Re: Pretty cool thing yesterday.

  • mtdmudbug
    Message 1 of 3 , May 1, 2012
      Had a similar moment with my daughter. When she was about 3 1/2 she decided she did not need the training wheels on her bike. So, out with the toolkit and she watched intently as I used the ratchet to take them off, explaining things to her as I went. After a few minutes without them she realized her confidence was a bit premature, so back on they went. I came out about twenty minutes after I had gone inside to find her tightening up the last axle nut after she had successfully taken them off again because she "was sure she didn't need them now". The little bugger had watched how I changed the ratchet direction with the lever, and on her own had found the right socket, and removed one axle nut, took off that training wheel, put the axle nut back on, flipped the bike over and repeated the process. I was flabbergasted. When she was 10 she got her own toolbox and she actually knows how to use every tool in it. At 12 now she routinely helps me rescue bikes and can perform most reasonable rebuilding and setup tasks with little or no supervision. It's awesome.