Re: [Beta_Unlimited] Re: Introduction (MKSF Series)

  • Abinikai
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 18, 2003
      Well, one thing's for sure...I didn't know it was a series. I just have one book...not quite sure which one it is, either. It just sits on my bed, and I am sorry to say, collecting dust. I've tried to read it...but hey! I'll live. I promise to read it sometime within the next year...just when, I don't know.

      Well, have you ever read Siddartha? Talk about a boring book. That, or Killer Angels. They're both really bad. Had to read them for school...please shoot me. I never want to see another book about a man's journey to reach enlightenment in my entire life. But hey! I don't have to worry about that! It's my birthday!  *does a little dance* Okay, I just wanted to say that...but anyways, I'll look into reading MKFS.

      RedYume@... wrote:
      I really liked MKFS- Magic Kingdom for Sale series. I liked it better than Harry Potter (Though I am guilty of seeing all the movies opening night). It's a little harder to read style wise, but once you break into a couple of chapters it stops being so. . . heavy.
      If you want to make it seem less laborious, try reading a chapter from Tolkien's Silmarillian (sp?). Now THAT's hard to read. It's the only book I read cover to cover and had NO idea what the plot was. Boy did I feel stupid. But after reading it, even the most daunting books seemed quite readable, including Plato's Republic. Now there's a man who knew a lot about human nature and NOTHING about keeping an audience through pages and pages of philosophy. Oh, the joys of college reading. Personal opinion, of course.

      ~Ari

      In a message dated 7/17/2003 3:53:22 PM Pacific Daylight Time, abinikai@... writes:

      Okay, though I usually berate myself afterwards for actually speaking, I must say that I have one of the Magic Kingdom for Sale books and must ask if it's good. Though I have tried reading it, I only got a little ways into it b/c of other books that came out (namely Harry Potter). I'm not saying it's bad, but I just wanted to know. Oh, and I'm a big Animae fan, too. I love Fushugi Yugi, Gundam Wing, Inu Yasha, Vampire Hunter D, Chobits, Ranma 1/2 and almost anything else that's discussed in dear old Animae Club.

      Do you Yahoo!?

    • RedYume@aol.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 18, 2003
        Ooh! I haven't read that series of books by Piers Anthony, though if you want a good book that'll give you insight about the life of Death, his grandaughter, and "The Death of Rats" then Terry Pratchett's Disc World book "Soul Music" is a good read. It works as a stand alone or one in a 25+ book series. If you'v never read Pratchett before, a word of warning: He'll be in the middle of a serious chapter, and put a footnote about something completely absurd. For instance, he queries that if Medusa had snakes for hair. . . what grows in her armpits?- if snakes, then putting on deoderant must be interesting. He's a very . . . different writer. Good, but different.

        ~Ari

        In a message dated 7/18/2003 7:12:59 AM Pacific Daylight Time, syreene@... writes:

        I also highly recommend the Incarnations of Immortality series by
        Piers Anthony. It's a set of 7 books about Death, Time, Fate, War,
        Nature, Heaven, and Hell, and the concept that each is a job taken on
        by everyday humans who happen to fall into it one way or another, and
        the ongoing battle between Heaven and Hell for the collecting of
        souls. Each are a good book on their own, but if you read all 7 it
        makes for a widespread and intricate plot that is a thoroughly
        enjoying read. :)