Re: Advice on upgrade or freshen up Sturmey Archer 3-speed Schwinns?

  • BarryM
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 1, 2009
      Lucky for you, they are Sturmey Archer. I have Shimano 3 speeds that are good also, but SA is the toughest. I have a different suggestion for your problem. Lube the existing cables and shifters. Use a spray lube to get in the hard to reach places and you may not need to do a lot of disassembling. If they have been garage kept, I'll bet the cables are in good enough shape to last another ten years, if properly adjusted and lubed. Those SA shifters are bulletproof, and may just need some light oil to shift smoothly. The hubs have an oil port that gets light oil also. On mine, I also add a little oil in the axle where the shift chain and rod goes in. Don't use 3in1 oil, use a good penetrating or high quality lube.
      I've had 3 speeds that were outside bikes that came back to life with just the proper lubrication and adjustment.

      Good luck on the restoration!
    • john
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 1, 2009
        Actually SA made 3 speed grip shifters (the old ones had a white bullet shaped grip) and the newer ones look just like a SRAM unit. I happen to have a genuine brand new in the bag SA twist shifter kit, shifter, cable, housing, and quick link sitting in my lap as I type this. This may be on eBay this week ;)

        --- In Bicycle_Restoration@yahoogroups.com, "mr___goodbar" <will@...> wrote:

        > Hello everyone! I'm a long-time member, but haven't been very active in recent years. I hope everyone is doing well.
        >
        > I've got a new project for which I'm seeking some advice. My girlfriend's parents have two 1970 Schwinn Collegiate bikes, his and her which they have owned since new. These are garage-kept bikes, used at their vacation home for cruising around their neighborhood. They are both equipped with Sturmey Archer 3-speed hubs.
        >
        > Since I'm the resident "bike guy" I've been tasked with tuning up these bikes, and I need to do a good job.
        >
        > Last weekend I set about replacing all the cables and housing and I ran into two snags with the shifter cables:
        >
        > 1.) These cables are crimped on each end - one end that screws into the shifter chain, the other which fits into the ratchet portion of the shifter. I don't have the proper crimp to replace the cable (my aluminum cable ends, which I crimp onto the end of brake and shifter cables are too large for this application.) If I want to replace the cable, I obviously need to buy a kit. Does anyone have any suggestions for what I should look for?
        >
        > 2.) The shifters on these bikes are fairly lousy and I'd like to replace them. You can see a picture of the shifter below. Has anyone had success upgrading these to some sort of twist shifter? I'd hate to spend time and money figuring out out a good cable solution only to have it ruined by a lousy shifter.
        >
        > http://images.andale.com/f2/115/106/3561856/1057914659770_sa_with_cover.jpg
        >
        > So, in short, in upgrading bikes with Sturmey Archer 3-speed hubs, do you have any advice, suggestions, or best practices? The hubs themselves are very low miles and I feel that once I replace the cables and shifters they will shift fine.
        >
        > Thank for any advice and guidance.

      • Steve Birmingham
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 2, 2009

          DOH! I forgot all about those old ones. Pretty nice twist grips, and also nice and durable.

          Steve

          href="http://images.andale.com/f2/115/106/3561856/1057914659770_sa_with_cover.jpg">http://images.andale.com/f2/115/106/3561856/1057914659770_sa_with_cover.jpg

        • will@x-net.net
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 2, 2009
            Hi everyone,

            I wanted to take a second and say thanks to all the responses regarding freshing up my SA equipped bikes.

            So, I'm going to order some replacement shifter cables (the cables themselves aren't in terrible shape, but the housing is cracked, and you can't replace the housing without getting rid of the special narrow cable crimps...)

            For now I'm going to stick with the original shifters, taking the advice to lube and clean them.  Hopefully clean, lube, and new cables and housing will restore the bikes to smooth shifting.  If not, I've found another SA shifter which looks to be a little more modern and robust.  You can see a picture of it here:
            http://www.freemanscycles.co.uk/product2.asp?product_id=356&pname=3%20Speed%20Shifter:%20SLS3N

            It's described as having a "classic ratio" which from what I can gather means that it pulls the same amount of cable as the original thumb shifters.

            Anyway, thanks again for your comments.  They have certainly sent me in the right direction!

            Regards,
            Will