Re: [BerkshireNEMBA] Berkshire NEMBA BYOS Party Sunday PSF 8 AM - 11:30 AM, Pizza after, Ride after that.

  • harry meyer
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 28, 2012
      Brad We can still use my tractor. The backhoe reaches 7' and is 1' wide. The front bucket is 5' wide. It has 4 wheel drive. Is that too big? Here is a pic. Let me know. I will need to coordinate with Bill to get it up there. H

      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 28, 2012
        Brad I also have a trailer that is 4 x 8 ' if that could help. I just don't want to haul this stuff up if we won't use it. I'm mainly concerned it is too wide to get where we need to go. If it can get in, it can do an awful lot of work. H

        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 28, 2012
          I'll be coming with a pick, a shovel, and a wheelbarrow. I have been using a thumb brace so I might be less than 100%.

          Matt

          --- In BerkshireNEMBA@yahoogroups.com, "Brad Herder" <brad@...> wrote:

          > Hi everybody,
          >

          > Things are coming along wonderfully for Sunday April 1st's trail work in the
          > Pittsfield State Forest at 8AM.
          >

          > BYOS = Bring Your Own Shovel - we don't have any.
          >

          > We have permission from the DCR to use the gravel piles up by Lulu Cascade
          > for fill.
          >
          > The DCR is going to try to stage some fill as far in as they can get it.
          >
          > We have permission to use an ATV with a trailer to bring the fill into where
          > we need it.
          >
          > Mark Todd (from the DCR) will be there with his equipment to help.
          >
          > Birk is going to bring his tractor so we can get more dirt.
          >

          > Mark said it was okay for us to bring other equipment we need.
          >

          > I am suspecting we will need:
          >

          > 1. Lots of people with shovels to remove mud and replace it with fill.
          >
          > 2. Garden carts and wheelbarrows if you have one.
          >
          > 3. An ATV with a trailer we could load up with dirt if anyone has one.
          >

          > The DCR, Becky and Mark have been very positive!
          >

          > We'll work 8-11:30, then have pizza and drinks for lunch and go for a ride.
          >

          > Hope to have a great turnout.
          >

          > Thanks!
          >
          > Brad Herder

        • Brad Herder
          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 28, 2012

            A 4x8 trailer seems too big… plus how would you pull it?

            Beth and I did some experimenting today with a garden cart I have fixing up a section of trail near the NEMBA bridge.  We found some great dirt at a tree that was toppled over.  There are lots of trees like that near where we are going to work on Sunday.  So – should the machinery not be able to keep up with us in delivering dirt, we might be able to find some easy digging near all the downed trees.

            I’m thinking shovels, wheelbarrows/garden carts will be quite effective, especially if we get dirt dumped close to where we need to put it.

            An ATV with a trailer certainly would be useful.

            Thanks,

            Brad

            Message 5 of 11 , Mar 28, 2012

              Your tractor definitely would be good – definitely if you can get it there.  Let me work a little on making the trail at least 5’ wide. J

              Message 6 of 11 , Mar 28, 2012
                The front bucket is the only thing 5' wide the wheels are less than 4'

                Message 7 of 11 , Mar 28, 2012
                  Ok

                  Message 8 of 11 , Mar 28, 2012
                    Brad. I spoke with Bill. He will move my tractor. We will be there by 8 am. This will cut down on how many people need to work that muddy area. Is there another spot to put people. I don't like to have a lot of folks trying to help when I use equipment. It's not safe. And makesmy job lots harder. H

                    Message 9 of 11 , Mar 28, 2012

                      I think it will be hard for you to efficiently put dirt in a trench, but you can certainly dig a trench, then maybe when you get away, we can fill it.  There is a spot above too we could do by hand so I’ll see if we can get some people up there.

                      Thanks!

                      Brad

                      Message 10 of 11 , Mar 28, 2012
                        Perfect