quirky querry

  • scifiwontoothr33
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 6, 2007
      WANTED

      Social Thinkers

      Greetings ,

      I am working on an original fiction piece and I would like your help.

      As many scientists agree that we are over due for an-other pandemic
      ( hence all the nervousness over SARS , Bird Flu , West Nile, et
      cetera) I am working on a story about what might happen in the
      aftermath of such a disaster .

      In a world where more than half the global population was killed by
      a pandemic and every family lost some-one they knew what kind of
      emotional scars could you see in the survivors and what
      reprocussions could that have for the social and cultural structure ?

      Examples :

      1] Tens of thousands of people try to get away from the epidemic by
      placing themselves in suspended animation . Now in the time of this
      story more than four generations later most of them are still frozen
      because of the absolute terror that they might be carriers of the
      plague

      2] The only reason that there were any survivors at all is because
      of a breakthrough in genetic engineering that let people bolster
      their immune systems hence as ~science saved us~ genetic
      engineering and other research venues are given great leeway [
      perhaps too much leeway]

      3] Even though the race survived the pandemic many of the survivors
      were rendered sterile hence fears arose about the ~survival of the
      species~ leading to the laws against cloning being repealed

      4] Because of fears of the "NEXT PLAGUE" scientists and this society
      begin a program to "exercise" peoples immune systems by constantly
      developing new strains of the flu and the common cold. (I have one
      character , a cryogenic sleeper who has woken up into this world ,
      exclaim " You mean in the future not only has science NOT cured the
      common cold but they are actually making it Worse!?")

      These are a few ideas that I plan on using but I would like to flesh
      out this world a little more and show that this is an ALIEN world
      even though it is the Earth of the future so I am asking for any
      ideas that you might come up with. What do you think might happen in
      the aftermath of such an event ? How would ethics and morals of such
      a society be shaped or be different from what people of today would
      think in terms of?

      Any ideas please send to scifiwontoothr33 at yahoo dot com with the
      topic line "colony thoughts" .

      TTFN
    • Mickey
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 4 6:42 AM
        Hi. I need a beta reader for my Andromeda fic's. I only have one that is complete right now, but I have several more in the works. I love the friendshipship between Dylan and Beka and I love the up's and down's in that relationship, so that's what most of my fic's will tend to center on. The one that's done right now is a Dylan PoV, missing scene/episode tag for the season 1 episode "Forced Perspective".

        Any takers?

        Mickey

        The Heart of a Hero
        http://www.theheartofahero.com

        Insanity is fun! Never let anyone tell you otherwise.
        --Mickey

        The more I see of men, the better I like dogs.
        --attributed to Madame Roland