Re: [Beta_Unlimited] I need all of your adivce! PLEASE!

  • Marta
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 6 6:38 PM
      --- LuckyCharm2410@... wrote:
      > Here's my question on this, why is there a "the" in
      > front of Dr. Thompson in
      > the second sentence. Wouldn't that be bad English as
      > it is?
      >
      > Getty

      Not really. It suggests that there is another Dr.
      Thompson and you are selecting one and not the other.

      Ah, the intricacies of English. (That's sarcasm
      there.)

      Marta

      =====
      The Lord of the Rings: A story of jewelry theft and the ensuing hand injuries. (Source unknown)

      http://shopping.yahoo.com
    • Abinikai
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 7 10:28 AM
        Thanks everybody! (and yes, it is proper english, for there would be more then one Dr. Thompson). Well, after much debating and going to the almighty lord of English, Mr. Landis, we found that WE ARE RIGHT! Whoo hoo! Beta'ers rule! Well, I have been recognized, and I have an "I am a Star" thingy on my shirt...but that was actually for the English Paper I wrote on poetry. *grin* Okay, g2g. Having a nervous breakdown about life, so I must go confer with best friend. But hey, you guys (and girls) brightened my day! We rock!

        Chrys B <chrysanthemum@...> wrote:
        > Here's my question on this, why is there a "the" in front of Dr. Thompson in
        > the second sentence. Wouldn't that be bad English as it is?

        Not necessarily. Say there was more than one Dr. Thompson. Then you'd have to differentiate between Dr. Thompsons, so you'd perhaps say "the Dr. Thompson who..." in order to indicate which one you were talking about.

        ~Chrysanthemum~
        http://www15.brinkster.com/fleurdiabolique
        AIM: fleurdiabolique