Re: [Beta_Unlimited] beta protocol

  • Desirata43@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 8, 2007
      Hi Audra.  I've beta'd for several fic writers, and generally my rule of thumb is to have a dialogue and introduce yourself.  Explain where you're trying to get your story to go.  If possible, sample some of your potential beta's work, so you can get a feel for the way they write.  Remember, it is a two way street, and you will both have expectations of each other.  I would steer clear of anyone who alters your work to the point where you disappear from it. A beta's function is to teach, and enhance...not rewrite.  Always make sure you copyright your work.  A good way to do that without all the legal hassle, is to email a copy to yourself, that way you will have a valid date stamp with identification.  I hope this helps, happy hunting!

      Val 5X5

      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 8, 2007
        When seeking a good beta, I usually like to ask around forums where I
        find writers of similar tastes and styles as mine. If you know some
        authors whose work shares qualities with yours, ask them to help. Or
        ask if they can recommend any betas. To inquire for a beta in a
        general forum like this one, include info on the type and nature of
        your story (such as categories, story focus, warnings, ratings,
        length, characters, etc), as well as what you're looking for from a
        beta-reader. As a beta, I always make sure the writer knows that I
        take writing seriously and will give constructive but honest
        suggestions. She can then decide if that matches what she's looking
        for in a critique. If you get a response from a writer, check out
        her website or archive to see what kind of stories she writes. That
        can give you an idea what her skills and focus are.

        As for technical stuff, don't worry about it much. I'm very computer-
        illiterate. I do all my writing in MS Word, attach it to an email
        and betas can just use 'track changes' in MS Word to offer
        suggestions in the body. It's not hard. ;-)

        Debby
        www.geocities.com/entlzha