RE: [BelajarEnglish] Re: modern vs old fashion english

  • Harmiliah Puasa
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 31, 2005
      I always write it this way:

      'We attach the catalogue as requested.'

      Is this grammatically correct?

      Ami

      -----Original Message-----
      From: BelajarEnglish@yahoogroups.com
      [mailto:BelajarEnglish@yahoogroups.com]On Behalf Of Bill Kelly
      Sent: Wednesday, July 27, 2005 8:27 PM
      To: BelajarEnglish@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [BelajarEnglish] Re: modern vs old fashion english

      Hi Iza:

      Your examples are good ones. They remind us that it is usually best to
      write as concisely as possible.

      One small correction to your first old example. It should read:

      "We are pleased to enclose herewith our catalogue as requested by you
      for your kind perusal."

      Bill Kelly
      Connecticut USA

      --

      Rosliza Ishak wrote:
      > Dear all,
      > I would like to share this knowledge from what I have learned at BC. If, I
      > am wrong, pls let me know....thanks a lot.
      >
      > Sometimes when we write a formal letter to other company, we always use
      this
      > kind of sentences to make it sound better but actually this is old fashion
      > English which is not very practical to use.
      > So,we can make it "K I S S" - Keep It Sweet & Simple
      >
      > Ex :
      >
      > Old:
      > We are please to enclose herewith our catalogue as request by you for your
      > kind perusal
      >
      > Modern:
      > We are attaching the catalog as requested.

      > Old:
      > Should you have any query, please do not hesitate to contact the
      undersigned
      > at 03-22222222.
      >
      > Modern:
      > Please contact me on 03-2222222 for further information.

      > Old:
      > Kindly acknowledge receipt for the abovementioned document by signing the
      > duplicate of this letter.
      >
      > Modern:
      > Kindly acknowledge receipt.

      > Still have a lots to share..but wait for the next email, ok.
      >

      > Rgds
      > Iza

      To stop receiving email : BelajarEnglish-nomail@yahoogroups.com.

      To resume receiving email : BelajarEnglish-normal@yahoogroups.com.
      Yahoo! Groups Links

      "The contents of this e-mail are confidential and may be privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, please do not read, use, print, copy, forward or distribute the contents or disclose it to anyone. Instead, please inform us by return e-mail and delete it from your system immediately. Opinions, conclusions and other information in this message that do not relate to the official business of the SapuraCrest Group of Companies shall be understood as neither given nor endorsed by SapuraCrest Petroleum Bhd."