Brooks seat repair/hack?

  • W Spector
    Message 1 of 16 , Sep 3, 2011
      Hi,

      On my daughters 1970-era Raleigh Sports, the Brooks saddle has broken.
      The saddle is basically a B66S, but is covered in vinyl, rather than
      leather.

      There is a vertical metal rod that fixes the nose of the seat top to a
      horizontal rod going across the steel frame. It appears that the
      vertical piece cracked and broke off. This lets the seat nose 'click'
      up and down about 1/2". Here is a photo:

      http://www.flickr.com/photos/wws944/6109784598

      I am betting that this in not repairable, but wanted to get the opinions
      of the group.

      Maybe some cable ties (e.g., modern duct tape) would be a cheap savior?

      Walt
    • Forbes Black
      Message 2 of 16 , Sep 3, 2011
        I'd have to look at it up close and personal to really understand the situation, but I'd bet a nickel that you can figure SOMETHING out to hold things in place.

        Fun project!

        - Forbes

          Message 4 of 16 , Sep 3, 2011
            The vinyl Brooks saddles were never well made to begin with. You may be
            able to hack it in some way to make it work for a while longer, but your
            best bet is to find a replacement on eBay, or bite the bullet and invest
            in a leather Brooks. Sometimes you can find their popular B17 on sale
            for $60 or so at various places. It does require a lengthy break in,
            but is worth it.

          • stanwasser@bellsouth.net
            Message 5 of 16 , Sep 4, 2011
              My wife and I have installed four Brooks saddles, threeB-17's and a B-67, in
              the last three years. Neither of us experienced a long break-in time. A
              couple 30 - 40 mile rides and it was done.

              > The vinyl Brooks saddles were never well made to begin with. You may be
              > able to hack it in some way to make it work for a while longer, but your
              > best bet is to find a replacement on eBay, or bite the bullet and invest
              > in a leather Brooks. Sometimes you can find their popular B17 on sale
              > for $60 or so at various places. It does require a lengthy break in,
              > but is worth it.
            • Sean
              Message 6 of 16 , Sep 4, 2011

                I'm having trouble figuring out
                which part it is
                Can you put an arrow on this image ?

                http://www.vlerickfietsen.be/brooks/spareparts/fotos/brooks_BYB118_big.jpg
              • Mark Stonich
                Message 7 of 16 , Sep 4, 2011
                  Forbes,
                  I don't remember you mentioning having a "significant other". But if
                  you do, and she (Or he, we don't judge here.) is significantly
                  shorter than you this might be of interest.

                  http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220846940327
                  --

                  Mark Stonich;
                  BikeSmith Design & Fabrication
                  Message 8 of 16 , Sep 4, 2011
                    Now THAT'S a crazy machine.  44cm is a bit too short for my bride, unfortunately.  But I liked checking that out.

                    Cheers,

                    Message 9 of 16 , Sep 5, 2011
                      Hi Sean,

                      The image you linked to has a little different nose configuration than our seat. I am glad you posted it though, because the bracket is removable by simply removing two nuts under the springs.

                      So I disassembled it and took a few more photos. Here is the underside of the seat - showing the horizontal rod in the nose:

                      http://www.flickr.com/photos/wws944/6116550775

                      Here is the bottom of the bracket. You can see where the vertical rod snapped. It must have been cracked for a while:

                      http://www.flickr.com/photos/wws944/6117094686

                      And here is the top side of the bracket:

                      http://www.flickr.com/photos/wws944/6117094884

                      I wonder if a repair part is available? (Or if maybe someone has a trashed saddle with the same bracket?)

                      Walter

                      --- In Bicycle_Restoration@yahoogroups.com, Sean <coalandice@...> wrote:

                      > I'm having trouble figuring out
                      > which part it is
                      > Can you put an arrow on this image ?
                      >

                      > http://www.vlerickfietsen.be/brooks/spareparts/fotos/brooks_BYB118_big.jpg

                    • Steve Birmingham
                      Message 10 of 16 , Sep 5, 2011

                        I’d remove the remnants of the old rod which looks riveted on drill through the sheetmetal bit that crosses over it and put in a bolt. If there’s enough angle, a carriage bolt from the top side and a nylock nut.

                        Or an allen from below with the nylock above.

                        Steve B

                        The image you linked to has a little different nose configuration than our seat. I am glad you posted it though, because the bracket is removable by simply removing two nuts under the springs.

                        So I disassembled it and took a few more photos. Here is the underside of the seat - showing the horizontal rod in the nose:

                        http://www.flickr.com/photos/wws944/6116550775

                        Here is the bottom of the bracket. You can see where the vertical rod snapped. It must have been cracked for a while:

                        http://www.flickr.com/photos/wws944/6117094686

                        And here is the top side of the bracket:

                        http://www.flickr.com/photos/wws944/6117094884

                        I wonder if a repair part is available? (Or if maybe someone has a trashed saddle with the same bracket?)

                        Walter

                        --- In Bicycle_Restoration@yahoogroups.com, Sean <coalandice@...> wrote:

                        > I'm having trouble figuring out
                        > which part it is
                        > Can you put an arrow on this image ?
                        >

                        > http://www.vlerickfietsen.be/brooks/spareparts/fotos/brooks_BYB118_big.jpg

                      • Eric Phillips
                        Message 11 of 16 , Sep 6, 2011
                          I wonder if J.B. Weld would hold it for a bit.

                          Message 12 of 16 , Sep 6, 2011
                            That is crazy.  Perhaps if the stoker doesn't mind the captain's saddle overhead.

                            Message 13 of 16 , Sep 6, 2011
                              Yep.  If there were ever a good argument for the smaller person, being stoker, this might be it.  At 6'6", having someone ~5' tall in front of me would not hinder my view much.  But if that 5' tall person were behind me, the only thing she could see would be my ever-widening posterior.  Not that it isn't a lovely sight, but she might want to check out the scenery as well.

                              Cheers,

                              Forbes

                              Message 14 of 16 , Sep 6, 2011
                                When my son and I go out on our cheap Kent tandem, he says it's just like riding his own bike, except for a giant wall of orange (or whatever color shirt I'm wearing).  I ended up replacing the cheap chrome seatpost/welded stem, which started bending, with a Black Ops BMX chromoly seat post and used a 1" threadless headset and shims to attach his ape hanger handlebars.  That was the only way to get him back far enough so that he wasn't bouncing his helmet off my posterior.  So far I think we've gotten up to 8mph on flat ground but he absolutely loves it.

                                Message 15 of 16 , Sep 6, 2011
                                  Back in the 90s, 1890s, that is, it was
                                  considered proper for the lady to be in the
                                  front. You still see a number of such antique
                                  tandems that have links to the rear handle bars for steering.

                                  The Counterpoint tandem design works well for the
                                  taller person to be in the rear drivers seat.

                                  Rick

                                  At 01:44 PM 9/6/2011, you wrote:

                                  >Yep. If there were ever a good argument for the
                                  >smaller person, being stoker, this might be
                                  >it. At 6'6", having someone ~5' tall in front
                                  >of me would not hinder my view much. But if
                                  >that 5' tall person were behind me, the only
                                  >thing she could see would be my ever-widening
                                  >posterior. Not that it isn't a lovely sight,
                                  >but she might want to check out the scenery as well.
                                  >
                                  >Cheers,
                                  >
                                  >Forbes

                                • coalandice
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Sep 7, 2011