Roold

  • headshox4
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 3 7:35 AM
      I picked up a Roold recently that I'd like to restore but there is very little info out there on what components were standard. Vitus tubing (straight block text before 172), all French threads. I assume it's from the 70's and used either Huret or Simplex components. Didn't get the forks, but the rear dropouts are Simplex. I'm using a old TA triple so would need a long arm rear derailleur, but can't afford a Rally, so I'm probably stuck with a heavy Huret Duopar-Eco (can't afford the titanium model either!) Any info would be appreciated. Thanks!

      Roger
      Dundee, OR
    • Steve Birmingham
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 3 3:01 PM

        Simplex made some long cage, the prestige aren’t all that great, but they’re cheap. The next level up has forged cage plates and works much better. And if you know someone updating a Peugeot, you might get lucky and get one of the sx610 all metal ones which are really nice.

        If you’re looking for something cheap that works well the really inexpensive Shimano units that run $10-20 are actually not bad at all.

        I’m planning on sorting some parts today, If I find a usable older long cage I’ll let you know.

        Steve B

        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 3 7:34 PM
          Thanks Steve! Maybe I gave the wrong impression as I don't necessarily want "cheap", I just can't justify paying $150-200 for a Campy Rally or a titanium Huret, plus I assume the bike was originally all French so I'd like to stay with French components. That leaves me with Huret, Simplex or Mavic. I've got a long arm Suntour Edge (Accushift) I'll put on it if I decide to make it a daily rider. Is this: http://velobase.com/ViewComponent.aspx?ID=82D7087F-50FC-424E-B57B-79B9947EFFA0&Enum=108&AbsPos=18 the 610 you're thinking of?

          Roger

          --- In Bicycle_Restoration@yahoogroups.com, "Steve Birmingham" <sbirmingham@...> wrote:

          > Simplex made some long cage, the prestige aren't all that great, but they're
          > cheap. The next level up has forged cage plates and works much better. And
          > if you know someone updating a Peugeot, you might get lucky and get one of
          > the sx610 all metal ones which are really nice.
          >

          > If you're looking for something cheap that works well the really inexpensive
          > Shimano units that run $10-20 are actually not bad at all.
          >
          > I'm planning on sorting some parts today, If I find a usable older long cage
          > I'll let you know.
          >

          > Steve B

        • Steve Birmingham
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 3 8:18 PM

            Yes, that’s the simplex that’s really nice. Some of the upper level Peugeots even had them anodized a gold color.

            I didn’t find anything French except for a Schwinn branded Huret Allvit. A few nice Shimano units and some Suntour, but the accushift you already have is about the same as the ones I found.

            Even with the cheaper simplex units using something other than the plastic shift levers makes a huge improvement.

            When the shop did more used bikes I convinced the owner to look at some of the “junk” that people were looking to get rid of. We got a few low end bikes with the occasional nice part.

            Nothing like finding a Shimano Crane setup on a $5 Huffy. Crane sort of became Dura-Ace, and apparently the stuff was put on to replace the positron when it broke in the mid 80’s –The Crane was “old cheap stuff” by then.

            Plenty of Mafac brakes and other nice parts too. The bikes that weren’t pretty enough to fix up were donated.

            Steve