English tips from Road to Grammar - had better

  • etips@roadtogrammar.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 1, 2007
      LANGUAGES, COUNTRIES AND NATIONALITIES

      ESL learners often get confused between languages, countries and nationalities. For example, I often hear students saying things like this:

      He is from German.
      He speaks France.

      German is the language, or the person (He is German). The country is Germany! Example 2 has the opposite error. France is the country. FRENCH is the language!

      Which of the following are correct, and which are mistakes?

      1 Selma speaks Turkish.
      2 Hagar is a Norway man.
      3 Hans speaks the Denmark language.
      4 Lin is Vietnamese.
      5 Jurgen is German.
      6 Adil is from Arab Saudi.
      7 His girlfriend is from Greece.
      8 My parents are Switzerland.

      Answers:

      1 correct
      2 Hagar is a Norwegian.
      3 Hans speaks Danish.
      4 correct
      5 correct
      6 Adil is from Saudi Arabia.
      7 correct
      8 My parents are Swiss.

      For more practice, visit www.roadtogrammar.com and try quiz numbers 55, 56, & 166

      <b> tx </b>
    • Risa Adelani
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 10, 2007
        I want to get more info about this.. Is there any list contains all
        the countries and names for their languages and nationalities?

        Thanks,
        Risa