Re: fuji special road racer

  • shaggyinny
    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 1, 2010
      how much is this bike worth? Also, what is bugging me is that the serial number says its a 1971 model, and the fork bottoms are chromed and according to the pics at Classic Fuji they arent chromed and a thread on the net said they aren't chromed.

      John

    • will@x-net.net
      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 1, 2010
        I'm not familiar with the model you have, but the vast majority of Fuji bikes I've come across haven't been that desirable.  If your bike has higher end components, a quality steel frame (i.e. not hi-ten), and is ready to ride then it could be worth $200 or $300 to the right buyer.  If the bike is the typical steel wheeled, cottered crank, low end components type that I see frequently, then you may not even be able to give it away.

        By comparison, I've had two 70s era Fuji Sports 10 - their lower end entry level road bikes.  I converted both to single speed, completely re-done with a frame up cleaning and tuning.  On one I replaced the cottered crank for a non-cottered model, and on both I swapped the steel 27" wheels for alloy single speed setups.  I sold one $260, and another for $180 and if you count my time I lost tons of money on each.

        Fujis got a lot better in the 80s when they frequently had nice 4130 frames with good Shimano indexed components.

        Not to be completely down on Fuji, my latest roadie is a 2008 Fuji Roubaix LTD.

        On 8/1/2010 3:30 PM, shaggyinny wrote:
        how much is this bike worth? Also, what is bugging me is that the serial number says its a 1971 model, and the fork bottoms are chromed and according to the pics at Classic Fuji they arent chromed and a thread on the net said they aren't chromed.

        John

        --- In Bicycle_Restoration@yahoogroups.com, Forbes Black <diarmaede@...> wrote:

        SWEET!

        - Forbes

        according tp the serial number it was the the 302nd made in febuary of 1971. Under the ugly green bar tape was the original green bar tape.

        John

        <*> Your email settings:
            Individual Email | Traditional

        <*> To change settings online go to:
            (Yahoo! ID required)

        <*> To change settings via email:
            Bicycle_Restoration-digest@yahoogroups.com
            Bicycle_Restoration-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • shaggyinny
        Message 3 of 13 , Aug 1, 2010
          the special road racer is a s10-s, and this one is the 302nd one made in 1971, which is the 1st year they were made.

          John
        • Forbes Black
          Message 4 of 13 , Aug 1, 2010
            These old Japanese road bikes are worth more now than they were 5 years ago, but they are still not "valuable."  If you wanted to maximize the dollar value, you could convert it into a "fixie" and put shiny but cheap components on it.  You might be able to get $200 for it, but IMHO, that would be a real shame.  To my way of thinking, the bike deserves a nice restoration, either as a period-correct piece of history, or as an updated road machine.

            The S-10-S was a historic bike, a real breakthrough.  Read what Sheldon (RIP) had to say about it here:

            http://www.sheldonbrown.com/japan.html

            It's a great bike, but its greatness is not reflected in its financial value.

            Cheers,

            Forbes

            how much is this bike worth? Also, what is bugging me is that the serial number says its a 1971 model, and the fork bottoms are chromed and according to the pics at Classic Fuji they arent chromed and a thread on the net said they aren't chromed.

            John

            --- In Bicycle_Restoration@yahoogroups.com, Forbes Black <diarmaede@...> wrote:

            > SWEET!
            >
            > - Forbes

          • shaggyinny
            Message 5 of 13 , Aug 1, 2010
              ok, thanks for the info, I am going to restore it, but tying to decide if I want to put the gumwall ires on it or the continental gatorskins, I have those on my Motobecane Grand Touring and love them, but I will not be riding the Fuji as much as the Motobecane as I will have to store the Fuji at my parents house as there is no room for a 2nd bike in the Condo as we as trying to sell it and get a house.

            • will@x-net.net
              Message 6 of 13 , Aug 1, 2010
                Again, I'd have to say take a long and sober look at the components.
                The two S-10s I owned were pretty crummy when new, but they cleaned up
                fine and made handsome single speeds. I found that what held the bikes
                back were the heavy wheels and the clunky drive train. New wheels, new
                chain, delete the shifters and derailleurs... it's something to think
                about. Although the frames were hi-ten, I think they had Ishwata
                dropouts... so not completely terrible. I uploaded some pics to the
                group's website - in the album "Will's Fujis" of almost every Fuji I've
                owned including the two Sport 10s converted to fixed / single speed.

                Cheers,
                Will

                On 8/1/2010 5:11 PM, shaggyinny wrote:
                > the special road racer is a s10-s, and this one is the 302nd one made in 1971, which is the 1st year they were made.
                >
                > John

              • shaggyinny
                Message 7 of 13 , Aug 3, 2010
                  I finally got a few pics uploaded today of the Fuji. A single speed conversion sounds tempting, but with some lighter wheels, possibly even some 700mm.

                  --- In Bicycle_Restoration@yahoogroups.com, "will@..." <will@...> wrote:

                  > Again, I'd have to say take a long and sober look at the components.
                  > The two S-10s I owned were pretty crummy when new, but they cleaned up
                  > fine and made handsome single speeds. I found that what held the bikes
                  > back were the heavy wheels and the clunky drive train. New wheels, new
                  > chain, delete the shifters and derailleurs... it's something to think
                  > about. Although the frames were hi-ten, I think they had Ishwata
                  > dropouts... so not completely terrible. I uploaded some pics to the
                  > group's website - in the album "Will's Fujis" of almost every Fuji I've
                  > owned including the two Sport 10s converted to fixed / single speed.
                  >
                  > Cheers,
                  > Will
                  >
                  > On 8/1/2010 5:11 PM, shaggyinny wrote:
                  > > the special road racer is a s10-s, and this one is the 302nd one made in 1971, which is the 1st year they were made.
                  > >
                  > > John

                • Rich
                  Message 8 of 13 , Aug 3, 2010
                    Even Hi Ten frames varied in quality and gauge from the ultra heavy walled tubing used by Schwinn to be compatible with their electro forging welding technique to relatively light Hi Ten frames as made by Peugeot and some Japanese makers per my understanding. Ride quality also reportedly varied over the same range, from anvil like to relatively lively.

                    Remember that through bicycle history probably 90% or more of all steel bikes have been built from Hi Ten tubing rather than seamless butted chrome moly or manganese moly steel grades. Even today some relatively expensive bikes, particularly cargo bikes such as the Madsen, Yuba Mundo, european Bakfiets and european city/commuter bikes are made of Hi-Ten steel tubing.

                    Not the ideal material for building an ultra light and responsive racer but for most bikes quite possibly as good or a better choice than more expensive grades of steel.

                    Rich Wood