RE: [Bicycle_Restoration] Re: Lugged Free Spirit FS in Moorpark, CA, $15!

  • Steve Birmingham
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 1, 2009

      Sears did have some 531 bikes in around 1965-66 sold under the Ted Williams brand. And those are wonders of trashiness. Steel everything except the gears which I think were low end Campagnolo.  I’m not sure if they were using the free spirit name that early. They did have a lengthy overlap between the Ted Williams and free spirit brands in the 70’s. It’s possible that the 531 hung on till the 70’s as well, as I’ve heard of sears 531 bikes with shimano crane.

       Look for cast dropouts rather than sheet metal. If they’re cast or forged then you’ve found one of the nice ones.

      The Ted Williams bikes of any type are collectible, you should see what the card collecting guys pay for one in really nice condition. Just look at the headbadge for his signature.

      Sadly they didn’t think of getting special tubing stickers that read 521 instead of 531 that would have been very cool.

      Steve B

      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 1, 2009
        I cut up a freesprit that was lugged---or looked lugged---it was a low end frame made in Italy.