Re: [BelajarEnglish] which is better?

  • afian udani
    Message 1 of 3 , May 1, 2001
      Dear Nur Sazlina,

      Normally I use: 2) I am on leave on 2nd May 2001./
      I will be on leave on 2nd May 2001
      However, in spoken English, the word 'the'as in no. 2
      will be mentioned.

      Get 2nd opinion.

      As I see it...

      --- Nur Sazlina Bte Sa'at <nursazlina@...>
      wrote:
      > dear all,
      >
      > which sentence is better or are both sentences
      > acceptable?
      >
      > 1) i am on leave on the 2nd may 2001.
      >
      > OR
      >
      > 2) i am on leave on 2nd may 2001.
      >
      > thank you,
      >
      > Nur Sazlina Bte Sa'at
      > Course Co-Ordinator (Education - Curtin)
      > Marketing Institute of Singapore
      >
      > One of the wise people, when asked, "What is the way
      > by which knowledge is
      > obtained?" He answered, "With eagerness it is
      > FOLLOWED, with love it is
      > LISTENED TO, with sole concern it is GATHERED. Teach
      > your knowledge to the
      > one who is ignorant, and learn from the one who
      > teaches. For if you do that,
      > you will come to know that of which you were
      > ignorant and you will memorize
      > that which you yourself have learned."
      > [Jaami' Bayanul ilm wa Fadlihi / by Ibn Abdi-l-Barr
      > 1/102-103]

      http://auctions.yahoo.com/
    • Wooi, Evelyn
      Message 2 of 3 , May 1, 2001
        [BelajarEnglish] which is better?

        2nd May 2001

        Hello Miss Nur Sazlina,

        Happy Labour's Day to all of you !

        Here is the slight amendment.

          which sentence is better or are both sentences acceptable?

          1) i am on leave on the 2nd  of   May 2001.

              If we are using "the", then we need to add "of"

          OR

          2) i am on leave on 2nd may 2001.

                  This is correct.