Re: Introduction (MKSF Series)

  • Emily Vitori
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 18, 2003
      Goodness yes, after reading books like "Atlas Shrugged" by Ayn Rand,
      a romp through a magical kingdom with lupine wizards, dryads, and
      humor is much more prefered. I thought the series was quite fun and
      made a good story, especially when you read all three books. ;)

      The Shannara books are good as well, although after reading Tolkein I
      realized that the Sword of Shanarra is almost a direct rip-off of the
      1st book of LOTR. Well, at least it's a GOOD rip-off, and the rest of
      the books after that go off on a much more original vein. Hey, we all
      have to start somewhere, right? I myself have written fan fic that
      started in the middle of a story, and went "Well, this is a good
      idea, but how do I justify being here, and where do I go after I GET
      here?"

      I also highly recommend the Incarnations of Immortality series by
      Piers Anthony. It's a set of 7 books about Death, Time, Fate, War,
      Nature, Heaven, and Hell, and the concept that each is a job taken on
      by everyday humans who happen to fall into it one way or another, and
      the ongoing battle between Heaven and Hell for the collecting of
      souls. Each are a good book on their own, but if you read all 7 it
      makes for a widespread and intricate plot that is a thoroughly
      enjoying read. :)

      Hugs to all,

      Syreene
    • Abinikai
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 18, 2003
        Well, one thing's for sure...I didn't know it was a series. I just have one book...not quite sure which one it is, either. It just sits on my bed, and I am sorry to say, collecting dust. I've tried to read it...but hey! I'll live. I promise to read it sometime within the next year...just when, I don't know.

        Well, have you ever read Siddartha? Talk about a boring book. That, or Killer Angels. They're both really bad. Had to read them for school...please shoot me. I never want to see another book about a man's journey to reach enlightenment in my entire life. But hey! I don't have to worry about that! It's my birthday!  *does a little dance* Okay, I just wanted to say that...but anyways, I'll look into reading MKFS.

        RedYume@... wrote:
        I really liked MKFS- Magic Kingdom for Sale series. I liked it better than Harry Potter (Though I am guilty of seeing all the movies opening night). It's a little harder to read style wise, but once you break into a couple of chapters it stops being so. . . heavy.
        If you want to make it seem less laborious, try reading a chapter from Tolkien's Silmarillian (sp?). Now THAT's hard to read. It's the only book I read cover to cover and had NO idea what the plot was. Boy did I feel stupid. But after reading it, even the most daunting books seemed quite readable, including Plato's Republic. Now there's a man who knew a lot about human nature and NOTHING about keeping an audience through pages and pages of philosophy. Oh, the joys of college reading. Personal opinion, of course.

        ~Ari

        In a message dated 7/17/2003 3:53:22 PM Pacific Daylight Time, abinikai@... writes:

        Okay, though I usually berate myself afterwards for actually speaking, I must say that I have one of the Magic Kingdom for Sale books and must ask if it's good. Though I have tried reading it, I only got a little ways into it b/c of other books that came out (namely Harry Potter). I'm not saying it's bad, but I just wanted to know. Oh, and I'm a big Animae fan, too. I love Fushugi Yugi, Gundam Wing, Inu Yasha, Vampire Hunter D, Chobits, Ranma 1/2 and almost anything else that's discussed in dear old Animae Club.

        Do you Yahoo!?

      • RedYume@aol.com