Hub Motor

  • Wade Kilpatrick
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 25, 2006
      Hi Dancer,
      Glad I found this Group! Have you looked into an electric hub motor for the front wheel of your bike? The cheaper ones will run about $250 and will power you down the road at around 15 mph for about 18 miles. The best ones will get you up to 30 mph for 25 miles or better. That can cost over a thousand. I've been thinking about getting a bike to commute but would like to get a hub motor to get there a little faster.
      So you're thinking "but how would I charge it?" I was thinking about this today. Honda has a 1000 watt portable generator that weighs 29 lbs. They've got a smaller one that only weighs 19 lbs but not sure if they still make that one. You could top off battery as needed and probably get many hundreds of miles to the gallon!
      And if I ever attempt that cross country bicycle trip I've dreamed about, it will be done with a Kifaru tipi. Would be very simple to carry it and the generator in a bike trailer and be totally independant. Could even have satellite radio!

      Regards,
      Wade
    • Ghost Dancer
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 9, 2006
        >>> So you're thinking "but how would I charge it?" I was thinking
        about this today. <<<

        I currently have the "Wilderness Energy BD36" hub motor on my Trek
        3700. I have their *Extended* range (three 12 aHr batteries) battery
        pack plus a second pack made with three 7 aHr batteries. A switch
        controles what pack is ~ON~ when & also controles pack charging. The 4
        position switch has a setting for "A" (12 aHr), "Off" (both packs
        off), "B" (7aHr), and "A-B".
        The "A-B" position is used to charge the two packs together, and once
        to "limp" home after I'd gone out too far.
        CHARGING;
        I use the 2 amp 36 volt charger that came with the kit to charge the
        packs. I can charge one pack at a time or both together if I have
        enough time.
        A secondary charger has been designed but I still lack some parts to
        put it all together. Three 12 volt, 5 watt solar panels wired for 36
        volts will assist in re-charge of the packs while I'm at work.
        I wanted to use 3 Uni-Solar Flex 11's but just don't have the cash for
        them. Maybe some day? Or perhaps I can get two more of the Flex 32's
        to go with the one that I have, and recharge a 41 aHr pack on a
        recumbent trike?

        >>> And if I ever attempt that cross country bicycle trip I've dreamed
        about, it will be done with a Kifaru tipi. Would be very simple to
        carry it and the generator in a bike trailer and be totally
        independant. Could even have satellite radio! <<<

        I'm thinking of putting together a trailer based camper to use on
        overnighter trips. A micro-cabin something like "Bike-Girls" shack.
        Folding wood framed canvas panels (Her panels were all wood) with two
        walls & a roof of canvas. A lashdown cover of the trailer could double
        as the roof plus have Solar cells sewn on.

        Solar cells sewn onto pannier bags and covers could recharge NiMH
        batteries to operate radio's, lights & the laptop.
        Since the laptop already provides me with my phone service (Skype) and
        my AM/FM/SW radio fix plus TV & WX all I need is to park within a few
        miles of a hotspot. (AM/FM/SW/TV all work without the connection.
        Skype & WX require the connection.)

        Welcome to the group Wade!
        Put your surfing skills to work. Find more cool stuff!

        Dancer
      • Wade Kilpatrick
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 9, 2006
          --- In Bicycle_Camper@yahoogroups.com, "Ghost Dancer" <sotsw@...> wrote:

          > about this today. <<<
          >
          > I currently have the "Wilderness Energy BD36" hub motor on my Trek
          > 3700. I have their *Extended* range (three 12 aHr batteries) battery
          > pack plus a second pack made with three 7 aHr batteries. A switch
          > controles what pack is ~ON~ when & also controles pack charging. The 4
          > position switch has a setting for "A" (12 aHr), "Off" (both packs
          > off), "B" (7aHr), and "A-B".
          > The "A-B" position is used to charge the two packs together, and once
          > to "limp" home after I'd gone out too far.
          > CHARGING;
          > I use the 2 amp 36 volt charger that came with the kit to charge the
          > packs. I can charge one pack at a time or both together if I have
          > enough time.
          > A secondary charger has been designed but I still lack some parts to
          > put it all together. Three 12 volt, 5 watt solar panels wired for 36
          > volts will assist in re-charge of the packs while I'm at work.
          > I wanted to use 3 Uni-Solar Flex 11's but just don't have the cash for
          > them. Maybe some day? Or perhaps I can get two more of the Flex 32's
          > to go with the one that I have, and recharge a 41 aHr pack on a
          > recumbent trike?

          > about, it will be done with a Kifaru tipi. Would be very simple to
          > carry it and the generator in a bike trailer and be totally
          > independant. Could even have satellite radio! <<<
          >

          > I'm thinking of putting together a trailer based camper to use on
          > overnighter trips. A micro-cabin something like "Bike-Girls" shack.
          > Folding wood framed canvas panels (Her panels were all wood) with two
          > walls & a roof of canvas. A lashdown cover of the trailer could double
          > as the roof plus have Solar cells sewn on.
          >
          > Solar cells sewn onto pannier bags and covers could recharge NiMH
          > batteries to operate radio's, lights & the laptop.
          > Since the laptop already provides me with my phone service (Skype) and
          > my AM/FM/SW radio fix plus TV & WX all I need is to park within a few
          > miles of a hotspot. (AM/FM/SW/TV all work without the connection.
          > Skype & WX require the connection.)
          >

          > Welcome to the group Wade!
          > Put your surfing skills to work. Find more cool stuff!
          >
          > Dancer

          Thanks Dancer! Gotta few websites you might find interesting!

          Wade