Bend Track Standards

  • Jolly Goodfellow
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 28, 1999
      Howdy,

      If you are building a Bend Track module, what changes have been made from
      the Standards?

      I have gone with a height of 40" instead of 50", I had legs from N-Trak I
      could use. I also use pipe legs as it is faster to set up, just screw them
      on.

      Photos of my setup can be seen at;
      http://utahdepot.railfan.net/BENSMR.htm

      I have not changed them mush from that time as I have been putting it off,
      but now with the Train Show season going I will be doing some work on them.

      Jolly Goodfellow
      List Manager
      jolly@...
    • BJKRONEN@xxx.xxx
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 28, 1999
        Jolly:

        > If you are building a Bend Track module, what changes have been made from
        > the Standards?

        In N scale: None. Right by the book. Works GREAT.
        In Z scale: Adaptations to that scale, notably 1" track-to-track and curves
        of 8 and 9 inches (that's wide radius in z), we allow grades up to 2% on the
        mainline, and we use DB25 connectors for track power, aux power, headsets and
        emergency shutdown circuits.

        Both Scales: We work on each other's designs to insure that the modules can
        be used for reasonable operations when set up at home. All of use use the
        modules as our home layouts, not just for shows.

        > I have gone with a height of 40" instead of 50", I had legs from N-Trak I
        > could use. I also use pipe legs as it is faster to set up, just screw them
        > on.

        N and Z: Both at 50". Much easier on our backs to work on, and a lot more
        fun at run time. So far, in quite a few public outings around the state, we
        have had one lady complain about the height. The other estimated 23,000
        folks who have seen the layout at our 1999 shows have had no complaints about
        the height at all.

        We use fold up metal legs from Home Depot ($15). Work great. We extend them
        with thin wall pipe to the 50" level, and use standard copper pipe ends to
        mount the 3/8" hardware for leg adjustment. We are set up and running before
        the other clubs sort out which legs in the pile go with which module, and
        which warped 2x2 leg goes on which corner of those modules.

        > Photos of my setup can be seen at;
        > http://utahdepot.railfan.net/BENSMR.htm

        Wow. I was not aware of your site. Thanks. I see you are into Z scale as
        well.

        > I have not changed them mush from that time as I have been putting it off,
        > but now with the Train Show season going I will be doing some work on them.

        Its amazing how we can accomplish 3 months of work in the 3 weeks just before
        a train show <grin>.

        Bill Kronenberger
        Houston