what if it is IN the bible?

  • Marcus Walker
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 1, 2006
      (((One more simple little thing. We make things harder than God ever
      intended for them to be. The written word was given as a roadmap and
      instruction manual for us. We are to judge everything by it. I was
      raised to believe some things I always questioned, but all I ever
      got in reply was "that is the way we believe or the way we have
      always done it", even though the bible said something different. I
      just finally made up my mind that if it wasn't in the BOOK, it
      didn't come from God.)))

      MY question is what if it is in the bible do we believe the bible or
      the traditions. My bible says a man is not to marry a woman that is
      divorced. Jesus said it himself. This seems to say if it isnt in the
      bible we dont believe it and if it is we dont believe it, but instaed
      say it is not for us. Good thing it isnt too. There would be alot of
      people wrong and more all the time. LOL I can just hear some pastor
      preach on that one. He could do it when he is gonna retire and thinks
      the congregation wants him to stay .
    • Marta Layton
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 1, 2006
        > 5. what if it is IN the bible?
        > Posted by: "Marcus Walker" satman2499@... satman2499
        > Date: Fri Sep 1, 2006 12:02 am (PDT)
        >
        > (((One more simple little thing. We make things harder than God ever
        > intended for them to be. The written word was given as a roadmap and
        > instruction manual for us. We are to judge everything by it. I was
        > raised to believe some things I always questioned, but all I ever
        > got in reply was "that is the way we believe or the way we have
        > always done it", even though the bible said something different. I
        > just finally made up my mind that if it wasn't in the BOOK, it
        > didn't come from God.)))
        >
        > MY question is what if it is in the bible do we believe the bible or
        > the traditions. My bible says a man is not to marry a woman that is
        > divorced. Jesus said it himself. This seems to say if it isnt in the
        > bible we dont believe it and if it is we dont believe it, but instaed
        > say it is not for us. Good thing it isnt too. There would be alot of
        > people wrong and more all the time. LOL I can just hear some pastor
        > preach on that one. He could do it when he is gonna retire and thinks
        > the congregation wants him to stay .

        If something is clearly in the Bible one way then it is wrong, clearly. I
        have little respect for tradition. However, we have to take the WHOLE of
        scripture into account, not just one "proof" verse. *All* scripture is
        inspired, and so if one verse seems to contradict with another we need to
        re-evaluate and look whether we might be interpreting oen of the other
        incorrectly. How we interpret the Bible can be an interpretation, too.

        Marta
      • Tim H
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 1, 2006
          Amen, Marta, I agree. It's not only important to
          understand verses within the surrounding context,
          but within the context of the entire Scripture.
          God does not contradict Himself!

          Love in Christ,
          Tim H