What is the chief end of man?

  • dontheyounger
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 2, 2007
      Hello all,

      A group I study with is going to discuss this question: What is the
      chief end of man? I.e. What is our true purpose, true duty, reason for
      being, etc.? Would appreciate any thoughts you have. Thanks.

      -Don
    • JACK HIGGINS
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 2, 2007
        Hi Don
          I have never given much thought as to the purpose of man, as a whole. Mostly my though has been, what is my purpose as an individual. Interesting questions. I typed in the purpose for man in the search bar on my home page, and there were 130,000,000 hits. The only sight I went to was( http:/www.abideinchrist.info/purposeforman.html) The artical had a lot of good things to say, some I agreed with, some I did not. My personal thought is that no man can know God whole purpose, so long as we are in the flesh.

        Jack

        dontheyounger <dontheyounger@...> wrote:

        Hello all,

        A group I study with is going to discuss this question: What is the
        chief end of man? I.e. What is our true purpose, true duty, reason for
        being, etc.? Would appreciate any thoughts you have. Thanks.

        -Don

        Boardwalk for $500? In 2007? Ha!

      • sojourning
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 2, 2007
          "What is our true purpose, true duty, reason for being, etc.?"

          I believe it is a number of things. I believe we should be filled with
          the spirit and led by the spirit. We should know Christ in a true way,
          we should know "his" voice, and not hear, meaning we not listen, to
          another. If we believe the writings of Paul, then we belive that we
          are raised up with Christ, that we sit with him, and we should be
          reigning with him.

          I believe the Church today is falling far short of what it has been
          called to be. We don't seem to have the spirit of wisdom and
          revelation in the knowledge of God that Paul prayed we would have. Our
          eyes of understanding are not being enlightened; that we may know what
          is the hope of his calling, and the riches of the glory of his
          inheritance in the saints, And the exceeding greatness of his power to
          us-ward who believe, according to the working of his mighty power. The
          power he wrought in Christ, when he raised him from the dead, and set
          him at his own right hand in the heavenly, far above all principality,
          and power, and might, and dominion, and every name that is named, not
          only in this world, but also in that which is to come. God has put all
          under his feet, and gave him to be the head over all to the church,
          which is his body, the fulness of him that filleth all in all.

          So we are the body of Christ, if God has put all things under his
          feet, then where does that put us? All things should be put under us
          also. We are in him made full, "him" who is the head of all
          principality and authority, so what does this mean?

          Paul says, To me, though I am the very least of all the saints (Paul
          is speaking as a Jew, and at that time only the Jews were considered
          saints (holy ones set apart unto God), this grace was given, to preach
          to the Gentiles the unsearchable riches of Christ,9and to bring to
          light for everyone what is the plan of the mystery hidden for ages in
          God who created all things,10so that through the church the manifold
          wisdom of God might now be made known to the rulers and authorities in
          the heavenly places.11This was according to the eternal purpose that
          he has realized in Christ Jesus our Lord,12in whom we have boldness
          and access with confidence through our faith in him.

          So it is through the Church the manifold wisdom of God should be made
          known to rulers and authorities. Paul says that we, the Church, are to
          grow up into Christ in all things, we are all to come in the unity of
          the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, unto a perfect man,
          unto the measure of the stature of the fulness of Christ:

          --- In TruthorTradition@yahoogroups.com, "dontheyounger"
          <dontheyounger@...> wrote:

          > Hello all,
          >
          > A group I study with is going to discuss this question: What is the
          > chief end of man? I.e. What is our true purpose, true duty, reason
          for
          > being, etc.? Would appreciate any thoughts you have. Thanks.
          >
          > -Don

        • sojourning
          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 2, 2007

            --- In TruthorTradition@yahoogroups.com, JACK HIGGINS <mourice65red@...> wrote:

            > Hi Don
            > I have never given much thought as to the purpose of man, as a whole. Mostly my though has been, what is my purpose as an individual. Interesting questions. I typed in the purpose for man in the search bar on my home page, and there were 130,000,000 hits. The only sight I went to was( http:/www.abideinchrist.info/purposeforman.html) The artical had a lot of good things to say, some I agreed with, some I did not. My personal thought is that no man can know God whole purpose, so long as we are in the flesh.

            Rom 8:9But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his.

            > Jack
            >

            > dontheyounger dontheyounger@... wrote:
            >
            > Hello all,
            >
            > A group I study with is going to discuss this question: What is the
            > chief end of man? I.e. What is our true purpose, true duty, reason for
            > being, etc.? Would appreciate any thoughts you have. Thanks.
            >
            > -Don
            >

            > ---------------------------------
            > Boardwalk for $500? In 2007? Ha!
            > Play Monopoly Here and Now (it's updated for today's economy) at Yahoo! Games.

          • CELSO, JR. BARRERA
            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 2, 2007
              FROM: CELSO R. BARRERA JR. crosstopbook@...

              Don,

              Please, see Ecclesiastes 12:13 (King James Version). I believe it can help somehow...

              GOD BLESS.

              Message 6 of 10 , Oct 4, 2007
                Hi Soj.
                   I am confused, what does you post have to do with the question asked, or my post to the question?

                Jack

                sojourning <learningtorah2001@...> wrote:

                --- In TruthorTradition@ yahoogroups. com, JACK HIGGINS <mourice65red@ ...> wrote:

                > Hi Don
                > I have never given much thought as to the purpose of man, as a whole. Mostly my though has been, what is my purpose as an individual. Interesting questions. I typed in the purpose for man in the search bar on my home page, and there were 130,000,000 hits. The only sight I went to was( http:/www.abideinch rist.info/ purposeforman. html) The artical had a lot of good things to say, some I agreed with, some I did not. My personal thought is that no man can know God whole purpose, so long as we are in the flesh.
                Rom 8:9But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his.

                > Jack
                >

                > dontheyounger dontheyounger@ ... wrote:
                >
                > Hello all,
                >
                > A group I study with is going to discuss this question: What is the
                > chief end of man? I.e. What is our true purpose, true duty, reason for
                > being, etc.? Would appreciate any thoughts you have. Thanks.
                >
                > -Don
                >

                > ------------ --------- --------- ---
                > Boardwalk for $500? In 2007? Ha!
                > Play Monopoly Here and Now (it's updated for today's economy) at Yahoo! Games.

                Boardwalk for $500? In 2007? Ha!

              • Tim H
                Message 7 of 10 , Oct 4, 2007
                  Hi Don, my comments below.

                  > "dontheyounger" wrote:
                  >
                  > Hello all,
                  >
                  > A group I study with is going to discuss
                  this question: What is the chief end of man?
                  I.e. What is our true purpose, true duty,
                  reason for being, etc.? Would appreciate
                  any thoughts you have. Thanks.

                  > -Don

                  TIM H:
                  I think the answer is here:

                  1 Cor 15:28 And when all things shall be
                  subdued unto him, then shall the son also
                  himself be subject unto Him that put all
                  things under him, that God may be all in all.

                  I believe the story of man goes like this:
                  In the beginning God created man to have a
                  relationship of oneness with the Spirit of
                  God, walking and talking with Him daily.
                  Man turned away from that condition of
                  spiritual oneness with God to go his own
                  way, bringing sin and death into the world.

                  The goal is for man to once again live in
                  that relationship of spiritual oneness with
                  God so that God may be all in all. Jesus
                  lived in spiritual oneness with God giving
                  us the perfect example of how we should be
                  living, and how the saved will be living in
                  the age to come, returning to the condition
                  that Adam & Eve lived in before the fall,
                  the condition God intended for us to live
                  in when He created us.

                  I think the first step to a full realization
                  is to realize that life is really all about
                  God and not about us. Adam turned away from
                  God because in his mind it became about himself
                  instead of about God. Our reality should be
                  about being totally focused on God, instead
                  of living in the reality of the "self" where
                  the ego dominates...

                  In Christ,
                  Tim H
                • sojourning
                  Message 8 of 10 , Oct 4, 2007
                    Jack,

                    You said, "My personal thought is that no man can know God whole
                    purpose, so long as we are in the flesh."

                    I simply posted what Paul said.....Rom 8:9 But ye are "not" in the
                    flesh, but in the Spirit, "if" so be that the Spirit of God dwell in
                    you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his.

                    In the new covenant we are not to be in the flesh, we are to be in
                    spirit, we are to worship God "in spirit" and in truth.

                    <mourice65red@...> wrote:

                    > Hi Soj.
                    > I am confused, what does you post have to do with the
                    question asked, or my post to the question?

                    > Jack
                    >

                    > sojourning <learningtorah2001@...> wrote:
                    >
                    > --- In TruthorTradition@yahoogroups.com, JACK HIGGINS
                    <mourice65red@> wrote:

                    > > Hi Don
                    > > I have never given much thought as to the purpose of man, as a
                    whole. Mostly my though has been, what is my purpose as an
                    individual. Interesting questions. I typed in the purpose for man in
                    the search bar on my home page, and there were 130,000,000 hits. The
                    only sight I went to was(
                    http:/www.abideinchrist.info/purposeforman.html) The artical had a
                    lot of good things to say, some I agreed with, some I did not. My
                    personal thought is that no man can know God whole purpose, so long
                    as we are in the flesh.
                    > Rom 8:9 But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit,
                    if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have
                    not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his.

                    > > Jack
                    > >

                    > > dontheyounger dontheyounger@ wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Hello all,
                    > >
                    > > A group I study with is going to discuss this question: What is
                    the
                    > > chief end of man? I.e. What is our true purpose, true duty,
                    reason for
                    > > being, etc.? Would appreciate any thoughts you have. Thanks.
                    > >
                    > > -Don
                  • JACK HIGGINS
                    Message 9 of 10 , Oct 5, 2007
                      Hi Soj
                        You and I agree, the flesh is dead, and we should walk in newness of life. Life is of the spirit, not the flesh. But still at times it is hard to let go of the flesh. That is what Paul ment when he said, "That which I would do I do not, that which I would not do I do."  I know you are a spiritual man by the exchange we have been having.

                      <mourice65red@ ...> wrote:

                      > Hi Soj.
                      > I am confused, what does you post have to do with the
                      question asked, or my post to the question?

                      > Jack
                      >

                      > sojourning <learningtorah2001@ ...> wrote:
                      >
                      > --- In TruthorTradition@ yahoogroups. com, JACK HIGGINS
                      <mourice65red@ > wrote:

                      > > Hi Don
                      > > I have never given much thought as to the purpose of man, as a
                      whole. Mostly my though has been, what is my purpose as an
                      individual. Interesting questions. I typed in the purpose for man in
                      the search bar on my home page, and there were 130,000,000 hits. The
                      only sight I went to was(
                      http:/www.abideinch rist.info/ purposeforman. html) The artical had a
                      lot of good things to say, some I agreed with, some I did not. My
                      personal thought is that no man can know God whole purpose, so long
                      as we are in the flesh.
                      > Rom 8:9 But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit,
                      if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have
                      not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his.

                      > > Jack
                      > >

                      > > dontheyounger dontheyounger@ wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Hello all,
                      > >
                      > > A group I study with is going to discuss this question: What is
                      the
                      > > chief end of man? I.e. What is our true purpose, true duty,
                      reason for
                      > > being, etc.? Would appreciate any thoughts you have. Thanks.
                      > >
                      > > -Don

                      Building a website is a piece of cake.

                    • sojourning
                      Message 10 of 10 , Oct 6, 2007
                        Jack,

                        In Romans 7 Paul is speaking of the two covenants. He is speaking to
                        those who knew the law, those who in the old covenant had worshipped
                        God in the flesh. Rom 7:5 For when we "were" in the flesh, the
                        motions of sins, which "were" by the law, "did" work in our members
                        to bring forth fruit unto death.

                        So under the old covenant they worshipped God in the flesh, Young -
                        Hbr 9:10 - only in victuals, and drinks, and different baptisms, and
                        fleshly ordinances -- till the time of reformation imposed upon
                        [them]. But Jesus said the time was coming when God would no longer
                        be worshipped in the flesh, not in a place, not by carnal
                        ordinances, but all who worshipped God would worship him in spirit
                        and truth. So Paul says, Rom 1:9 For God is my witness, whom I
                        serve "with my spirit" in the gospel of his Son. And he says, Rom
                        7:6 But now we are delivered from the law, that being dead wherein
                        we were held; that we should serve "in newness of spirit", and not
                        [in] the oldness of the letter. Paul says the law was weak through
                        the flesh, meaning that carnal people could not keep God's holy law.
                        He said, we know that the law is spiritual: but I am carnal, I am of
                        the flesh, sold under sin.

                        But now, under the new covenant Paul was no longer serving God in
                        the flesh, but in newness of spirit, because what the law could not
                        do, in that it was weak through the flesh, God did though Jesus'
                        death and resurrection and sending forth his spirit, so that now the
                        righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in all those who truly
                        walk after the spirit. They that are after the spirit mind the
                        things of the spirit.

                        So when Paul said, "That which I would do I do not, that which I
                        would not do I do", he was speaking of when he was still under the
                        old covenant, when he was still held captive to a law contrary to
                        God's law of life, and that law being the law of sin and death which
                        was in his members. But once Paul became crucified with Christ, his
                        flesh being crucifed with Jesus' flesh, then he was freed from the
                        law of sin and death dwelling in his members. He was able to keep
                        under his body, bringing it into subjection. He was now yielding his
                        members as instruments of righteousness unto God.