The Supreme Sacrifice

  • maranatha77
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 1, 2007
      The Supreme Sacrifice

      The sky was still dark when the old patriarch clearly heard God speak.
      "Abraham, ... Take now thy son, thine only son Isaac, whom thou
      lovest, and get thee into the land of Moriah; and offer him there for
      a burnt offering upon one of the mountains which I will tell thee of."
      Genesis 22:1, 2.

      Abraham began to tremble when he considered the staggering
      consequences of this command. God had promised that through Isaac he
      would father a mighty nation. All of Abraham's hopes and dreams were
      set upon this miracle son given to him and Sarah in their old age. He
      didn't understand why God was asking him to do this strange act, but
      he had learned to trust and obey his heavenly Father--even when perplexed.

      So Abraham gently awakened young Isaac and two trusted servants, and
      the small company began the three-day trip to Moriah. As they neared
      the mountain of sacrifice, Abraham instructed his servants to wait for
      him and Isaac to return. Then he placed the wood on his son's back,
      and together they started up the mountain.

      Sensing that something was wrong, Isaac said, "Father, we have what we
      need to start a fire and the wood: but where is the lamb for a burnt
      offering?" Abraham replied, "My son, God will provide Himself a lamb
      for a burnt offering."

      When they reached the top, Abraham tearfully explained the reason for
      their mission. Willingly Isaac submitted to God's command. After the
      last embrace, the father tenderly bound his son and laid him upon the
      rock altar. Abraham raised the knife, but suddenly he was stopped by
      an angel and directed to sacrifice instead a wild ram that was trapped
      by its horns in a nearby thornbush.

      This moving story was not the only time a father had to make a painful
      decision to sacrifice his beloved son.

      1. Whom did the animal that was sacrificed in Isaac's place represent?
      John 1:29 . The next day John seeth __________ coming unto him, and
      saith, Behold the lamb of God, which taketh away the sin of the world.

      Answer: ___________________________

      2. Why was it necessary for Jesus to die?
      Romans 3:23 . For ______ have sinned.
      Romans 6:23 For the wages of sin is death.
      Hebrews 9:22 Without shedding of blood is no remission [forgiveness].
      1 Corinthians 15:3 Christ died for our sins.
      1 Peter 3:18 For Christ also hath once suffered for sins, the just for
      the unjust.

      Answer: ___________________________

      Note: The Bible is priceless because it tells how sin entered the
      world and how it will be removed. God cannot tolerate the ugly
      malignancy of sin. The penalty for sin is death. And worse, when Adam
      and Eve sinned, this disease of death passed to the entire human race.
      God's law and the penalty for breaking it could not be changed, so all
      people were doomed. But God could not stand to be separated from His
      creatures. So, in an act of incredible love, He chose to send His Son
      into the world to die in your place and mine. Our sins and our death
      penalty were placed upon Him, and we were set free.

      3. What is this great plan of salvation called?
      Revelation 14:6 . Having the everlasting ____________ to preach unto
      them that dwell on the earth.

      Answer: ___________________________

      Note: God's plan of salvation is called the "gospel," which means
      "good news." And it is indeed the most fabulous news ever delivered to
      people. Our death penalty was assumed by Jesus, and our guilt was removed.

      4. Why did God make such a fantastic sacrifice for us?
      John 3:16 . For God so __________ the world, that he gave his only
      begotten Son.

      Answer: ___________________________

      Note: The strongest earthly tie is the love of a parent for a child.
      When God the Father was willing to allow His Son, Jesus, to suffer and
      die in our place, He demonstrated in the most powerful language how
      fervently He loves each of us.

      5. What must I do to benefit from Jesus' sacrificial death?
      Acts 16:31 . ______________ on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt
      be saved.

      John 1:12 But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become
      the sons of God.

      Answer: ___________________________

      Note: Jesus' offer of salvation is a gift (Romans 6:23). My part is
      to believe it is true and to receive the gift by faith.

      6. How, then, am I forgiven and cleansed?
      Acts 3:19 . ____________ ye therefore, and be converted, that your
      sins may be blotted out.

      1 John 1:9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive
      us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

      Answer: ___________________________

      Note: Confession is the verbal side of repentance. True repentance
      includes a sorrow for--and turning away from--sin (Proverbs 28:13).

      7. What is this wonderful conversion experience called?
      John 3:7 . Ye must be ________ again.

      Answer: ___________________________

      Note: This glorious experience is referred to as a new birth
      because, as of that moment, we have no past. Instead, we begin a fresh
      new life, as does a newborn infant. It's the fantastic experience of
      beginning life anew without one blot of guilt on our records.

      8. Who enters the heart of each born-again Christian?
      John 14:17 . Even the ____________ of truth; ... ye know him; for he
      dwelleth with you, and shall be in you.

      Answer: ___________________________

      Note: Jesus Himself actually dwells in a Christian through His Holy
      Spirit.

      9. When Jesus lives in my heart through the Holy Spirit, what will I do?
      Philippians 2:13 . Both to will and to ____ of his good pleasure.

      Answer: ___________________________

      Note: I will want to do His will, and He gives me the power to
      actually perform it.

      10. Why should I be confident that my new-birth experience will be
      successful?
      Philippians 1:6 . He which hath __________ a good work in you will
      perform it until the day of Jesus Christ.

      Answer: ___________________________

      Note: I am confident because Jesus promises to accomplish it for me
      by His great power. Salvation rests upon His ability, not mine.

      11. Why do some people fail in their Christian experience?
      Isaiah 53:6 . We have turned every one to his own ______.

      2 Peter 3:2 Be mindful of the words... and of the commandment of us
      the apostles of the Lord and Saviour:

      Answer: ___________________________

      Note: People often fail in Christian living because they accept
      Jesus as Saviour but not as Lord, or "ruler," of their lives. Most of
      us want to have our own way and to run our own lives. When we accept
      Jesus as Lord, we turn over the running of our lives to Him. We keep
      our hands off the steering wheel of our lives and ask Him to direct
      us. (See supplement entitled "Once Saved, Always Saved?")

      12. How can I know that Jesus accepts me and that I am His child?
      Titus 1:2 . God, that cannot lie, _________.

      Matthew 7:7 Ask, and it shall be given you.

      Answer: ___________________________

      Note: We know that Jesus receives us when we ask Him, because He
      cannot tell a lie. He has promised to receive us, and He does receive
      us--not because we feel different, but because He promised.

      13. How will true conversion change a life?
      John 13:35 . By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if
      ye have ________ one to another.

      2 Corinthians 5:17 If any man be in Christ, he is a new creature.

      1 John 3:22 We keep his commandments, and do those things that are
      pleasing in his sight.

      Romans 12:2 Be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by
      the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and
      acceptable, and perfect, will of God.

      Acts 1:8 Ye shall be witnesses unto me.

      Ephesians 6:18 Praying always with all prayer and supplication in the
      Spirit.

      Answer: ___________________________

      14. What wonderful promises come with Christian life?
      Philippians 4:13 . I can do all ____________ through Christ which
      strengtheneth me.

      Philippians 4:19 God shall supply all your needs.

      Mark 10:27 With God all things are possible.

      John 15:11 That your joy might be full.

      John 10:10 That they might have life ... more abundantly.

      Hebrews 13:5 I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee.

      Hebrews 13:6 I will not fear what man shall do unto me.

      John 14:27 My peace I give unto you.

      Answer: ___________________________

      Note: God gives His people the following eight precious promises:

      -We can accomplish anything through Jesus.
      -All our needs will be supplied.
      -Nothing will be impossible for us.
      -Our joy will be full.
      -We will have more abundant living.
      -God will never leave or forsake us.
      -We need never fear what men may do to us.
      -The Lord will give us His perfect peace.

      Praise the Lord! How could anything be better than that?
      15. Will you decide now to accept Jesus' plan to save you?
      .
      from amazingfacts.org
      posted by brunie