beta and writer over here!

  • kathleencsmith1963
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 10, 2007
      hi, all!

      don't be put off by my using lower case to write with...i actually DO
      know where the caps button is!

      Mystery sent a little outline for me to answer about myself (as i'm
      sure all of you received as well at one time or other), so here
      goes...

      Name or Alias: Kathleen (name), casey (nickname/alias/pen name), kcs;)
      (how i sign most notes)

      Fav shows: (how much time do you have...?) any of the star trek
      incarnations, any of the csi incarnations, boston legal, criminal
      minds, book of daniel, SG1, Magnificent 7, Highlander, any
      incarnation of the crow, buffy, angel, supernatural,kung fu, kung
      fu'the legend continues, the equalizer, riptide, starsky and hutch,
      the hat squad, da vinci's inquest, cold squad, cold case, special
      unit 2, the persuaders, due south, bonanza, miracles, roswell,the
      quest, the sentinel, the pretender...need i go on? probably not.

      Fav writers of fanfiction: peja, sue m, kathrin, ...actually quite a
      few...

      Fav actors and actresses: yul brynner, william shatner, james spader,
      mandy patankin, nestor serrano, sela ward, salma hayek, rudy
      valentino, humphrey bogart, ron perlman, linda hamilton, liam neeson,
      christian bale, hugh jackman, cate blanchet, perry king, joe penny,
      paul michael glaser, david soul, absolutely EVERYONE on numbers, gary
      sinise, eddie cahill, basil rathbone, ewan mcgregor, david suchet,
      marlene dietrich, tony curtis, jack lemmon...yep, there are more.

      Webpage address: None.

      Do you write fanfiction?: yes; will be posting my first one in the
      next week or two on the Blackraptor site.

      Do you beta-read: yes; my strengths are grammar, spelling,
      continuity. i can just stick with those, or in addition i can
      recommend alternative phrasing, if the writer is comfortable with
      that. i've lived in and out of the USA, so i'm
      comfortable "translating" verbage into what may be more appropriate
      to the story.

      The fanfiction you will beta read: i'm pretty flexible on the
      fandoms; what i'm not familiar with, i can research (i know a LOT of
      tv viewers, and our tastes are pretty diverse...). gen, hetero,
      smarm, h/c, deathfics/slash, et al are fine. what i will NOT---
      repeat, NOT---beta is any story with CONSENSUAL (consenting) incest
      or S&M, dominant/slave stuff....sorry to those of you who write that
      stuff: it just creeps me out.

      hope to beta for you soon, and hope you will beta for me too! i will
      post the URL to my mag7 story when it's on the BR site.

      kcs;)
    • maryilee@aol.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 10, 2007
        In a message dated 1/10/2007 6:03:17 PM Central Standard Time, kathleencsmith1963@... writes:

        hope to beta for you soon, and hope you will beta for me too! i will
        post the URL to my mag7 story when it's on the BR site.

        kcs;)

        Welcome to the list, Kathleen. :-)  Where were you a few weeks ago when I was in desperate need of a beta? <jk>  While you didn't mention the specific fandoms that I write for, I know quite a few that you listed.  I was a huge fan of Starsky and Hutch, watched some of the Pretender (until Early Edition captured my heart, sorry Jarod, Gary Hobson just has it all over you! <g>) and there were a few more that I saw and recognized.

        Mary

      • kathleencsmith1963
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 10, 2007
          thanks, mary! sorry i wasn't around, but i just kinda stumbled across
          this list yesterday, lol!
          i enjoy a lot more shows/movies than i have listed. my tastes are
          fairly broad; i love a lot of stuff...from firefly to shakespeare and
          back again, and whatever else inbetween,lol.
          anyway, would love to beta for ya next time you're looking for one. i
          generally will ask three people to beta, because i have found that
          picking three beta's with different strengths helps catch errors and
          improves my phrasing. if i'm stuck on a tense or phrase, i'll often
          just stick something in there to fill in until either i figure out
          something better, or one of the beta's catches it and suggests the best
          alternative.
          thanks for the welcome!