frame identification M2H11324

  • glenn
    Message 1 of 14 , Dec 6, 2012
      serial # M2H11324, chrome frame bike that had been in a warehouse with alot of other stuff. there are no rivet holds in the head tube for an id tag from the manufacture. if anyone could help me with what it is? thanks
    • Rick Paulos
      Message 2 of 14 , Dec 6, 2012
        Looks like lots of scuffs and scratches which
        suggests it was painted and someone removed the
        paint by mechanical means. Some mfgs would
        chrome plate the entire frame then
        paint, leaving the lugs, 1/2 the fork blades and stays showing chrome.

        Top tube cable guides and non aero brakes puts it
        in the 1980s. Shimano rear & suntour front der.
        So some of the parts may have been replaced.

        pretty simple lugs. scalloped seat stays. Most
        bikes used head tube emblems held on with glue or
        double sided tape. Screws or rivets aren't so common except in Schwinns.

        All Japanese parts suggest it may be Japanese
        make. But there is no way to know if the parts are original to the bike.

        not a Raleigh, they put "Raleigh" labeled seat
        stay caps on in the 1980s chrome bikes like the Prestige and Super Course, etc.

        Not a Fuji, they quit making the chrome bikes long before then.

        Not a Schwinn Circuit, wrong seat stay and rear dropouts.

        Not a Schwinn Super LeTour 12.2 or Volare that
        were available in chrome, wrong seat stays and brake cable guides.

        Not Miyata or Bridgestone, they didn't chrome afaik.

        Rick

        Message 3 of 14 , Dec 6, 2012
          rick, what manufacture did you leave out that it might be? there is still either some clear coat or silver on the frame. it will be clean once i sort out what it is and what it's worth. now i just would like to find out who made it. the value will make the extent of finish. i have a 30's bsa track

          Message 4 of 14 , Dec 6, 2012
            what company had no holes in the head tube for there emblem ? did yu see the bsa?

            Message 5 of 14 , Dec 6, 2012
              >what company had no holes in the head tube for there emblem ?

              Now days most companys use stickers, decals, or self adhesive emblems
              on the head tube. Rivets and screws went out of style in the 1980s,
              about when your bike was made.

              >did yu see the bsa?

              Nope. BSA = British Small Arms. An old company that made/sold
              bicycles long ago.
            • diarmaede
              Message 6 of 14 , Dec 6, 2012
                Can you tell if the frame is set up for 27" or 700C wheels?

                Cheers,

                Forbes

                Message 7 of 14 , Dec 6, 2012
                  Actually, my buddy tells me that Bridgestone did sell some chromed frames, back in the day.

                  Also could be a Centurian, which came with paint over chrome.

                  Cheers,

                  Forbes

                  Message 8 of 14 , Dec 6, 2012
                    Classic Renezvous has some info on BSA:
                    http://www.classicrendezvous.com/British_isles/BSA_cycles.htm

                    There is tons of info on BSA on the web as well.

                    Oops, my mistake, BSA is Birmingham Small Arms, a common mistake by us yanks.

                    Rick

                    > i have a 30's bsa track
                  • glenn
                    Message 9 of 14 , Dec 7, 2012
                      looks like 27's, being a 12sp and the vintage. the lack of holes in the head tube for the name brands emblem it excludes most manufacturers.

                      --- In Bicycle_Restoration@yahoogroups.com, "diarmaede" <diarmaede@...> wrote:

                      > Can you tell if the frame is set up for 27" or 700C wheels?
                      >
                      > Cheers,
                      >
                      > Forbes
                      >
                      > --- In Bicycle_Restoration@yahoogroups.com, "glenn" <grdstudios@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > serial # M2H11324, chrome frame bike that had been in a warehouse with alot of other stuff. there are no rivet holds in the head tube for an id tag from the manufacture. if anyone could help me with what it is? thanks

                    • freetobike2012
                      Message 10 of 14 , Dec 7, 2012
                        In addition, there were a ton of shop brand (Palo Alto comes to mind)bikes built. I'm still trying to track down who made the ZEBRA (not zebranko..this was simply ZEBRA and the head badge was a paste on -as were the badges on the ross paragon and signature bikes of the early 80s.
                        Rich mc

                        --- In Bicycle_Restoration@yahoogroups.com, "glenn" <grdstudios@...> wrote:

                        > what company had no holes in the head tube for there emblem ? did yu see the bsa?
                        >
                        > --- In Bicycle_Restoration@yahoogroups.com, Rick Paulos <rick-paulos@> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > Looks like lots of scuffs and scratches which
                        > > suggests it was painted and someone removed the
                        > > paint by mechanical means. Some mfgs would
                        > > chrome plate the entire frame then
                        > > paint, leaving the lugs, 1/2 the fork blades and stays showing chrome.
                        > >
                        > > Top tube cable guides and non aero brakes puts it
                        > > in the 1980s. Shimano rear & suntour front der.
                        > > So some of the parts may have been replaced.
                        > >
                        > > pretty simple lugs. scalloped seat stays. Most
                        > > bikes used head tube emblems held on with glue or
                        > > double sided tape. Screws or rivets aren't so common except in Schwinns.
                        > >
                        > > All Japanese parts suggest it may be Japanese
                        > > make. But there is no way to know if the parts are original to the bike.
                        > >
                        > > not a Raleigh, they put "Raleigh" labeled seat
                        > > stay caps on in the 1980s chrome bikes like the Prestige and Super Course, etc.
                        > >
                        > > Not a Fuji, they quit making the chrome bikes long before then.
                        > >
                        > > Not a Schwinn Circuit, wrong seat stay and rear dropouts.
                        > >
                        > > Not a Schwinn Super LeTour 12.2 or Volare that
                        > > were available in chrome, wrong seat stays and brake cable guides.
                        > >
                        > > Not Miyata or Bridgestone, they didn't chrome afaik.
                        > >
                        > > Rick
                        > >

                        > > At 11:31 AM 12/6/2012, you wrote:
                        > > >

                        > > >serial # M2H11324, chrome frame bike that had
                        > > >been in a warehouse with alot of other stuff.
                        > > >there are no rivet holds in the head tube for an
                        > > >id tag from the manufacture. if anyone could help me with what it is? thanks

                      • j m
                        Message 11 of 14 , Dec 7, 2012
                          BSA = British Small Arms.
                          > An old company that made/sold bicycles long ago.

                          Off topic but I had a cheesy record player (stereo phongraph) from BSA in the late '70s, It was of course japanese made with a BSA name plate.
                        • glenn
                          Message 12 of 14 , Dec 7, 2012
                            seems like centurion has decals on the head tube and the shimano drop outs and the lugs seem correct. they had chromed accents would explain the condition of the chrome. have been looking for a registry of serial #'s? and help here, thanks glenn

                            --- In Bicycle_Restoration@yahoogroups.com, "glenn" <grdstudios@...> wrote:

                            > looks like 27's, being a 12sp and the vintage. the lack of holes in the head tube for the name brands emblem it excludes most manufacturers.
                            >
                            > --- In Bicycle_Restoration@yahoogroups.com, "diarmaede" <diarmaede@> wrote:
                            > >
                            > > Can you tell if the frame is set up for 27" or 700C wheels?
                            > >
                            > > Cheers,
                            > >
                            > > Forbes
                            > >
                            > > --- In Bicycle_Restoration@yahoogroups.com, "glenn" <grdstudios@> wrote:
                            > > >
                            > > > serial # M2H11324, chrome frame bike that had been in a warehouse with alot of other stuff. there are no rivet holds in the head tube for an id tag from the manufacture. if anyone could help me with what it is? thanks

                          • J M
                            Message 13 of 14 , Dec 7, 2012
                              -- In Bicycle_Restoration@yahoogroups.com, Rick Paulos <rick-paulos@...> wrote:

                              > Not Miyata or Bridgestone, they didn't chrome afaik.

                              I could be wrong but I do seem to remember a fully chromed miyata circa late 70's early '80s. My recollection is based on a bike a friend found at a yard sale in the late '80's, as I said I could be wrong but I thought it was a miyata.
                            • glenn
                              Message 14 of 14 , Dec 7, 2012
                                seat stays are concave at the top. not on miyata