Can't remember who wrote about Economic Instability and Physical Mobility

  • rloftus52876
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 27, 2008
      Hello all,

      I apologize if this seems tacky, but I'm working on a paper about
      how high energy prices compromise the "Low-Cost Revolution," of
      retailers in the United States such as Wal-Mart and Target, and how
      the loss of manufacturing jobs in the US is already being slowed,
      and could eventually even be reversed by the weak dollar, etc.

      Anyways, I can remember reading about the Theory of Economic
      Instability and Physical Mobility (I hope that's the proper title)
      which states that in times of economic distress people have a
      tendency to pare down their possessions and prepare themselves to
      move geographically, and this may be a behavioral throwback to the
      natural state of man, living in a hunting and gathering environment.
      The degree and volume of possessions that the individual chooses to
      keep is inversely related to the degree of economic threat they
      perceive to their current state of employment and well-being.

      I know I should know this, it's always easier if you have the
      author's name and go searching for a paper, but when you remember
      the general idea of the theory but can't remember the author...I'm
      sure you all know what I mean.

      Bob