Bit of googling answered my (own) question/another question

  • Rich
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 7, 2012
      regarding the 3-4 cogs on a spider instead of free standing on some shimano HG cassettes.(the nice part about recouping from surgery and being immobile )Appears those cassettes are XT or XRT.
      Does anyone know if-used with the correct spacer-a HG 9speed cog can work in a 8spd cassette setup.
      I lent the 13 15 17 19 21 23 25 28/ 46-30 crank setup out to a friend today and he rode in the drive on the paramount with an ear to ear grin having found it so easy to climb the escarpment he cajoled the group into doing a roller coaster (down the escarpment one place and up another)4 times.
      So; I want to see if I can do a 12 14 16 18 21 24 27 30 but...I need that elusive 27t cog.
      Rich mc
    • Wayne Davidson
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 7, 2012
        Hi Rich,

        NO they will NOT interchange. The thickness of 8sp and 9sp cogs are different.

        regards wayne davidson Invers NZ..........