Re: [BelajarEnglish] 'Similar to' versus 'similar with'

  • Letirose
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 1, 2006
      Dear All,

      To address Bruce, I think we just need to say ' Thank you, Bruce'
      Instead of Mr.Bruce -- For I believe that 'Bruce' is just his first name,
      isnt it, Bruce?
      Later on we may address him with mr. after we find out his surname.

      Correct me pls !

      Take Care,
      Letirose

      > Thank you Mr Bruce,
      >
      > I think this is a good start for me to improve my grammar and in writting
      > as well.

      > This information transmitted is intended only for the person or entity to
      > entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you have
      > received this message and/or its attachment in error, please contact the
      > sender and delete the material received from any computer.
      >
      > Any opinions, conclusions and other information in this message that are
      > unrelated to the official business of Zul Rafique & Partners (ZRP) are
      > those of the individual sender and shall be understood as neither
      > explicitly given nor endorsed by ZRP.
      >

      > Bruce
      > <bruceem@...
      > m> To
      > Sent by: BelajarEnglish@yahoogroups.com
      > BelajarEnglish@ya cc
      > hoogroups.com
      > Subject
      > [BelajarEnglish] "Similar to"
      > 05/31/06 08:58 PM versus "similar with"
      >

      > Please respond to
      > BelajarEnglish@ya
      > hoogroups.com
      >

      > The second sentence is correct.
      >

      > Bruce (Texas, USA)
      >
      > Ruth Letirose <letirose@...> wrote:
      > which one is correct :
      >
      > 1. Moderator is similar with administrator
      >
      > 2. Moderator is similar to administrator
      >
      > salam,
      > Letirose

      > To stop receiving email : BelajarEnglish-nomail@yahoogroups.com.
      >
      > To resume receiving email : BelajarEnglish-normal@yahoogroups.com.
      > Yahoo! Groups Links

      > To stop receiving email : BelajarEnglish-nomail@yahoogroups.com.
      >
      > To resume receiving email : BelajarEnglish-normal@yahoogroups.com.
      > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Bruce
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 1, 2006
        Letirose and all--

        This morning I typed a comment about this, but my computer crashed before I sent it. I hate it when that happens! Later.

        Bruce (Texas, USA)

        Letirose <letirose@...> wrote:
        Dear All,

        To address Bruce, I think we just need to say ' Thank you, Bruce'
        Instead of Mr.Bruce -- For I believe that 'Bruce' is just his first name,
        isnt it, Bruce?
        Later on we may address him with mr. after we find out his surname.

        Correct me pls !

        Take Care,
        Letirose

        -- Bruce (Austin and Abilene, Texas, USA)
        (1) "If you are on the right path, you will find invisible hands are helping." (Joseph Campbell)
        (2) "Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there." (Will Rogers)
        (3) "Poco a poco se anda lejos." (Hispanic saying)
      • Bruce
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 3, 2006
          Letirose and all--

          I am now standing at a counter in a computer-repair shop trying to get my computer to malfunction so the repairmen will know what to fix. So far, I've not gotten it to crash. Perhaps if I try to reply to you again it will crash, as it did before.

          Generally, in English. The form of address "Mr." is not placed in front of the first name alone. The first name is also called the "given name" or, in British English, "Christian name" because part of the population assigns the given name to an infant in a religious ceremony called 'christening." Mr. is often prefixed to the last name (family name, or surname), e.g., Mr. Jones, or to a combination of the first name and last name (e.g., Mr. John Brown). Sometimes, however, "Mr." is used informally before a first name standing alone. This generally is in an effort to be more formal than use of merely the first name would be, but less formal than use of only the last name (e.g., Mr. Johnson) would be. So sometimes even in the United States acqaintances call me "Mr. Bruce." In this forum, I will accept either form of address, but it would be more natural-sounding just to call me "Bruce," as Letirose suggests. To persons whose native language is Chinese or Vietnamese,
          use of the first name in this way runs counter to their native customs, but in this setting it is acceptable. When, however, anyone is dealing with Westerners in other contexts, it is always better etiquette to address people by the last name, e.g., Mr./Ms. Friedrich, until they ask you to call them by their first name.

          My computer has not crashed!

          Bruce (Texas, USA)

          Letirose <letirose@...> wrote:
          Dear All,

          To address Bruce, I think we just need to say ' Thank you, Bruce'
          Instead of Mr.Bruce -- For I believe that 'Bruce' is just his first name,
          isnt it, Bruce?
          Later on we may address him with mr. after we find out his surname.

          Correct me pls !

          Take Care,
          Letirose

        • Ruth Letirose
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 4, 2006
            Bruce,
            In terms of manner, we are not allowed to call someone by his or her first name until they ask us to do so?

            PS : Sorry for your computer. Perhaps it is time to have a new one.

            Until then,
            Letirose

            Subj: [BelajarEnglish] forms of address 2
            Date: Sun Jun 4, 2006 3:01 am
            Size: 2K
            To: BelajarEnglish@yahoogroups.com

            Letirose <letirose@...> wrote:
            Dear All,

            To address Bruce, I think we just need to say ' Thank you, Bruce'
            Instead of Mr.Bruce -- For I believe that 'Bruce' is just his first name,
            isnt it, Bruce?
            Later on we may address him with mr. after we find out his surname.

            Correct me pls !

            Take Care,
            Letirose

            Our Message Board: http://belajarenglish.proboards76.com
            Yahoo! Groups Links

            Ruth Letirose
            Mailto: letirose@...
          • Ruth Letirose
            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 4, 2006
              Bruce,

              One more thing.
              In many occassions, I have to address a woman which I've never met before. So I dont have a clue at all whether she is married. How should I address her. Should it be 'Ms' or 'Mrs' or perhaps I should make a judgement based on her appearence in terms of age?

              Thnks,
              Letirose