Re: [Bicycle_Restoration] Re: Bike card catalog & photo archives

  • Rick Paulos
    Message 1 of 7 , May 3, 2010
      At 12:12 PM 4/30/2010, pabradoc wrote:
      What headings did you use for your bike card catalog?I use Excel everyday but never even thought to use it for my bikes.

      serial number, brand, model, brief description ( mens/womens mtb/roadie/etc), wheel size, frame size, color, source (where purchased & when & price), sold (to & when & price)

      I also photograph most of my bikes.  That's easy with today's digital cameras.  Each bike gets a folder of it's own that is named like this:
      year.brand.model.trim
      or
      year.brand.model.SOLD

      I put related info that folder like manual scans or catalog page scans.

      by not just deleting info on sold bikes I can remember what ever happened to that one bike.

      This one time at band camp some one stole a bike from me.  Took two days to notice they took another at the same time and 2 weeks to notice a third bike was missing.  The only reason the insurance company paid off the first bike was I wrote the serial number on the check and I could come up with the processed check as proof I ever owned the bike.  Well that was long ago before the days of a 1% house value deductible and it was my parents insurance.

      I also worked in a bike shop for 10 years and it was pretty common for customers to come in asking for copies of receipts (with the serial numbers on them) for police reports and insurance claims.  Like 1 a week on average.  Some times they just wanted a replacement cost estimate.

      Bike theft is treated pretty lightly by law enforcement but they won't even bother to file reports without serial numbers since all the computer systems are based on them.

      I'm trying to remember how many bikes have been stolen from me.  Probably some i just don't remember.  Maybe some I never noticed.

      schwinn skipper I made in to a sting ray as a kid
      schwinn varsity
      schwinn collegiate
      schwinn paramount tandem
      raleigh international
      motobecane nomad
      grant's department store 3 speed
      Huffy mtb (like new)
      Huffy mtb (ugliest bike in town)

      bike theft is inevitable.  Pretty much every bike owner will get bikes stolen some time.

      Rick

    • pabradoc
      Message 2 of 7 , May 4, 2010
        Thanks for the great idea.Most of my bikes that were stolen were folders that I never locked up or my mountain bikes.Never lost a tandem but my son abducted one of mine and it "disappeared".