UNIVEGA Supra Sport Mixte - custom frame ?

  • alfjackaby
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 1, 2010
      HEY,

      I have a UNIVEGA Supra Sport Mixte frame bike.
      The catch is, the steerer tube is a full inch lower than the seat tube.
      Anyone know if this is a custom frame or just a function of the sizing of the bike ?
      All the other mixte frames, and esp. Univega mixte, that I have seen on the internet, the steerer tube appears to be the same height or a little higher.
      It also has a little crested sticker on the seat tube, just below the chrommolly tubing sticker, that i have never seen on a univega.
      It is a later issue model with the raised head badge. Dark maroon in color.
      Is this a rare beast or am I just not finding the pictures sto show me that it is a standard production model ?
      got pictures if that would help.

      SO!
      bayou country
    • will@x-net.net
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 1, 2010
        Are you sure it's simply not a small-sized step-through frame? I've
        seen many step through frames with short seat tubes and never thought of
        them as unusual. Further, Univega isn't the name I'd think of for
        custom build frames. This is doubly so for step through frames, which
        were almost always entry level frames for casual female riders, though I
        have seen a few (a tiny few) nice frames of this sort. In general,
        female riders who are serious enough about riding to order a custom
        frame would have ordered a standard geometry frame, not a step through.

        Then again, this is all just my best guessing, so hopefully someone will
        respond with more authoritative answers.

        On 3/1/2010 10:42 AM, alfjackaby wrote:
        > HEY,
        >
        > I have a UNIVEGA Supra Sport Mixte frame bike.
        > The catch is, the steerer tube is a full inch lower than the seat tube.
        > Anyone know if this is a custom frame or just a function of the sizing of the bike ?
        > All the other mixte frames, and esp. Univega mixte, that I have seen on the internet, the steerer tube appears to be the same height or a little higher.
        > It also has a little crested sticker on the seat tube, just below the chrommolly tubing sticker, that i have never seen on a univega.
        > It is a later issue model with the raised head badge. Dark maroon in color.
        > Is this a rare beast or am I just not finding the pictures sto show me that it is a standard production model ?
        > got pictures if that would help.
        >
        > SO!
        > bayou country

      • Forbes Black
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 1, 2010
          If the bike is still running the stock fork, I'd bet a nickel that the fork blades are squashed to heck.  Check it out and BE CAREFUL!  Otherwise, someone could have put on a non-stock fork and/or a small front wheel.

          If you can post photos, we could do more sleuthing.

          Cheers,

          - Forbes Black, Santa Clarita, CA
          Cycloculture - A Journal for Real World Cyclists
          http://cycloculture.com/