Re: beta protocol

  • Debby Andrede
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 8, 2007
      When seeking a good beta, I usually like to ask around forums where I
      find writers of similar tastes and styles as mine. If you know some
      authors whose work shares qualities with yours, ask them to help. Or
      ask if they can recommend any betas. To inquire for a beta in a
      general forum like this one, include info on the type and nature of
      your story (such as categories, story focus, warnings, ratings,
      length, characters, etc), as well as what you're looking for from a
      beta-reader. As a beta, I always make sure the writer knows that I
      take writing seriously and will give constructive but honest
      suggestions. She can then decide if that matches what she's looking
      for in a critique. If you get a response from a writer, check out
      her website or archive to see what kind of stories she writes. That
      can give you an idea what her skills and focus are.

      As for technical stuff, don't worry about it much. I'm very computer-
      illiterate. I do all my writing in MS Word, attach it to an email
      and betas can just use 'track changes' in MS Word to offer
      suggestions in the body. It's not hard. ;-)

      Debby
      www.geocities.com/entlzha