20 Major Messianic Prophecies

  • Bruce
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 29, 2012
      Isaiah 52:13-53:12
      Isaiah 49:1-7
      Isaiah 42:1-9
      Isaiah 50:4-10
      Psalm 118:22-23
      Psalm 22:1-31
      Psalm 16:7-11
      Psalm 110:1-6
      Micah 5:2
      Isaiah 7:14
      Isaiah 9:6-7
      Psalm 2:1-12
      Isaiah 11:1-10
      Daniel 9:24-27
      Malachi 3:1-6
      Genesis 49:10
      Zechariah 9:9
      Zechariah 12:10-13:1
      Daniel 7:13-14
      Jeremiah 31:31-34

      Prophecy: Isaiah 52:13-53:12

      13 See, my servant will act wisely;
      he will be raised and lifted up and highly exalted.
      14 Just as there were many who were appalled at him-
      his appearance was so disfigured beyond that of any man
      and his form marred beyond human likeness-
      15 so will he sprinkle many nations,
      and kings will shut their mouths because of him.
      For what they were not told, they will see,
      and what they have not heard, they will understand.

      Isaiah 53 1 Who has believed our message
      and to whom has the arm of the LORD been revealed?
      2 He grew up before him like a tender shoot,
      and like a root out of dry ground.
      He had no beauty or majesty to attract us to him,
      nothing in his appearance that we should desire him.
      3 He was despised and rejected by men,
      a man of sorrows, and familiar with suffering.
      Like one from whom men hide their faces
      he was despised, and we esteemed him not.
      4 Surely he took up our infirmities
      and carried our sorrows,
      yet we considered him stricken by God,
      smitten by him, and afflicted.
      5 But he was pierced for our transgressions,
      he was crushed for our iniquities;
      the punishment that brought us peace was upon him,
      and by his wounds we are healed.
      6 We all, like sheep, have gone astray,
      each of us has turned to his own way;
      and the LORD has laid on him
      the iniquity of us all.
      7 He was oppressed and afflicted,
      yet he did not open his mouth;
      he was led like a lamb to the slaughter,
      and as a sheep before her shearers is silent,
      so he did not open his mouth.
      8 By oppression and judgment he was taken away.
      And who can speak of his descendants?
      For he was cut off from the land of the living;
      for the transgression of my people he was stricken.
      9 He was assigned a grave with the wicked,
      and with the rich in his death,
      though he had done no violence,
      nor was any deceit in his mouth.
      10 Yet it was the LORD's will to crush him and cause him to suffer,
      and though the LORD makes his life a guilt offering,
      he will see his offspring and prolong his days,
      and the will of the LORD will prosper in his hand.
      11 After the suffering of his soul,
      he will see the light of life and be satisfied;
      by his knowledge my righteous servant will justify many,
      and he will bear their iniquities.
      12 Therefore I will give him a portion among the great,
      and he will divide the spoils with the strong,
      because he poured out his life unto death,
      and was numbered with the transgressors.
      For he bore the sin of many, and made
      intercession for the transgressors.

      Fulfillment: 1 Peter 2:22-25; Romans 5:6-8; Philippians 2:6-11

      Prophecy: Isaiah 42:1-9

      1 "Here is my servant, whom I uphold,
      my chosen one in whom I delight;
      I will put my Spirit on him
      and he will bring justice to the nations.
      2 He will not shout or cry out,
      or raise his voice in the streets.
      3 A bruised reed he will not break,
      and a smoldering wick he will not snuff out.
      In faithfulness he will bring forth justice;
      4 he will not falter or be discouraged
      till he establishes justice on earth.
      In his law the islands will put their hope."
      5 This is what God the LORD says-
      he who created the heavens and stretched them out,
      who spread out the earth and all that comes out of it,
      who gives breath to its people,
      and life to those who walk on it:
      6 "I, the LORD, have called you in righteousness;
      I will take hold of your hand.
      I will keep you and will make you
      to be a covenant for the people
      and a light for the Gentiles,
      7 to open eyes that are blind,
      to free captives from prison
      and to release from the dungeon those who sit in darkness.
      8 "I am the LORD ; that is my name!
      I will not give my glory to another
      or my praise to idols.
      9 See, the former things have taken place,
      and new things I declare;
      before they spring into being
      I announce them to you."

      Fulfillment: Matthew 12:9-21

      Prophecy: Isaiah 49:1-7

      1 Listen to me, you islands;
      hear this, you distant nations:
      Before I was born the LORD called me;
      from my birth he has made mention of my name.
      2 He made my mouth like a sharpened sword,
      in the shadow of his hand he hid me;
      he made me into a polished arrow
      and concealed me in his quiver.
      3 He said to me, "You are my servant,
      Israel, in whom I will display my splendor."
      4 But I said, "I have labored to no purpose;
      I have spent my strength in vain and for nothing.
      Yet what is due me is in the LORD's hand,
      and my reward is with my God."
      5 And now the LORD says-
      he who formed me in the womb to be his servant
      to bring Jacob back to him
      and gather Israel to himself,
      for I am honored in the eyes of the LORD
      and my God has been my strength-
      6 he says: "It is too small a thing for you to be my servant
      to restore the tribes of Jacob
      and bring back those of Israel I have kept.
      I will also make you a light for the Gentiles,
      that you may bring my salvation to the ends of the earth."
      7 This is what the LORD says-
      the Redeemer and Holy One of Israel-
      to him who was despised and abhorred by the nation,
      to the servant of rulers:
      "Kings will see you and rise up,
      princes will see and bow down,
      because of the LORD, who is faithful,
      the Holy One of Israel, who has chosen you."

      Fulfillment: Luke 4:16-20; Romans 11:25-26

      Prophecy: Isaiah 50:4-10

      4 The Sovereign LORD has given me an instructed tongue,
      to know the word that sustains the weary.
      He wakens me morning by morning,
      wakens my ear to listen like one being taught.
      5 The Sovereign LORD has opened my ears,
      and I have not been rebellious;
      I have not drawn back.
      6 I offered my back to those who beat me,
      my cheeks to those who pulled out my beard;
      I did not hide my face
      from mocking and spitting.
      7 Because the Sovereign LORD helps me,
      I will not be disgraced.
      Therefore have I set my face like flint,
      and I know I will not be put to shame.
      8 He who vindicates me is near.
      Who then will bring charges against me?
      Let us face each other!
      Who is my accuser?
      Let him confront me!
      9 It is the Sovereign LORD who helps me.
      Who is he that will condemn me?
      They will all wear out like a garment;
      the moths will eat them up.
      10 Who among you fears the LORD
      and obeys the word of his servant?
      Let him who walks in the dark,
      who has no light,
      trust in the name of the LORD
      and rely on his God.

      Fulfillment: Matthew 26:67; 27:27-31

      Prophecy: Psalm 118:22-23

      22 The stone the builders rejected
      has become the capstone;
      23 the LORD has done this,
      and it is marvelous in our eyes.

      Fulfillment: Matthew 21:33-44

      Prophecy: Psalm 22:1-31

      1 My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?
      Why are you so far from saving me,
      so far from the words of my groaning?
      2 O my God, I cry out by day, but you do not answer,
      by night, and am not silent.
      3 Yet you are enthroned as the Holy One;
      you are the praise of Israel.
      4 In you our fathers put their trust;
      they trusted and you delivered them.
      5 They cried to you and were saved;
      in you they trusted and were not disappointed.
      6 But I am a worm and not a man,
      scorned by men and despised by the people.
      7 All who see me mock me;
      they hurl insults, shaking their heads:
      8 "He trusts in the LORD ;
      let the LORD rescue him.
      Let him deliver him,
      since he delights in him."
      9 Yet you brought me out of the womb;
      you made me trust in you
      even at my mother's breast.
      10 From birth I was cast upon you;
      from my mother's womb you have been my God.
      11 Do not be far from me,
      for trouble is near
      and there is no one to help.
      12 Many bulls surround me;
      strong bulls of Bashan encircle me.
      13 Roaring lions tearing their prey
      open their mouths wide against me.
      14 I am poured out like water,
      and all my bones are out of joint.
      My heart has turned to wax;
      it has melted away within me.
      15 My strength is dried up like a potsherd,
      and my tongue sticks to the roof of my mouth;
      you lay me in the dust of death.
      16 Dogs have surrounded me;
      a band of evil men has encircled me,
      they have pierced my hands and my feet.
      17 I can count all my bones;
      people stare and gloat over me.
      18 They divide my garments among them
      and cast lots for my clothing.
      19 But you, O LORD, be not far off;
      O my Strength, come quickly to help me.
      20 Deliver my life from the sword,
      my precious life from the power of the dogs.
      21 Rescue me from the mouth of the lions;
      save me from the horns of the wild oxen.
      22 I will declare your name to my brothers;
      in the congregation I will praise you.
      23 You who fear the LORD, praise him!
      All you descendants of Jacob, honor him!
      Revere him, all you descendants of Israel!
      24 For he has not despised or disdained
      the suffering of the afflicted one;
      he has not hidden his face from him
      but has listened to his cry for help.
      25 From you comes the theme of my praise in the great assembly;
      before those who fear you will I fulfill my vows.
      26 The poor will eat and be satisfied;
      they who seek the LORD will praise him-
      may your hearts live forever!
      27 All the ends of the earth
      will remember and turn to the LORD,
      and all the families of the nations
      will bow down before him,
      28 for dominion belongs to the LORD
      and he rules over the nations.
      29 All the rich of the earth will feast and worship;
      all who go down to the dust will kneel before him-
      those who cannot keep themselves alive.
      30 Posterity will serve him;
      future generations will be told about the Lord.
      31 They will proclaim his righteousness
      to a people yet unborn-
      for he has done it.

      Fulfillment: Mark 15:16-37; 16:1-7

      Prophecy: Psalm 16:7-11

      7 I will praise the LORD, who counsels me;
      even at night my heart instructs me.
      8 I have set the LORD always before me.
      Because he is at my right hand,
      I will not be shaken.
      9 Therefore my heart is glad and my tongue rejoices;
      my body also will rest secure,
      10 because you will not abandon me to the grave,
      nor will you let your Holy One see decay.
      11 You have made known to me the path of life;
      you will fill me with joy in your presence,
      with eternal pleasures at your right hand.

      Fulfillment: Acts 2:22-33

      Prophecy: Psalm 110:1-6

      1 The LORD says to my Lord:
      "Sit at my right hand
      until I make your enemies
      a footstool for your feet."
      2 The LORD will extend your mighty scepter from Zion;
      you will rule in the midst of your enemies.
      3 Your troops will be willing
      on your day of battle.
      Arrayed in holy majesty,
      from the womb of the dawn
      you will receive the dew of your youth.
      4 The LORD has sworn
      and will not change his mind:
      "You are a priest forever,
      in the order of Melchizedek."
      5 The Lord is at your right hand;
      he will crush kings on the day of his wrath.
      6 He will judge the nations, heaping up the dead
      and crushing the rulers of the whole earth.

      Fulfillment: Matthew 22:41-46; Acts 2:34-36; Acts 7:56; Hebrews 7:11-22

      Prophecy: Micah 5:2

      2 "But you, Bethlehem Ephrathah,
      though you are small among the clans of Judah,
      out of you will come for me
      one who will be ruler over Israel,
      whose origins are from of old,
      from ancient times."

      Fulfillment: Luke 2:1-7; Matthew 2:1-6

      Prophecy: Isaiah 7:14

      14 Therefore the Lord himself will give you a sign: The young maiden (virgin) will be with child and will give birth to a son, and will call him Immanuel.

      Fulfillment: Matthew 1:18-23

      Prophecy: Isaiah 9:6-7

      6 For to us a child is born,
      to us a son is given,
      and the government will be on his shoulders.
      And he will be called
      Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God,
      Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.
      7 Of the increase of his government and peace
      there will be no end.
      He will reign on David's throne
      and over his kingdom,
      establishing and upholding it
      with justice and righteousness
      from that time on and forever.
      The zeal of the LORD Almighty
      will accomplish this.

      Fulfillment: Luke 1:31-33; Romans 1:1-4; John 1:1-4; Colossians 2:9

      Prophecy: Psalm 2:1-12

      1 Why do the nations conspire
      and the peoples plot in vain?
      2 The kings of the earth take their stand
      and the rulers gather together
      against the LORD
      and against his Anointed One.
      3 "Let us break their chains," they say,
      "and throw off their fetters."
      4 The One enthroned in heaven laughs;
      the Lord scoffs at them.
      5 Then he rebukes them in his anger
      and terrifies them in his wrath, saying,
      6 "I have installed my King
      on Zion, my holy hill."
      7 I will proclaim the decree of the LORD :
      He said to me, "You are my Son;
      today I have become your Father.
      8 Ask of me,
      and I will make the nations your inheritance,
      the ends of the earth your possession.
      9 You will rule them with an iron scepter;
      you will dash them to pieces like pottery."
      10 Therefore, you kings, be wise;
      be warned, you rulers of the earth.
      11 Serve the LORD with fear
      and rejoice with trembling.
      12 Kiss the Son, lest he be angry
      and you be destroyed in your way,
      for his wrath can flare up in a moment.
      Blessed are all who take refuge in him.

      Fulfillment: Matthew 3:17; Revelation 19:11-16

      Prophecy: Isaiah 11:1-10

      1 A shoot will come up from the stump of Jesse;
      from his roots a Branch will bear fruit.
      2 The Spirit of the LORD will rest on him-
      the Spirit of wisdom and of understanding,
      the Spirit of counsel and of power,
      the Spirit of knowledge and of the fear of the LORD -
      3 and he will delight in the fear of the LORD .
      He will not judge by what he sees with his eyes,
      or decide by what he hears with his ears;
      4 but with righteousness he will judge the needy,
      with justice he will give decisions for the poor of the earth.
      He will strike the earth with the rod of his mouth;
      with the breath of his lips he will slay the wicked.
      5 Righteousness will be his belt
      and faithfulness the sash around his waist.
      6 The wolf will live with the lamb,
      the leopard will lie down with the goat,
      the calf and the lion and the yearling together;
      and a little child will lead them.
      7 The cow will feed with the bear,
      their young will lie down together,
      and the lion will eat straw like the ox.
      8 The infant will play near the hole of the cobra,
      and the young child put his hand into the viper's nest.
      9 They will neither harm nor destroy
      on all my holy mountain,
      for the earth will be full of the knowledge of the LORD
      as the waters cover the sea.
      10 In that day the Root of Jesse will stand as a banner
      for the peoples; the nations will rally to him, and his
      place of rest will be glorious.

      Fulfillment: Romans 15:12; Revelation 21:1-7

      Prophecy: Daniel 9:24-27

      24 "Seventy 'sevens' are decreed for your people
      and your holy city to finish transgression, to put
      an end to sin, to atone for wickedness, to bring in
      everlasting righteousness, to seal up vision and prophecy
      and to anoint the most holy.
      25 "Know and understand
      this: From the issuing of the decree to restore and rebuild
      Jerusalem until the Anointed One, the ruler, comes, there
      will be seven 'sevens,' and sixty-two 'sevens.' It will be
      rebuilt with streets and a trench, but in times of trouble.
      26 After the sixty-two 'sevens,' the Anointed One will be cut
      off and will have nothing. The people of the ruler who will
      come will destroy the city and the sanctuary. The end will
      come like a flood: War will continue until the end, and
      desolations have been decreed.
      27 He will confirm a covenant with many for one 'seven.'
      In the middle of the 'seven' he will put an end to sacrifice
      and offering. And on a wing of the temple he will set up
      an abomination that causes desolation, until the end that
      is decreed is poured out on him.

      Fulfillment: Hebrews 7:27; 9:24-28

      Prophecy: Malachi 3:1-6

      1 "See, I will send my messenger, who will prepare the
      way before me. Then suddenly the Lord you are seeking
      will come to his temple; the messenger of the covenant,
      whom you desire, will come," says the LORD Almighty.
      But who can endure the day of his coming?
      Who can stand when he appears? For he will be like a
      refiner's fire or a launderer's soap.
      3 He will sit as a refiner
      and purifier of silver; he will purify the Levites and refine
      them like gold and silver. Then the LORD will have men
      who will bring offerings in righteousness,
      4 and the offerings
      of Judah and Jerusalem will be acceptable to the LORD,
      as in days gone by, as in former years.
      5 "So I will come near to you for judgment. I will be quick
      to testify against sorcerers, adulterers and perjurers, against those
      who defraud laborers of their wages, who oppress the widows
      and the fatherless, and deprive aliens of justice, but do not fear
      me," says the LORD Almighty.
      6 "I the LORD do not change.
      So you, O descendants of Jacob, are not destroyed.

      Fulfillment: Matthew 21:10-13

      Prophecy: Genesis 49:10

      10 The scepter will not depart from Judah,
      nor the ruler's staff from between his feet,
      until he comes to whom it belongs
      and the obedience of the nations is his.

      Fulfillment: Revelation 5:5-14

      Prophecy: Zechariah 9:9

      9 Rejoice greatly, O Daughter of Zion!
      Shout, Daughter of Jerusalem!
      See, your king comes to you,
      righteous and having salvation,
      gentle and riding on a donkey,
      on a colt, the foal of a donkey.

      Fulfillment: Matthew 21:1-11

      Prophecy: Zechariah 12:10-13:1

      10 "And I will pour out on the house of David and the inhabitants
      of Jerusalem a spirit of grace and supplication. They will look
      on me, the one they have pierced, and they will mourn for him
      as one mourns for an only child, and grieve bitterly for him as
      one grieves for a firstborn son.
      11 On that day the weeping in
      Jerusalem will be great, like the weeping of Hadad Rimmon
      in the plain of Megiddo.
      12 The land will mourn, each clan by
      itself, with their wives by themselves: the clan of the house
      f David and their wives, the clan of the house of Nathan and
      their wives,
      13 the clan of the house of Levi and their wives,
      the clan of Shimei and their wives,
      14 and all the rest of the
      clans and their wives.

      Zechariah 13: 1 "On that day a fountain
      will be opened to the house of David and the inhabitants of
      Jerusalem, to cleanse them from sin and impurity.

      Fulfillment: John 19:31-37; Revelation 1:7

      Prophecy: Daniel 7:13-14

      13 "In my vision at night I looked, and there before me was
      one like a son of man, coming with the clouds of heaven.
      He approached the Ancient of Days and was led into his presence.
      14 He was given authority, glory and sovereign power; all peoples,
      nations and men of every language worshiped him. His dominion
      is an everlasting dominion that will not pass away, and his kingdom
      is one that will never be destroyed.

      Fulfillment: Matthew 24:26-30; Mark 14:60-62

      Prophecy: Jeremiah 31:31-34

      31 "The time is coming," declares the LORD,
      "when I will make a new covenant
      with the house of Israel
      and with the house of Judah.
      32 It will not be like the covenant
      I made with their forefathers
      when I took them by the hand
      to lead them out of Egypt,
      because they broke my covenant,
      though I was a husband to them,"
      declares the LORD .
      33 "This is the covenant I will make with the house of Israel
      after that time," declares the LORD .
      "I will put my law in their minds
      and write it on their hearts.
      I will be their God,
      and they will be my people.
      34 No longer will a man teach his neighbor,
      or a man his brother, saying, 'Know the LORD,'
      because they will all know me,
      from the least of them to the greatest,"
      declares the LORD .
      "For I will forgive their wickedness
      and will remember their sins no more."

      Fulfillment: 1 Corinthians 11:23-26; Hebrews 8:7-13
    • George
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 29, 2012
        Thanks Bruce.  I'm going to save these.