Re: Christian and/or Unitarian

  • Craig
    Message 1 of 17 , Jan 1, 2011

      Agreed. Before the first council of Nicea, at least part of the church remained pure. After the council, these brethren were persecuted almost to extinction by what has become the Catholic Church, and to a degree, the Orthodox Churches. Later in history, these policies were continued even in the Protestant church - look what happened to Michael Servetus. And Jesus preached a gospel of love!

      Message 2 of 17 , Jan 1, 2011

        Religion can certainly be quantified as cultural in many communities. Anybody who steps out of this culture is seen as heretic and faces consequences that are sometimes horrendous. In my personal case, there have been consequences, however, these are light in comparison. In my view, one is only able to authentically understand a particular religion through personal experience. I have only practiced "Christianity". However, the basis of my faith is a personal relationship with God, and I have experienced many encounters with Him that confound any doubts that may arise about Him. I am entirely convinced that God is there, that He cares for me and that I am part of His family.

        I have also explored other "ways", obviously not as extensively as you have, but have definitely reached a conclusion about my personal belief system. This is something to treasure and protect, and I sincerely hope and trust that you shall find your own spiritual reality.

        --- In Biblical_Unitarian@yahoogroups.com, "Beatrix" <stoa@...> wrote:

        > New to this list, perhaps I should not jump into this particular
        > thread--but it focuses on questions over which I have given
        > considerable thought. At least for me, I have pondered over
        > the Christ in terms of "god imagery" or even as an "archetype."
        > Or even as a "cultural meme." Regardless, Christ as a particular
        > Imago Dei would seem a choice that some make. But, again,
        > it would seem more about imagery than reality.
        >
        > On the other hand, perhaps it is by our personal or cultural
        > god imagery that somehow we touch at least the contours
        > of a Reality that some call "God."
        >
        > p.s. I am a spiritual explorer, meandering every which way.
        > I've wandered through some different paths, ranging from
        > monastic to scholastic to Nature to Creation to Cosmic.
        >
        > Respectfully,
        > --Beatrix
        > http://bmurrell.multiply.com

      • George
        Message 3 of 17 , Jan 1, 2011
          Amen!  You are part of the family of God!  By the way,  I have another group called "Family of God".  If you are interested I'll post the link here.

          Brother in Christ,  George...

          Blessed are they that hunger and thirst after righteousness for they shall be filled.

          Religion can certainly be quantified as cultural in many communities. Anybody who steps out of this culture is seen as heretic and faces consequences that are sometimes horrendous. In my personal case, there have been consequences, however, these are light in comparison. In my view, one is only able to authentically understand a particular religion through personal experience. I have only practiced "Christianity". However, the basis of my faith is a personal relationship with God, and I have experienced many encounters with Him that confound any doubts that may arise about Him. I am entirely convinced that God is there, that He cares for me and that I am part of His family.

          I have also explored other "ways", obviously not as extensively as you have, but have definitely reached a conclusion about my personal belief system. This is something to treasure and protect, and I sincerely hope and trust that you shall find your own spiritual reality.

          Blessings

          Craig
          Preach the gospel at all times: if necessary, use words.

          --- In Biblical_Unitarian@yahoogroups.com, "Beatrix" <stoa@...> wrote:

          > New to this list, perhaps I should not jump into this particular
          > thread--but it focuses on questions over which I have given
          > considerable thought. At least for me, I have pondered over
          > the Christ in terms of "god imagery" or even as an "archetype."
          > Or even as a "cultural meme." Regardless, Christ as a particular
          > Imago Dei would seem a choice that some make. But, again,
          > it would seem more about imagery than reality.
          >
          > On the other hand, perhaps it is by our personal or cultural
          > god imagery that somehow we touch at least the contours
          > of a Reality that some call "God."
          >
          > p.s. I am a spiritual explorer, meandering every which way.
          > I've wandered through some different paths, ranging from
          > monastic to scholastic to Nature to Creation to Cosmic.
          >
          > Respectfully,
          > --Beatrix
          > http://bmurrell.multiply.com

        • Beatrix
          Message 4 of 17 , Jan 1, 2011
            "Craig" <craig.boyd35@...> wrote:
            << ...I have only practiced "Christianity". However, the basis
            of my faith is a personal relationship with God... and I sincerely
            hope and trust that you shall find your own spiritual reality. >>

            Culturally I still cling to Christ as my particular "Imago Dei."
            However, that imagery (for me) has evolved over my many
            years. I am prone more towards the idea of the Cosmic Christ,
            stemming from the ancient Christian concept of the Pantocrator.

            On the other hand, I have experienced a sense of God
            personally. In this I mainly don't take a dogmatic approach,
            but rather just stand in awe that somehow I have been made
            aware of a Greater Reality that actually cares about me!

            This awareness prompted me along my various paths over
            the years. These paths don't remove me from my own chosen
            Imago Dei, which remains the Cosmic Christ. But these paths
            also have made me very aware of our various forms of god
            imagery throughout the many cultures operative in our world.

            We are persons, who at this stage of our development need
            a personal relationship with this Greater Reality--hence,
            more than often most of us humans require our God be a
            Person. And why not? If evolutionary development over a
            long period of Deep Time produces "persons," well this
            would suggest that a PERSON (in whatever form) has coded
            or chosen persons to be created ultimately. So it would
            seem (again, to me) that our god imagery is mostly on track.

            At this point, I wonder what might be next in our development
            of the Christ--how we see him. Where might the Scriptures
            (both exoteric and esoteric) be pointing. How might the
            wisdom of the ancient authors impact on our Christology
            today.

            Respectfully,
            --Beatrix
            Member, First Unitarian-Universalist Church of San Diego
          • safswan
            Message 5 of 17 , Jan 1, 2011

              In Biblical_Unitarian@yahoogroups.com, "Craig" <craig.boyd35@...> wrote:"Christians believe that God is not a singularity, but rather a type of "three in one god", called the trinity."

              Not all Christians blieve this.

              safswan

              Message 6 of 17 , Jan 2, 2011

                Thank you, George. That would be great!

                ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

                --- In Biblical_Unitarian@yahoogroups.com, George <george_smith92530@...> wrote:

                > Amen!  You are part of the family of God!  By the way,  I have another group
                > called "Family of God".  If you are interested I'll post the link here.
                >
                > Brother in Christ,  George...
                >
                > Blessed are they that hunger and thirst after righteousness for they shall be
                > filled.
                >

                > ________________________________

              • Craig
                Message 7 of 17 , Jan 2, 2011

                  Yes, I can definitely see your Universalist background from these comments. I do not agree with your theology, but at the same time cannot prove my own. This is why I do not condemn members of faiths other than my own. Religion is a matter of personal choice, and I have no authority to judge my fellow human beings.

                  Not being a Universalist, I am most likely far more dogmatic about my belief system than you are, but I respect your right to believe what you will.

                  Message 8 of 17 , Jan 2, 2011

                    This depends upon how narrow your definition of "Christian" is. Certainly, in my country, if you are not trinitarian, you are not considered to be Christian.

                    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

                    Message 9 of 17 , Jan 2, 2011
                      Ok,  here it is.

                      Brother in Christ,  George...

                      Blessed are they that hunger and thirst after righteousness for they shall be filled.

                      Preach the gospel at all times; if necessary, use words.

                      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

                      --- In Biblical_Unitarian@yahoogroups.com, George <george_smith92530@...> wrote:

                      > Amen!  You are part of the family of God!  By the way,  I have another group
                      > called "Family of God".  If you are interested I'll post the link here.
                      >
                      > Brother in Christ,  George...
                      >
                      > Blessed are they that hunger and thirst after righteousness for they shall be
                      > filled.

                    • George
                      Message 10 of 17 , Jan 2, 2011
                        It's almost like the mark of the beast.  The mark of the beast makes it so nobody can buy or sell.  Then not going along with the trinity you can't preach or participate in the "church". It's basically the same principal.  Sometimes I wonder if it is the same thing.