Joe's testimony

  • Joe Gill
    Message 1 of 7 , May 1, 2005
      A couple of people in the group suggested it was pro forma for new
      members to introduce themselves. Hi, I'm Joe Gill, and this is my
      testimony.

      Twenty years ago, as a college student, I began a quest
      for "ultimate" truth, to borrow Tillichian terminology. It wasn't
      exactly a conscious decision--more of a compulsion. I took a survey
      course on the "History of Religion" during the fall semester of my
      sophomore year and was captivated for the rest of my undergraduate
      career. I was particularly curious about primitive religions: I took
      every course offered in that "discipline"--courses with titles
      like "Goddess Religion" and "Symbols of the Divine." I read Rudolph
      Otto, Joseph Campbell, Mircea Eliade. I took Religion as my major.

      I used to call myself an "agnostic" because I felt so uncertain about
      the existence and nature of God. In fact, I was a genuine "seeker": I
      deeply wanted to have an experience with the Numinous, to have an
      encounter with Something Real. I investigated Eastern traditions
      (Bhuddism and Taoism), Native American religions, and even "white"
      witchcraft (a la Starhawk). I stayed away from Jesus rather
      instinctively, until during my senior year I was reminded that there
      was a concentration requirement to take at least one course on
      Christianity. I ended up taking three courses that year, and writing
      my senior thesis on a Christian theme, but I of course funnelled my
      investigation of the religion through my mythology framework. Upon
      graduation, I mentally walked away from Christian traditions as
      quickly as possible, certain that that modality offered me no answers
      to my Ultimate questions.

      My thirst for an experience with the divine only grew, but I did not
      have the courage to boldly experiment. I am so thankful to God that I
      had inhibitions... I think mine was the mindset of a candidate for a
      cult. Mercifully, I was kept away from such nefarious opportunists,
      and came repeatedly into contact with committed Christians instead.
      These were people leading spiritual lives that were vibrant and
      transforming. They adhered to rituals and mores that I sniffed at--
      but they possessed the kind of conviction and, well, "assuredness"
      (if that is a word) that resonated with me. I professed that God was
      unknowable, but I really longed in fact to know Him! They spoke in
      relational terms about Jesus--and I began to covet a relationship
      with Him for myself.

      This was the beginning of a tug-of-war between me and the Spirit of
      God that lasted many years. It ended with my surrender to the claims
      of the historical, biblical Jesus, and my affirming His personhood,
      His purpose, and His accomplishments. First I was convicted that
      scripture was "breathed out" by God: that it is holy, inerrant, and
      dynamic. Then I could believe what it said about God: that he was the
      Creator of everything, including me; that he was loving and righteous
      and by right could make claims on my life. I could believe what it
      said about me: that I was by nature a rebel against God, and had up
      to then consistently missed the mark that He set for me. And I could
      believe what it said about Jesus: that He was the mediator between me
      and God; that he was sent to fulfill a divine plan to extract me from
      my pattern of rebellion and to make amends for my legacy of sin.

      I have been saved for twelve year now, and a member of the Church of
      God in Christ organization (if labels matter, that makes me
      Pentecostal/Holiness). Mostly, I am a servant of Jesus Christ and a
      lover of the Word of God.

      Thank you George and Missy for you kind words and welcome.

      Tremulously submitted,
      Joe G.
    • Tim
      Message 2 of 7 , May 1, 2005
        Good testimony, Joe! Glad to have you here and look forward to
        hearing more from you.

        Love in Christ,
        Tim

      • George loves Jesus

            Message 5 of 7 , May 1, 2005
              awesome testimony...thanks for sharing!....Gen

              http://mail.yahoo.com
            • nancy campbell

                Message 7 of 7 , May 1, 2005
                  Thank you Joe for sharing your testimony, God is good and His mercy
                  endures forever.

                  Love in Christ,
                  Steph

                  --- In TruthorTradition@yahoogroups.com, "Joe Gill" <berean_joe@y...>