Englishpractice.com

  • Ibrahim & Suhaila
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 5, 2000

      Quiz

      Complete the following sentences using a correct coordinating conjunction

      a) Did you go see a horror _____ an action movie?
      b) I wanted to talk to her _____ she wasn't home.  I'll call again later.
      c) He is able to repair wiring _____ plumbing.
      d) I have diabetes, _____ I can't eat too much sugar.
      e) Does she enjoy listening to jazz _____ classical music?
      f)  Ali wanted to go shopping _____ he lost his wallet.
      g) Bodhan likes skiing _____ scuba diving.
      h) It is snowing very hard, _____ I'm not going to work today.

      Use one of the following words:

                                     but     and     or     so

      New Words From The Vocab Club
      Our Daily Vocab Club has learned seven new words this week. Here are the seven new words:

      Underscore = to emphasize. (verb)
      Vilify = to make bad comments or abusive statements against someone. (verb)
      Wholesome = promoting health of body, mind and spirit. (adjective)
      Yowl = to cry out in grief, pain or distress. (verb)
      Adapt = to make fit, often by modification. (verb)
      Bon vivant = a French term commonly used in English. It means literally 'good living'. (noun)
      Certificate = a document containing a certified statement as to the truth of something. (noun)

      Conjunctions
      An important part of using English correctly is understanding how to use conjunctions.  Follow these rules to understand how to use coordinate conjunctions correctly.

      And

      Use and for the idea of addition.

      I like hockey and baseball.
      I drink coffee and tea.
      He speaks French and German.

      Or

      Use or when you would like to present alternatives.

      Would you like chocolate or vanilla ice cream?
      Do you prefer apples or oranges?
      Will you go to Hawaii or Fiji?

      But

      Use but when you want to talk about contrast or an opposite idea.

      He has a lot of money but no car.
      My son is very clean but my daughter is messy.
      The house is old but in good condition.

      So

      Use so to express a cause/effect relationship (because of this).

      He works 18 hours a day, so he rarely sees his family.
      It is cold today, so I will wear a coat.
      I don't like potatoes, so I never eat french fries.

      Recipe

      Chocolate Mud Cake

      Active time: 20 min Start to finish: 2 1/2 hr

      You can also make this cake in 2 (81/2- by 41/2- by 21/2-inch) loaf pans.

      4 oz unsweetened chocolate, chopped
      3 oz fine-quality bittersweet chocolate, chopped
      1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter, cut into pieces
      1 1/2 cups strong brewed coffee
      5 tablespoons bourbon (preferably 80 proof)
      2 large eggs, lightly beaten
      1 teaspoon vanilla
      2 cups cake flour (not self-rising)
      1 3/4 cups sugar
      1 teaspoon baking soda
      1/4 teaspoon salt

      Special equipment: 2 (7- or 8-inch) springform pans

      Accompaniment: sweetened whipped cream and fresh berries

      Preheat oven to 275°F Butter springform pans and line bottom of each with a round of wax paper. Butter paper and dust pans with flour, knocking out excess. Wrap bottom and 1 inch up side on outside of each springform pan with foil (to catch drips).

      Melt chocolates and butter with coffee in a 4-quart saucepan over moderately low heat, stirring constantly until smooth. Remove from heat and cool 10 minutes. Beat in bourbon, eggs, and vanilla. Sift in flour, sugar, baking soda, and salt and stir until batter is smooth (batter will be thin).

      Divide batter between springform pans (about 3 cups batter in each). Bake cakes in middle of oven 1 to 1 1/4 hours, or until a tester inserted in centers comes out with crumbs adhering. Remove from oven and cool in pans on racks 20 minutes. Run a thin knife around edge of each pan, then remove sides. When cool, remove pan bottoms and wax paper.

      Makes 2 small cakes (serves 12)

      Interesting Facts

      1) 7% of Americans eat McDonalds each day.
      2) Each year, Americans spend more on cat food than on baby food.
      3) 96% of a cucumber is water.
      4) 50% of bank robberies take place on Fridays.
      5) 60% of electrocutions occur while talking on the phone during a thunderstorm.
      6) By 65 years old, Americans have watched more than nine years of television.
      7) In Japan, 20% of all publications sold are comic books.
      8) In the next seven days, 800 Americans will be injured by their jewelry.
      9) You are more likely to get attacked by a cow than a shark.
      10) Buckingham Palace has over 600 rooms.

      Quiz Answers

      a) or
      b) but
      c) and
      d) so
      e) or
      f) but
      g) and
      h) so

    • Grace
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 5, 2000
        Here i jut completed the following sentences so please replied to me for the correction.

        Thanks,

        ----------
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 5, 2000
          The answers are all included in the first mail. See bottom part.

          Good job....

          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 19, 2000

            December 19, 2000

            In this issue...

                    --Feature Lesson--

                    1 - Quiz
                    2 - New Words from the Vocab Club
                    3 - Student Essay
                    4 - Comments on the Essays
                    5 - Correlative Conjunctions
                    6 - Christmas Article
                    7 - Interesting Facts
                    8 - Quiz Answers

            --Feature Lesson--
            EnglishPractice students  and parents have asked for help for their children to learn English. This week, EnglishPractice is continuing a weekly children's lesson. It will help your children to learn simple vocabulary and
            sentence structure.

            Study the Feature Lesson

            Remember: We also have some great software available for purchase so
            that you can study offline!

            Visit the Store

            1 - Quiz

            Are the underlined words in the following sentences adjectives or adverbs?  Identify each as either adjective or adverb.  Answers are in section 8.  Studying Part 5 will help with this exercise.

            a) She is a kind and understanding person.
            b) Paula is an interesting speaker and a hard worker.
            c) Tanya is a really exciting member of our team.
            d) Robert usually eats junk food on the weekend.
            e) I witnessed a horrific traffic accident near my house.
            f)  Kumiko will probably drive to Kyoto for her vacation.
            g) My car is an eyesore.
            h) She is an incredibly beautiful woman.

            2 - New Words From The Vocab Club
            Our Daily Vocab Club has learned seven new words this week. Here are the seven new words:

            Knowledgeable = having knowledge or intelligence. (adjective)
            Lesson = an instructive example or a division of a course of study. (noun)
            Mechanic = a manual worker, one who repairs machines. (noun)
            Nuance = a small distinction or variation. (noun)
            Ornamental = to add beauty to something. (adjective)
            Petal = a leaf of a flower. (noun)
            Quote = to speak or write words that originated from another person. (verb)

             3 - Student Essay

            EnglishPractice.com is continuing its focus on Student Essays. If you enjoyed reading this essay, you can find more to read here. Because only one essay can be chosen to appear in the newsletter, other excellent essays submitted to us recently will be posted. The essays available to read will change regularly. Please feel free to make comments about any of the essays on our Message Board. We would like to encourage you to begin discussions and make suggestions about student essays. This essay was submitted by Magalhaes.

            Education has been always discussed all over the world, and learning by doing and learning at school has been considered as two different forms of education.

            Learning by doing allow people to learn by correcting their own mistakes or by observing what they are doing . For instance, if a child is curious about Science and he can make an experiment by himself he can observe everything that is happening during that step by step, and it will gave him an opportunity to keep what he has learned in his mind easier. In addition when a child tries to assemble a puzzle math , for example, and he makes some mistakes trying to figure out what piece he should use, and which one maths, he is puting his mind to work and correcting his own mistakes until get the solution for the problem.

            On the other hand learning at school is a good way to learn how to organize his mind in order to know the best way to resolve problems, and to follow rules, and to socialize. Teachers are good instructors and they must have in mind that they are supposed to help their students to learn methodically and logically.

            I personally disagree that one kind of learning is better than other. In my opinion learning by doing is as important as learning at school. For me children need to learn at school because its good for them to have someone who can help them when they have doubts, and showing them the directions; and at the same time the school should give them chances to learn by doing always as possible by doing experiments, observations and working with real situation.

            4 - Comments about the Essay
            Again, there are some great ideas presented here.  It's wonderful to see so many opinions on this topic.  This essay provides us with another look at a point of view on learning and education.  This student clearly presents their ideas on the advantages of both learning styles.  I think the opinions are clearly presented and this essay very well done.  It's a pleasure to read and a perfect example of the end result of a student's hard work learning English.

            Here are a few points to assist you with future writing.  In the first sentence, you should say "Education has always been..." - place midsentence adverbs between the helping and main verb.  There are exceptions to be learned but in this case it should be this way.  In the next paragraph you should write "Learning by doing allows people.." use the singular verb "allows" with "Learning".  One other point is to place adjectives before nouns - "math puzzles", etc.  This is a great essay!  Keep up the great work and good luck with your English study!

            Good Work Magalhaes!

            5 - Adjectives and Adverbs

            The important points to remember:
            In reviewing adjectives and adverbs it is important to always remember what each does.  An adjective describes or modifies a noun (or a pronoun).  An adverb describes or modifies a verb (or an adjective).  You must be careful to look at exactly what you are trying to say and what you want to express.

            Use of adjectives:
            We want to describe or modify a noun.

            My brother is an exciting person. (Exciting describes brother)
            My grandmother is very wise.      (Wise describes grandmother)

            Use of adverbs:
            We want to describe or modify a verb.

            He plays the piano well.  (Well describes how he plays the piano)
            My friend drives slowly and carefully.  (Slowly and Carefully describe drives)

            Remember that adverbs usually answer the question How?.

            How does he play the piano?            How does my friend drive?

            6 - Christmas Article

            'Twas The Night Before Christmas: Reading Comprehension

            This week's reading comprehension is based on "'Twas The Night Before Christmas" which is one of the most traditional Christmas readings in English speaking countries. Written in 1822 by Clement C. Moore, "'Twas The Night Before Christmas" tells the story of Santa's arrival on Christmas Eve at a typical American household. Imagine it is Christmas Eve and you are sitting around the fireplace drinking a nice cup of Egg Nog (a typical Christmas drink made with eggs, cinnamon, milk and other ingredients sometimes including a good bit of rum) anxiously awaiting Christmas Eve. Outside the snow is falling and all the family is together. Finally, someone in the family takes out "'Twas The Night Before Christmas"

            Before reading you may want to review some of the more difficult vocabulary listed after the story.

            'Twas The Night Before Christmas, when all through the house
            Not a creature was stirring, not even a mouse;
            The stockings were hung by the chimney with care,
            In hopes that St. Nicholas soon would be there;
            The children were nestled all snug in their beds,
            While visions of sugar-plums danced in their heads;
            And mamma in her 'kerchief, and I in my cap,
            Had just settled down for a long winter's nap,
            When out on the lawn there arose such a clatter,
            I sprang from the bed to see what was the matter.
            Away to the window I flew like a flash,
            Tore open the shutters and threw up the sash.
            The moon on the breast of the new-fallen snow
            Gave the lustre of mid-day to objects below,
            When, what to my wondering eyes should appear,
            But a miniature sleigh, and eight tiny reindeer,
            With a little old driver, so lively and quick,
            I knew in a moment it must be St. Nick.
            More rapid than eagles his coursers they came,
            And he whistled, and shouted, and called them by name;
            "Now, Dasher! now, Dancer! now, Prancer and Vixen!
            On, Comet! on Cupid! on, Donder and Blitzen!
            To the top of the porch! to the top of the wall!
            Now dash away! dash away! dash away all!"
            As dry leaves that before the wild hurricane fly,
            When they meet with an obstacle, mount to the sky,
            So up to the house-top the coursers they flew,
            With the sleigh full of toys, and St. Nicholas too.
            And then, in a twinkling, I heard on the roof
            The prancing and pawing of each little hoof.
            As I drew in my hand, and was turning around,
            Down the chimney St. Nicholas came with a bound.
            He was dressed all in fur, from his head to his foot,
            And his clothes were all tarnished with ashes and soot;
            A bundle of toys he had flung on his back,
            And he looked like a peddler just opening his pack.
            His eyes -- how they twinkled! his dimples how merry!
            His cheeks were like roses, his nose like a cherry!
            His droll little mouth was drawn up like a bow,
            And the beard of his chin was as white as the snow;
            The stump of a pipe he held tight in his teeth,
            And the smoke it encircled his head like a wreath;
            He had a broad face and a little round belly,
            That shook, when he laughed like a bowlful of jelly.
            He was chubby and plump, a right jolly old elf,
            And I laughed when I saw him, in spite of myself;
            A wink of his eye and a twist of his head,
            Soon gave me to know I had nothing to dread;
            He spoke not a word, but went straight to his work,
            And filled all the stockings; then turned with a jerk,
            And laying his finger aside of his nose,
            And giving a nod, up the chimney he rose;
            He sprang to his sleigh, to his team gave a whistle,
            And away they all flew like the down of a thistle.
            But I heard him exclaim, ere he drove out of sight,
            "Happy Christmas to all, and to all a good-night."

            The vocabulary is in the order it appears in "'Twas The Night Before Christmas"

            'Twas = It was
            stirring = movement
            nestled = comfortably in place
            'kerchief = handkerchief
            clatter = noise
            sash = window covering that is pulled down from inside the room
            shutters = window covering that is opened from outside the window
            lustre = glow, illumination
            sleigh = Santa Claus' vehicle, also used in Alaska with dogs
            St. Nick = Santa Claus
            Coursers = Animals which draw a sleigh
            Porch = terrace
            dash away = move onwards quickly
            twinkling = a second
            bound = a jump
            tarnished = dirty
            soot = black waste material found inside a chimney
            bundle = bag
            peddler = someone who sells things on the street
            dimples = indentations on the cheeks
            merry = happy
            droll = funny
            encircled = circle around
            belly = stomach
            dread = to be afraid of
            jerk = quick movement
            down of a thistle = the light material on a certain type of weed that floats away in the air
            ere = before

            7 - Interesting Facts

            1) Mosquitoes have teeth.
            2) Even if you cut off a cockroach's head, it can live for several weeks.
            3) Cats have over one hundred vocal sounds, while dogs only have about ten.
            4) Penguins can jump as high as 6 feet in the air.
            5) The world population of chickens is about equal to the number of  people.
            6) Penguins can jump as high as 6 feet in the air.
            7) The biggest bee is as big as a hummingbird.
            8) Bees cry when they lack a queen bee.
            9) Bees cannot perceive the color red.
            10) When stung by a bee, remove the stinger and put a little HONEY on the wound.

            8 - Quiz Answers
            Here are the answers from section 1:

            a) adjective
            b) adjective