Question re BikeGirl's trailer insulation

  • On the Road
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 30, 2007
      Hi Everyone!

      I took a peek at the membership list before posting - not many of us, but I recognise so many from other groups!  Wow!  :)  Great minds think alike!  :)

      GhostDancer, you once posted (in VanDwellers)
      "Her cabin gave her a secure place to sleep, out of the elements. It was well insulated and heated both by solar power and fuel oil.  She could cook on fuel oil or solar power. And had a home built 12volt power system for lights & radio, recharged by the sun, the wind or her bike gen-set."

      Can I ask you about the insulation and heating system?  How cold did the temperatures get?   I know body heat can do a lot in such a small space, but still, only so much.  And what did you mean by fuel oil?  (I'm picturing a little alcohol stove, used for cooking.)  And I've no clue about the solar part ...

      I'm glad you posted a little more about her on this group.  I didn't know her, but she gets more amazing the more I hear about her.  Even though I've been away the past few years, I never forgot reading about her & her trailer.

      Thanks (everyone)

      His in JOY

      (: Sunshine :)
    • Eric Shipley

        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 31, 2007
          On 3/30/07, Eric Shipley <shiplfox95@...> wrote:
          I think you emailed the wrong person

          Hi Eric,

          Ummm, I don't think so - I quoted part of an actual email written by GhostDancer in the VanDwellers group that we are both a member of (well, I still am at least).  He is also the founder & moderator of this group.

          It doesn't have to be him who answers specifically, but he knew Bike Girl best and built her shelter, so I figured he'd be the best person to ask.

          But if anyone else has seen the shelter and/or has any other knowledge or ideas, please feel to pipe up!  :)

          His in JOY

          (: Sunshine :)

        • Eric Shipley
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 31, 2007
            My apologies I misunderstood

            On the Road <Journeying@...> wrote:
            On 3/30/07, Eric Shipley <shiplfox95@...> wrote:
            I think you emailed the wrong person

            Hi Eric,

            Ummm, I don't think so - I quoted part of an actual email written by GhostDancer in the VanDwellers group that we are both a member of (well, I still am at least).  He is also the founder & moderator of this group.

            It doesn't have to be him who answers specifically, but he knew Bike Girl best and built her shelter, so I figured he'd be the best person to ask.

            But if anyone else has seen the shelter and/or has any other knowledge or ideas, please feel to pipe up!  :)

            His in JOY

            (: Sunshine :)

            Need Mail bonding?

          • Ghost Dancer
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 1, 2007
              --- In Bicycle_Camper@yahoogroups.com, "On the Road" <Journeying@...>
              wrote:

              > GhostDancer, you once posted (in VanDwellers)
              > "Her cabin gave her a secure place to sleep, out of the elements.
              It was
              > well insulated and heated both by solar power and fuel oil. She
              could cook
              > on fuel oil or solar power. And had a home built 12volt power
              system for
              > lights & radio, recharged by the sun, the wind or her bike gen-set."
              >
              > Can I ask you about the insulation and heating system? How cold
              did the
              > temperatures get? I know body heat can do a lot in such a small
              space, but
              > still, only so much. And what did you mean by fuel oil?

              <<<SNIP>>>

              Fuel Oil *** as in Diesel fuel, No.1 or No.2 grade *** The type used
              in farm tractors & dozers. (No.2) No.1 is a higher grade, burns
              hotter & with less smoke, but also costs more. I use it only in very
              cold areas where No.2 might gel up.

              The insulation was all Reflextix because it is so thin & light.
              If I was to build another such cabin I would use a foam core panel on
              the wood walls & Reflextix in the canvas walls.

              How cold was it?
              We learned the value of snow pack as insulation!

              Also candels can be used to help heat a small space as well as add
              light. But in my case (and also in hers, as I was around so much) I
              have so many problems with breathing that inside smoke & oders had to
              be limited.

              The heater was very much like the unit called "Mr. Keens Heater" from
              the *VanDwellers* group photos.
              ((A file that should be brought over here))
              It is a simple "Pulse Jet" style of heater. Fuel slow drips into a
              burner, pulses a flame, and huffs out smoke while heating the pipe
              that the burner is in. The trick is to extrack the heat from the pipe
              without losing too much or taking out too much to slow the smoke
              exhuast. We got very lucky! Hers worked! And it was very small &
              light weight!

              <<<SNIP>>>
              I realy must finnish her story! Her life was a true insperation!
              If only I had the time! (and ability to type) I miss her!

              Ghost Dancer ... Packing up to head out again. ... Life in just two
              bags, another week in a road truck.
              <<<SNIP>>>

              > I'm glad you posted a little more about her on this group. I
              didn't know
              > her, but she gets more amazing the more I hear about her. Even
              though I've
              > been away the past few years, I never forgot reading about her & her
              > trailer.
              >
              > Thanks (everyone)
              >
              > His in JOY
              >
              > (: Sunshine :)

            • On the Road
              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 1, 2007
                Hi Ghost Dancer!!  :)

                On 4/1/07, Ghost Dancer <sotsw@...> wrote:
                > "Her cabin gave her a secure place to sleep, out of the elements.  It was well insulated and heated both by solar power and fuel oil.  She could cook on fuel oil or solar power. And had a home built 12volt power system for lights & radio, recharged by the sun, the wind or her bike gen-set ."

                What did you mean by solar heat & cooking? Do you mean a solar cooker box for food?  Or something different?  How did it work for heat?  (I'm sorry, I'm just trying to picture it!)

                On a somewhat different note, it wouldn't take a lot of fuel to heat a quart/liter of water & pour it into a pop bottle or lexan/nalgene bottle & use it as a hot water bottle.  One would like a reasonably heated cabin, but you especially want a warm bed!

                And the water doesn't go to waste - you use for cooking in the morning, washing, or drinking.  I find the water is still "warm" in the morning - not hot, but warmer than room temperature.  Especially nice b/c in my case, room temperature is still pretty cold!  :)

                The insulation was all Reflextix because it is so thin & light.  If I was to build another such cabin I would use a foam core panel on the wood walls & Reflextix in the canvas walls.

                I haven't used this (yet); some people caution using it b/c once it gets wet (like from breath condensation) it loses its abilities.  Did you notice this?  On the plus side, it's lighter than foam & more flexible.  :)

                How cold was it?
                We learned the value of snow pack as insulation!

                :)

                I realy must finnish her story! Her life was a true insperation!
                If only I had the time! (and ability to type) I miss her!

                Yes, please!!  :)

                Thanks for the reply!  :)

                His in JOY

                (: Sunshine :)