Re: [BelajarEnglish] Learn a word - ALLEGIANCE

  • Michael Eng
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 1, 2002
      > > Our word is ALLEGIANCE.
      > > Pronounced as "eh lee gence".
      > > Meaning = To give respect to a sovereign (ruler).

      > > Do you really have a King?or it's just a sentence ti
      > show the meaning of the word allegiance

      Maria,

      Allegiance can mean the respect of a sovereign, but it also means the respect
      of a citizen to his/her country.

      So, even though Malaysia is a republic and has no sovereign, the citizens of
      Malaysia pledge their allegiance to their country on National Day.

      Pronunciation: the stress is on the second syllable /@'li:d3@ns/ or
      "eh LEE gence"

      Hope that helps,

      Michael Eng
    • maria ester barrios flores
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 2, 2002
        --- Michael Eng <meng@...> escribió: > > >
        Our word is ALLEGIANCE.
        > > > Pronounced as "eh lee gence".
        > > > Meaning = To give respect to a sovereign
        > (ruler).
        >
        > > > Do you really have a King?or it's just a
        > sentence ti
        > > show the meaning of the word allegiance
        >
        > Maria,
        >
        > Allegiance can mean the respect of a sovereign, but
        > it also means the respect
        > of a citizen to his/her country.
        >
        > So, even though Malaysia is a republic and has no
        > sovereign, the citizens of
        > Malaysia pledge their allegiance to their country on
        > National Day.
        >
        > Pronunciation: the stress is on the second syllable
        > /@'li:d3@ns/ or
        > "eh LEE gence"
        >
        > Hope that helps,
        >
        > Michael Eng

        Sorry Michael and Evelyn, but I don't understand al
        all,
        Do you have a King or not?

      • Rozitah
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 2, 2002
          DEAR Maria,
          Yes, we do have a King, and Malaysia is a democratic country.