and all.
                                      Had quite the time seperating them, too. I ended up yelling--ok,
                                      cursing--at him. I called him a pervert for looking at a little kid
                                      like that. He countered with the fact that she's no longer a
                                      girl--even if she looks like one--and that she's almost 30 years
                                      old--even older than he is. It was quite an ugly scene. I was upset.
                                      My wife was upset. The other bikes were upset. I thought the Raleigh
                                      was going to go all British on the guy--he's never liked the LeMans.
                                      Even the new bike was a little worried.

                                      Fortunately we intervened before anything happened. Could you imagine
                                      the consequences if we hadn't? A 10 speed with a banana seat and ape
                                      hangers? A Sting Ray with a Brooks and drops? Or worse--I shudder to
                                      think of it.

                                      So while I'm not adverse to a little bike action, choose your uh,
                                      pairings, carefully.

                                      Now the Raleigh and the Fair Lady--I could go for another Twenty Folder...

                                      Shameless John
                                    • Forbes Bagatelle-Black
                                      Truly John, you have a dizzying imagination. Don t ever stop, FBB ... - Forbes Bagatelle-Black Santa Clarita, CA Join the Bicycle Restoration Group at
                                      Message 18 of 20 , Dec 2, 2005
                                        Truly John, you have a dizzying imagination.

                                        Don't ever stop,

                                        FBB

                                        --- John <old99jh@...> wrote:

                                        > Forbes Bagatelle-Black <diarmaede@y...> wrote:
                                        > >
                                        > > There's nothing like a little bike-on-bike action
                                        > to
                                        > > make your garage an exciting place.
                                        > >
                                        > > Yeah baby, yeah,
                                        > >
                                        > Last weekend I went up north and picked up...uh, I
                                        > mean... had a great
                                        > romantic weekend with the wife. When I got home the
                                        > Centurian and the
                                        > Fair Lady were getting cozy--a little too cozy if
                                        > you ask me. He had
                                        > one of her pedals coyly all wrapped in his
                                        > Christophe strap and all.
                                        > Had quite the time seperating them, too. I ended up
                                        > yelling--ok,
                                        > cursing--at him. I called him a pervert for looking
                                        > at a little kid
                                        > like that. He countered with the fact that she's no
                                        > longer a
                                        > girl--even if she looks like one--and that she's
                                        > almost 30 years
                                        > old--even older than he is. It was quite an ugly
                                        > scene. I was upset.
                                        > My wife was upset. The other bikes were upset. I
                                        > thought the Raleigh
                                        > was going to go all British on the guy--he's never
                                        > liked the LeMans.
                                        > Even the new bike was a little worried.
                                        >
                                        > Fortunately we intervened before anything happened.
                                        > Could you imagine
                                        > the consequences if we hadn't? A 10 speed with a
                                        > banana seat and ape
                                        > hangers? A Sting Ray with a Brooks and drops? Or
                                        > worse--I shudder to
                                        > think of it.
                                        >
                                        > So while I'm not adverse to a little bike action,
                                        > choose your uh,
                                        > pairings, carefully.
                                        >
                                        > Now the Raleigh and the Fair Lady--I could go for
                                        > another Twenty Folder...
                                        >
                                        > Shameless John
                                        >
                                        >
                                        >
                                        >
                                        >
                                        >
                                        >
                                        >


                                        - Forbes Bagatelle-Black
                                        Santa Clarita, CA

                                        Join the "Bicycle Restoration Group" at http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/Bicycle_Restoration



                                        __________________________________
                                        Start your day with Yahoo! - Make it your home page!
                                        http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
                                      Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.