Re: [Beta_Unlimited] Mary Ann Carlquist

  • Caina Fuller
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 7 4:48 PM

      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 7 9:30 PM

        > -- from 'The Figurehead' by J.K.H.

        here it is i hope you you can help.

        Sincerely,

        Mary Ann Carlquist
        Title: Surface Warfare Redux
        Author: Mary Ann Carlquist
        E-Mail Address: Ms.Carstairs@...
        Spoilers: Surface Warfare
        Author's Note: Sorry about the punctuation mine pretty
        muchs stinks.

        Disclaimer: Jag and it's characters do not belong to me
        they are the property of CBS and Donald Bellisario.

        The evening had kicked into high gear.Everyone was all decked out
        in their best formal wear. The woman in their desinger evening gowns
        the men in their best mess dress and black tie a mixed bag of
        military
        brass and Washington's who's who. By now most of the guests could be
        found
        either knee deep in the usual cocktail party chit-chat or out on the
        dance
        floor.Which was the one area of the room a certain 6 foot Four naval
        aviator
        couldn't seem to peel his eyes away from.

        Harm stood at the bar across the room and stared back at Mac and
        Brumby
        who were out there tripping the light fantastic. Mac's low cut red
        dress
        swaying with her every movement to the music.God how he hated seeing
        her in
        Brumby's arms and to top it all off he had accounced not only to Mac
        but pratically
        the entire ballroom full of people that he had resigned his
        commission in the Royal
        Australian Navy and was moving to DC to be near Mac or as Brumby had
        put it 'The Woman
        I love'. That comment alone was enough to bring bile to his throat.
        Couldn't she see
        how completely wrong for her was, he's arrogant, pushy. and
        completely devoid of
        any type of class.

        Max needed a man who understood her strengths, her weaknesses,
        someone who could
        challenge her stimulate her be her friend as well as her lover.
        Somebody- like like
        him. The sudden realization hit him like a mack truck.

        He loved Mac no matter what he'd always tried to tell himself.That
        was the reason
        he could never stand to see her with any other man besides him and
        that was the
        reason he couldn't stand seein her with Brumby now.

        At that point the nagging little voice in his head began to take
        over "So do
        something about it sailor." Harm grabbed his drink off the bar and
        made his way
        back to the table to wait for Renee. He knew they couldn't continue
        seeing eachother
        no matter what his feelings were for her, Mac was the woman he loved
        and he couldn't
        stand living one more minute without telling her showing her how much
        she meant to him.

        Mac and Brumby slowed danced to the romantic music filling the
        ballroom.Mac was
        doing her best to pretend she was having a good time.But truth be
        told she couldn't
        get her mind off what Mic had said tonight.HE actually resigned from
        the Royal Australian
        Navy and packed up his entire life all in an effort to be near her.So
        why wasn't she
        in the least bit happy about it?.

        He was kind, attentive, and he loved her and in certain ways she did
        love him
        but it wasn't the kind of love that made her want to consider
        buliding a future
        with him. She knew what she had to do neither of them could go on
        like this much
        longer.She had to be honest with him before she allowed him to get in
        any deeper
        than he already was.

        Mac lifted her head from Mic's shoulder and looked into his eyes.He
        smiled
        back at her blissfully unaware of what Mac had on her mind.

        "I can't do this anymore," Mac said. "That's fine. I could use a
        breather myself,
        why don't you go back and sit down and I'll get us something to
        drink," Mic relpied.

        "I'm not talking about the dancing. I mean this." Mac waved her hand
        back and forth
        between them indicating the two of them. "I see," Mic said
        flatly."Why don't we sit
        down." Mic grabbed Mac's hand in his and lead her away from the dance
        floor.Once they
        were seated Mic looked into Mac's eyes and mentally braced himself
        what he knew
        was coming.

        "It's him isn't it you love him don't you?," Mic asked knowing the
        answer Ilove you,"
        Mac said. "But not enough to want to marry me," Mic replied "I'm
        sorry," Mac said.
        "I wish I could offer you more than just a lame apology I wish I
        could be the one
        who would love you with her whole heart the one who would leap into
        your arms and
        shout "YES" at the top of her lungs at the thougth of marriage to
        you. I'm not that
        Sarah paused for a moment screwing up her courage to continue.I'm
        not that woman God
        knows I've tried to be" she removed the engagement ring from her
        right hand and pressed
        it into the palm of Mic's hand. "Here," she said "In your heart you
        know that's who
        this ring was meant for" Mac started to get up from the table but she
        was stopped by
        the pressure of Mic's hand on her arm."Sarah he's lucky" Mac bent
        down to him placed
        a soft kiss on his lips and strided away.Something which didn't
        escape Renee's notice.

        Renee stood across the vast ballroom only half-listening to the
        conversation being
        bantered about among the secnav, Admiral Chedwidden and his
        girlfriend.Her focus was
        more on Harm and watching him out of the corner of her eyes just as
        she had been doing
        all evening.He seemed to be in his own little world.Something that
        didn't entirely
        surprise her given the way his eyes kept darting back and forth to
        Sarah Mackenzie all
        night.Renee had the feeling the Colonel was the main subject of all
        his thoughs tonight.
        She tried to ignore it tried to tell herself it didn't mean anything
        but she knew she
        was kidding herself Harm was attractive,charming,romantic and taken
        and not by her by
        his partner and from what she's heard the few times she's been to Jag
        headquarters his
        best friend and dare she add soulmate to the list.

        She knew what she had to do although if she were really honest with
        herself she wasn't
        particualry looking forward to handing the man she had come to care
        so much for over
        to another woman.

        Needing to extradicte herself from the conversation Renee politely
        excused herself
        and started back towards Mac.She watched as Mac navigated her way
        through the crowded
        ballroom and out towards the bank of elevators."Now's my chance,"
        Renee mused.As she
        rushed through the crowd after her intented target.

        Mac stood out in front of the elevator waiting for the car to come
        back up she
        pushed the down button for the umpteenth time "Come on,come on" she
        pounded on the
        doors her impatience growing she had to get out of here sort through
        her feelings.

        Finally the distinct sound of the dinging elevator as it made the
        slow climb
        back up to the 4th floor ballroom broke through her impatience.She
        was just about
        to step through the open doors when she was stopped dead in her
        tracks by Renee's
        voice coming from behind her."Mac we need to talk," Renee said "Renee
        this is not
        a good time," Mac replied her back still to her Renee closed the
        small distance
        between them and grabbed Mac by the arm whirling her around to look
        at her."Well
        make it a good time this is important it's about Harm"

        Mac getting annoyed "And what makes you think I'm even remotely
        interested in
        what you have to say?" "Oh I think you'll be very interested but we
        can't talk here
        I know a place we can go" Renee turned away from her and started down
        the hall she
        walked a few feet before she realized Mac wasn't following.

        Renee walked back to where Mac stood "Look I know you're no fan of
        mine but we
        both care very much about Harm so for his sake will you please come
        with me?"

        Mac giving in "Allright lead the way," Mac replied midly curious as
        to what Renee
        had to say.

        They walked a few doors down from the ballroom until they came to two
        glass doors
        that ran parall to the corridor.Which lead out into the hotel's
        indoor pool the room
        was a large enclosed atrium surrounded by huge glass windows.A
        massive skylight overhead
        hung above the pool.The lights from the water below making it appear
        as if the shimmering
        waves from the water below were dancing throught he velvet
        blackness.Casading the steele
        and glass in a soft clear hue.

        Reneee pulled the door opened and walked in first followed by Mac.The
        air was so
        cool and light against her skin such a pleasant contrast to the stark
        stuffy ballroom.

        Even if she did have to share it with Renee."Allright Renee were
        alone talk," Mac said
        sternly. "You know Mac when you work in and around the entertainment
        industry as
        long as I have you learn a little thing or two about chemistry you
        know that quality
        that makes an on screen pairing click.Tom Hamks and Meg Ryan
        chemistry Richard Gere
        and Julia Roberts chemistry you and Harm let's face it there's enough
        electrity between
        you to light up downtown Los Angeles however there's always been one
        too many people
        standing in your way"Renee looked down at Mac's bare ring finger and
        grabbed her hand
        in her's "And I see you've already removed one of them from the
        equation."

        "That's none of your business," Mac replied as she pulled her hand
        out of Renee's

        "It is if you want Harm," Renee retorted Mac walks over to one of the
        lounge
        chairs arranged aroung the outer deck of the pool and sits
        down. "What is this
        the part where you tell me it's in my best interest to steer clear of
        your man,"
        Mac asked.

        "No. no," Renee replied "I know deep down that his being with me
        won't erase what
        he feels for you in his heart"

        "You're walking away just like that"

        "Think of it more as I'm sparing Harm the chore of dumping me even a
        shallow
        self centered video princess like me can regonize when two people
        belong together"

        "I UH umm" Mac just stared back at Renee dumbfounded "You didn't
        think I knew
        you called me that did you?"

        "I never said shallow and self centered," Mac replied Renee let out a
        small
        laugh as she walked over and sat down beside Mac on the lounge
        chair."It's okay
        I knew from the begining you and I weren't going to be joined at the
        lips now
        if I were you Colonel I wouldn't keep the man I love waiting much
        longer."

        Harm scanned the room looking for Mac he couldn't see her anywhere
        come to
        think of it Renee had disppeared to.He canvased the room one more
        time until
        his eyes fell upon the dance floor where Bud and Harriet danced a
        slow number.Maybe
        one of them has seen Mac Harm thought.Harm walked over to the dance
        floor and made
        his way over to the couple. "Bud,Harriet" Harm nodded in her
        direction"Have you seen
        Mac" "No. sir," Bud replied "Not for the last half hour at least not
        since I saw
        her giving the commander back his ring." "She what," Harm asked "She
        gave the
        Commander back his ring he skulked out of here shortlym after the
        Colonel"

        "Thank You Bud," Harm replied with that he turned on his heel and
        dashe out
        of the room "You're welcome sir," Bud shouted after him.

        'Maybe this will be just what they need to admit their feelings,"
        Harriet chirped
        to her husband."I hope so Harriet those two were meant for
        eachother," Bud said as
        they resumed their dance.

        Harm came racing out of the ballroom looking through the multitude of
        people
        that began to filter out from the party.Mac hadn't been among any of
        them.He
        looked down at the end of the corridor and noticed the open patio
        door.Maybe she
        went for some air he disappered down the hallway and towrads the open
        door.

        Harm stopped as he came upon the scene before him what he saw nearly
        floored him
        Mac and Renee talking no not just talking hugging.

        Renee released Mac from the embrace and looked back over at the open
        door Harm was
        standing there peering in at them.Mac still had her back to the door
        so she didn't
        see him.Renee caught his attention and motiuoned for him to stay
        where he was."Ah Mac,
        I'm going to leave you alone for a bit think about what I said"

        "I will and Thank You" "You're welcome," Renee said before walking
        out.

        Renee crossed over to the open door and pulled Harm aside out of
        Mac's line
        of sight."Go to her Harm put your arms around her tell her how you
        feel," Renee
        urged reaching her hand up she brought it to Harm's face turning him
        to look at
        her.

        "Renee I'm sorry I didn't mean for" Renee put her fingers to his lips
        preventing
        him from finishing."No apologies" she removed her fingers from his
        lips replacing'them
        with her own she gave him a quick kiss."Take care of yourself."

        "You too," Harm replied Renee turned and walked back down the
        corridor.

        Harm knew what he had to do now and he wasn't going to waste another
        minute
        he turned and walked back down the hall a plan forumlating in his
        head.

        Mac sat still in the lounge chair she had been sitting in earlier
        trying desperately
        to come to terms with what Renee just dropped in her lap could Harm
        really love her?
        dis she have a chance with him?

        Mac so emersed in her thoughts she didn't even notice one of the
        waiters from the
        ballroom striding through the door towards her.

        "Excuse me miss are you Sarah Mackenzie?" Mac turned at the voice
        coming from
        behind her what was with everybody sneaking up on her today? "Yes,
        I'm Sarah Mackenzie
        "Then this is for you" The waiter handed her a small white envelope
        and made his exit
        leaving Mac alone again.

        Mac tore the envelope open and removed a single sheet of paper
        emblazened with the Hotel's
        logo along with a key.She stared at it a moment and turned her
        attention back to the paper,
        getting it unfolded she started to read.

        Dear Sarah,

        When Diane died I felt as though a part of me had died with her but
        the pain
        of that loss was nothing compared to the pain I have felt these past
        few months
        watching you with Brumby.Every day I look at that ring on your finger
        and I get this

        ache in my chest like someone reached in grabbed a hold of my heart
        and tore it from
        my body.And I see the life he is offering you laid out in front of me
        like a screenplay
        in my head it's not Brumby I see standing at the end of the aisle
        waitng for you on
        your wedding day it's nor Brumby I see rocking our child to sleep at
        night and it's not
        Brumby I picture you growing old with.That's our life, that's our
        child and those are
        our memories.Memories we have a lifetime to build together if you'll
        still have me.Take
        the key Sarah come to me if the answers yes.

        Harm

        Harm's Apartment
        North Of Union Station

        Sarah raced off the elevator making a beeline for Harm's door she
        took the
        key from her purse and let herself in.The room was almost in total
        darkness
        except for the candles Harm had stratically placed throughout the
        apartment
        bathing the room in flickering candelight.Sarah closed the door
        behind her
        and walked further into the living room.The sweet scent of rose
        petals assaulting
        her nostrils they were scattered praqctically everywhere on the
        floor,the couch,
        the cofee table Sarah peeked into the bedroom they were ont the bed
        as well.She
        noticed the bathroom door was closed and the light on.That explianed
        why he gave
        her the key in case he wasn't out by the time she got here."Allright
        flyboy what are
        you up to"

        Just then Harm emereged from the bedroom clad only in a black
        bathrobe and matching
        silk boxer shorts a seductive gleam in his eyes.Mac turned at the
        sound of him coming
        into the room the breath nearly leaving her body when she saw him
        and what he was
        wearing.Mac thought she'd never seen Harm look more sexy except when
        he was in dress
        whites of course.

        Before she knew what was happening Harm had gathered her in in his
        arms and pulled
        her close to him.She looked up into his eyes and smiled not wanting
        to break the gaze
        her arms snaking around his neck."Nice outfit," she said.As she
        looked him up and down
        before bringing her eyes back up to meet his.'Just a little something
        I threw on,"he
        replied his incredible flyboy grin coming to his lips."You wouldn't
        be trying to take
        advantage of me would you?," she asked playfully "Absouletly" "Good,"
        she replied
        because this dress is getting a little hot I think I should get out
        of it as soon as
        possible care to help me Commander," she asked as she removed her
        arms from around
        his neck and hooked them around her back to undo the zipper.

        "Yes, ma'am," Harm replied as he reached his own hands around Mac's
        back until
        they were untwined with her's together they guided the zipper slowly
        down her back
        reaching back up to her shoulder's Harm drew the material away from
        her scantily clad
        body and dropped it to the floor leaving it in a pool of red silk at
        her feet.

        "Oh there's just one more thing," Mac said as Harm gathered her up in
        his arms
        and carried her into the bedroom."What's that," he asked as he
        dropped her to the
        bed and covered her body with his she pulled back from him a few
        centimeters and
        looked into his eyes "I love you too"

        The End there's another ending after this I couldn't make up my mind
        about
        which one to use so I included them both.The song I Still Love You
        More can
        be found on Trisha Yearwood's CD Where Your Road Leads.

        Mac sat in one of the lounge chairs arranged around the outer deck of
        the pool
        her legs propped up comfortably in front of her.Images of her and
        Harm flooded
        her mind.Mac was so engrossed in her thoughts she didn't even notice
        one of the
        waiters from the ballroom striding through the door towards
        her."Excuse me are you
        Sarah Mackenzie?" the voice from behind Mac's chair barked out at
        her.Mac threw her
        legs over the side of the lounge chair and looked up at the young man
        before her

        "Yes, I'm Sarah Mackenzie," Mac replied "Then this is for you," The
        waiter said
        he handed her the envelope and turned and walked back through the
        glass doors.

        Mac stared at the envelope a moment before she tore it open and
        unfolded the
        paper inside.Getting it open she found only one setence in big bold
        letters
        MAY I HAVE THIS DANCE.

        Mac looked up just as Harm came strideing through the door his hand
        outstrecthed to her she got up from the lounge chair and made her way
        to him just as the sweet strains of Trisha Yearwood's voice came
        flooding
        through the overhead sound system.

        Harm pulled Mac into his tight embrace as they swayed to the rhythm
        of the
        music.The somg's tender romantic message reining down on them as they
        danced.
        Mac put her head on Harm's chest as he twirled her around the room.

        Ask me how much you mean to me/ And I wouldn't even know where to
        start/ Ask if this love runs deep in me/ And you won't find a deeper
        love in any heart/ You could say you couldn't live one day without
        me/ You could say all of your thoughts are about me/ You could think
        no other love could be as strong/ But you'd be wrong Chorus: / If you
        say that you love me/ More than anybody/ Than anyone's ever been
        loved before/ As much as you love me/ Baby I'll still love you more/
        Baby I'll still love you more/ I'll still love you more/ Ask me just
        what I'd do for you/ And I'll tell you I would do anything/ Ask if
        this heart beats true for you/ And I'll show you a truer heart could
        never be/ You could say there's not a star that you won't bring me/
        You could say there'll be no day that you won't need me/ You could
        think no other love could last as long/ But you'd be wrong/ You'd
        be wrong/ (Repeat Chorus) / And for every kiss/ I'll kiss you back
        a hundred times/ And for everything you do/ I'll just do more/ And
        for all the love you give/ I'll give you so much back you'll see/
        Got so much love for you inside/ (Repeat Chorus) / If you say that
        you love me/ More than anybody/ Than anyone's ever been loved
        before/

        No matter how much you love me/ Baby I'll still love you/ Baby I'll
        still love you more,
        yeah/ I'll still love you more
      • MsCarstairs@worldnet.att.net
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 7 9:33 PM
          --- In Beta_Unlimited@y..., Caina Fuller <Cainaq1@y...> wrote:

          > Thanks Jo! Here it is.
          > Johanna Hupp-Clark <jhuppcla@k...> wrote:
          > I volunteer to beta your fic.
          >
          > Jo
          >
          > 'From childhood's hour, I have not been
          > As others were; I have not seen
          > As others saw; I could not bring
          > My passions from a common spring.'
          >
          > -- from "Alone" by E.A.P.
          >
          > 'We live and think we've made a mark,
          > But when our time has come,
          > We have to stop and think,
          > Does anyone know we've gone?'
          >
          > -- from 'The Figurehead' by J.K.H.

          thank you someone is helping me out i just got their reply
          to my message today but thank you.

          Sincerely,

          Mary Ann Carlquist

          emailaddress: mscarstairs@...

          > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
          > Fanfiction. A haven for you when reality sucks!

          Service.

          > Yahoo! Mail Personal Address - Get email at your own domain with
          Yahoo! Mail.