RE: [Bicycle_Restoration] BIKE PARTS A GO-GO

  • Frederick Miles
    Message 1 of 20 , Feb 1, 2010

      I got a bunch of misc parts which need to be thinned out.

      I'm willing to part w/ this stuff cheap

      Most of the parts are for low end 70's Roads --  Raleigh, Schwinn, Kent, & mid priced MTBs  - Giant,Trek etc.

      Parts are for rims, HB components, seat posts, rims, brakes, forks, rims

      Send me your wish list.

      Fred

      Message 2 of 20 , Feb 1, 2010
        at present I have 27 in my yard,20 in my basement 2 on the porch 3 upstairs

        --- In Bicycle_Restoration@yahoogroups.com, "dc3uscgr" <chrishope@...> wrote:

        > Too many bikes? I don't understand!
        >
        > I have 18 at last count
        >
        > --- In Bicycle_Restoration@yahoogroups.com, "chris m" <xcongamanx@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Just taking it to the lighter side in jan. Do you have too many bikes when your wife's favorite new show is Hoarders on A&E, and all she can say during the show is SEE! SEE! didn't I tell you.lol

      • joesjunkpile
        Message 3 of 20 , Feb 2, 2010
          Eight or so in the house, another 20 or so out in the garage plus 10 or 12 apart or awaiting my attention. I guess too many is when you have to pass on something really nice because you just don't have the room for another one on the rack or in the house. I've probably got a half dozen or more that I've forgotten about or have apart waiting for parts or my attention. Some have been apart for years.
          I don't see it as too many bikes, just too many hobbies.
          A few dozen bikes, a half dozen tractors, a couple of hundred outboards, and so much fishing tackle I need to catalog it in a database.
          Its not too many of anything, just not enough funds to own a place large enough to organize it all.

          Message 4 of 20 , Feb 5, 2010
            --- In Bicycle_Restoration@yahoogroups.com, "chris m" <xcongamanx@...> wrote:

            > Just taking it to the lighter side in jan. Do you have too many bikes when your wife's favorite new show is Hoarders on A&E, and all she can say during the show is SEE! SEE! didn't I tell you.lol

            Decided to add some pics here are some photos-check bike addictions album in photos.
          • sm2501@aol.com
            Message 5 of 20 , Feb 5, 2010
              We were watching American Pickers last week and my wife felt pretty good about my old bike obsession when she saw the guy who old collected buildings!

              Scott McCaskey
              Classic Bicycle News

              Message 6 of 20 , Feb 6, 2010
                --- In Bicycle_Restoration@yahoogroups.com, sm2501@... wrote:

                > We were watching American Pickers last week and my wife felt pretty
                good
                > about my old bike obsession when she saw the guy who old collected
                buildings!

                > Scott McCaskey
                > _www.thecabe.com_ (http://www.thecabe.com)
                > Classic Bicycle News
                >

                > In a message dated 2/5/2010 4:30:46 A.M. Central Standard Time,
                > xcongamanx@... writes: As much as I must admit my hobby has gone a bit
                extreme there is a guy in town who has around 150 bikes in his
                collection. when our wives complain we remind them of the actual bike
                hoarder in the area who has over 3000 in his collection.

                > --- In _Bicycle_RestorationBicycle_RestoBic_
                > (mailto:Bicycle_Restoration@yahoogroups.com) , "chris m"
                xcongamanx@xco wrote:

                > > Just taking it to the lighter side in jan. Do you have too many
                bikes
                > when your wife's favorite new show is Hoarders on A&E, and all she can
                say
                > during the show is SEE! SEE! didn't I tell you.lol
                > >
                > Decided to add some pics here are some photos-check bike addictions
                album
                > in photos.

              • joesjunkpile
                Message 7 of 20 , Feb 13, 2010
                  I've been watching that show lately, they do find some pretty rough bikes which they put some pretty outrageous prices on. I'd like to find some of their buyers.

                  Here's a pic of a hoarder we cleaned out a few years ago. Over 500 bikes in a small garage.
                  http://i49.tinypic.com/142vg9u.jpg
                  We hauled 7 loads out of that place with a 24' box truck and a 20' stock trailer. It took 5 years to sort it all out and sell it all off. About 1/3 was just junk that went for scrap.

                  Too much is defined as the point where the bikes displace things like food or sleeping space. The lot we moved was a combination between a garage and basement. I've bought out lots where entire houses were filled with old bikes.

                • will@x-net.net
                  Message 8 of 20 , Feb 13, 2010
                    Wow. That's a crazy story. I've volunteered on and off for a few years
                    now for the Working Bikes Co-Op here in Chicago. When I started they
                    were in a sketchy warehouse on the south-west of downtown. The place
                    was stacked floor to ceiling with piles of bikes, 99% bike-boom, dept.
                    store junk. Easily had a thousand or more in there. A few months ago I
                    went to their 10-year party, they have moved to a newer, nicer location
                    a few blocks away, but the owner took me in the back and showed me yet
                    another room with floor to ceiling bikes. They turn them over though,
                    and ship them out to developing countries, so it's not like they are
                    sitting them. Still, those piles are maddening to look at and work around.

                    On 2/13/2010 2:49 AM, joesjunkpile wrote:
                    > I've been watching that show lately, they do find some pretty rough bikes which they put some pretty outrageous prices on. I'd like to find some of their buyers.
                    >
                    > Here's a pic of a hoarder we cleaned out a few years ago. Over 500 bikes in a small garage.
                    > http://i49.tinypic.com/142vg9u.jpg
                    > We hauled 7 loads out of that place with a 24' box truck and a 20' stock trailer. It took 5 years to sort it all out and sell it all off. About 1/3 was just junk that went for scrap.
                    >
                    > Too much is defined as the point where the bikes displace things like food or sleeping space. The lot we moved was a combination between a garage and basement. I've bought out lots where entire houses were filled with old bikes.
                    >

                    > --- In Bicycle_Restoration@yahoogroups.com, "chris m"<xcongamanx@...> wrote:
                    > >

                    > > --- In Bicycle_Restoration@yahoogroups.com, sm2501@ wrote:
                    > > >
                    > > > We were watching American Pickers last week and my wife felt pretty
                    > > good
                    > > > about my old bike obsession when she saw the guy who old collected
                    > > buildings!
                    > > >
                    > > > Scott McCaskey
                    > > > _www.thecabe.com_ (http://www.thecabe.com)
                    > > > Classic Bicycle News
                    > > >

                    > > > In a message dated 2/5/2010 4:30:46 A.M. Central Standard Time,
                    > > > xcongamanx@ writes: As much as I must admit my hobby has gone a bit
                    > > extreme there is a guy in town who has around 150 bikes in his
                    > > collection. when our wives complain we remind them of the actual bike
                    > > hoarder in the area who has over 3000 in his collection.
                    > >

                    > > > --- In _Bicycle_RestorationBicycle_RestoBic_
                    > > > (mailto:Bicycle_Restoration@yahoogroups.com) , "chris m"

                    > > bikes
                    > > > when your wife's favorite new show is Hoarders on A&E, and all she can
                    > > say
                    > > > during the show is SEE! SEE! didn't I tell you.lol
                    > > > >
                    > > > Decided to add some pics here are some photos-check bike addictions
                    > > album
                    > > > in photos.

                  • chris m
                    Message 9 of 20 , Feb 13, 2010
                      hmm kinda reminds me of my basement!
                      --- In Bicycle_Restoration@yahoogroups.com, "joesjunkpile" <mckishen1@...> wrote:

                      > I've been watching that show lately, they do find some pretty rough bikes which they put some pretty outrageous prices on. I'd like to find some of their buyers.
                      >
                      > Here's a pic of a hoarder we cleaned out a few years ago. Over 500 bikes in a small garage.
                      > http://i49.tinypic.com/142vg9u.jpg
                      > We hauled 7 loads out of that place with a 24' box truck and a 20' stock trailer. It took 5 years to sort it all out and sell it all off. About 1/3 was just junk that went for scrap.
                      >
                      > Too much is defined as the point where the bikes displace things like food or sleeping space. The lot we moved was a combination between a garage and basement. I've bought out lots where entire houses were filled with old bikes.
                      >

                      > --- In Bicycle_Restoration@yahoogroups.com, "chris m" xcongamanx@ wrote:
                      > >

                      > > --- In Bicycle_Restoration@yahoogroups.com, sm2501@ wrote:
                      > > >
                      > > > We were watching American Pickers last week and my wife felt pretty
                      > > good
                      > > > about my old bike obsession when she saw the guy who old collected
                      > > buildings!
                      > > >
                      > > > Scott McCaskey
                      > > > _www.thecabe.com_ (http://www.thecabe.com)
                      > > > Classic Bicycle News
                      > > >

                      > > > In a message dated 2/5/2010 4:30:46 A.M. Central Standard Time,
                      > > > xcongamanx@ writes: As much as I must admit my hobby has gone a bit
                      > > extreme there is a guy in town who has around 150 bikes in his
                      > > collection. when our wives complain we remind them of the actual bike
                      > > hoarder in the area who has over 3000 in his collection.
                      > >

                      > > > --- In _Bicycle_RestorationBicycle_RestoBic_
                      > > > (mailto:Bicycle_Restoration@yahoogroups.com) , "chris m"

                      > > bikes
                      > > > when your wife's favorite new show is Hoarders on A&E, and all she can
                      > > say
                      > > > during the show is SEE! SEE! didn't I tell you.lol
                      > > > >
                      > > > Decided to add some pics here are some photos-check bike addictions
                      > > album
                      > > > in photos.

                    • Alan Lloyd
                      Message 10 of 20 , Feb 14, 2010
                        See http://workingbikes.org/image/tid/3055 for some pictures of the new location of Working Bikes at 2434 S. Western Ave., Chicago.

                        One volunteer in particular has been doing wonderful work recently sorting out the stacks of bikes and we are looking rather organised!

                        Alan Lloyd
                        Schaumburg, Illinois, U.S.A.