Behavioural Finance Working Group Conference: Call for Papers

  • Martin Sewell
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 2, 2010

      We invite submissions to the following forthcoming conference:

      Behavioural Finance Working Group Conference:

      Topic: Fairness, Trust and Emotions in Finance.

      Date: 1-2 July 2010

      Venue: Behavioural Finance Working Group, Cass Business School , London , UK

      Keynote Speaker: Robert Olsen, Institute of Behavioral Finance

      Organisers: Richard Fairchild ( School of Management , University of Bath ), Gulnur Muradoglu ( Cass Business School ) and Daniel Zizzo ( University of East Anglia ).

      Special Issue: Presenters have the option to have their papers considered for a special issue of the International Journal of Behavioural Accounting and Finance.

      The deadline for submissions is May 21st 2010

      The detailed Call for Papers is as follows:

      Overview: Traditionally, financial economists have based their analysis of financial contracting on the assumption that agents are fully rational, emotionless, self-interested maximizers of expected utility (the homo economicus assumption). Behavioural economists are increasingly recognizing that financial decision makers may be subject to psychological biases, and the effects of emotions (the homo sapiens view). An interesting area of research examines the implications of assuming that agents are not completely self-interested, but that they also consider the impact of their actions on the payoffs of others. In this meeting, we will consider the effects of fairness, trust, empathy, fellow-feeling, and emotional reactions on financial contracting, incentives and performance.

      We seek contributions from areas which include while not being limited to the following issues:

      • decision-making at the corporate level (for example, the effect of emotions, trust, and empathy on the FDI decision and on capital budgeting),

      • decision making at the start-up level (the effect of fairness, trust and empathy on venture capitalist/entrepreneurial financial contracting, incentives and performance),

      • decision making at the investor level (investors' trust in corporate managers).

      We invite you to submit extended abstracts, papers-in-progress or full papers by the deadline of May 21st 2010.

      The organisers will come back with a decision within three weeks after this deadline.To submit a paper for consideration please email a PDF version of the paper to Behavioural-Finance@...

      Papers chosen for submission will, at the author's request, be considered for publication for a Special Issue of the International Journal of Behavioural Accounting and Finance

      Kind regards,

      Gulnur Muradoglu

      Cass Business School