Re: [Behavioral-Finance] I need a article

  • Bingyu Zhu
    Message 1 of 12 , May 11, 2005
      I have never seen such a unfriendly person like you!

      > It seems to me that you first "wrote" the dissertation and now you
      > collecting the articles.
      You unterstand me totally wrong.

      > We all needed an article when we were studing and we used to go to the
      > library or either visit the Jstor with an Athens account to get it,
      > read it and write out thesis. So, I think going to a library is a good
      > start for you.
      This article is not in our library.

      > A fact of life is that everyone has to do things by himself rather
      > than relying on other.......
      Did you ever hear of Information?!

      > and that's something a certain minority of members haven't learned
      > yet. Instead of asking papers, thesis titles, dissertation ideas,
      > literature review articles, ...
      It was your prejudice against me.

      > THANKS GOD not offering contracts to write thesis for them
      > yet!!!............
      Oh, you will be disappointed to know that I have got my contract!

      > I would appreciate from them to engage in constructive arguments about
      > the finance and investment field and the future of BF. That's far more
      > fruitful and fullfilling for the scientific point of view.
      That I try to do. And you expressed the reason, why I write this thesis.

      > Thanks
      >
      > Yahoo! Messenger - want a free & easy way to contact your friends
      > online?
      >
      > you may unsubscribe by sending an email to

      > Yahoo! Groups Links

      > Service.

    • Kaestner
      Message 2 of 12 , May 11, 2005
        I apologize to reply to your message as I was not concerned by your comments. What happens to me very often is that some journals/articles are not available through our library. The on-line access that are offered by Ebsco, Proquest and other providers appear to be very expensive, not only to european universities! I personnally used some articles provided by Martin Sewell, that I had no access to (and sent him some others, missing in his database).
        Thus I'm not sure that students asking for an article or two can be considered as relying on the work of others.

        Michael

        Message 3 of 12 , May 11, 2005
          I have never seen such a unfriendly person like you!

          > It seems to me that you first "wrote" the dissertation and now you
          > collecting the articles.
          You unterstand me totally wrong.

          > We all needed an article when we were studing and we used to go to the
          > library or either visit the Jstor with an Athens account to get it,
          > read it and write out thesis. So, I think going to a library is a good
          > start for you.
          This article is not in our library.

          > A fact of life is that everyone has to do things by himself rather
          > than relying on other.......
          Did you ever hear of Information externalities?!

          > and that's something a certain minority of members haven't learned
          > yet. Instead of asking papers, thesis titles, dissertation ideas,
          > literature review articles, ...
          It was your prejudice against me.

          > THANKS GOD not offering contracts to write thesis for them
          > yet!!!............
          Oh, you will be disappointed to know that I have got my contract!

          > I would appreciate from them to engage in constructive arguments about
          > the finance and investment field and the future of BF. That's far more
          > fruitful and fullfilling for the scientific point of view.
          That I try to do. And you expressed the reason, why I write this thesis.

          P.S.: I have got this article from Federal Reserve Bank of New York ;).
          And it was free!
        • Rich Schaefer
          Message 4 of 12 , May 11, 2005
            OUCH! Who let my father in this group?

            Just kidding! Great advice, though!

            --- Panagiotis Andrikopoulos <pandriko@...>
            wrote:

            > It seems to me that you first "wrote" the
            > dissertation and now you collecting the articles. We
            > all needed an article when we were studing and we
            > used to go to the library or either visit the Jstor
            > with an Athens account to get it, read it and write
            > out thesis. So, I think going to a library is a good
            > start for you.
            >
            > A fact of life is that everyone has to do things by
            > himself rather than relying on other.......and
            > that's something a certain minority of members
            > haven't learned yet. Instead of asking papers,
            > thesis titles, dissertation ideas, literature review
            > articles, ...THANKS GOD not offering contracts to
            > write thesis for them yet!!!............I would
            > appreciate from them to engage in constructive
            > arguments about the finance and investment field and
            > the future of BF. That's far more fruitful and
            > fullfilling for the scientific point of view.
            >

            > Thanks
            >

            > ---------------------------------
            > Yahoo! Messenger - want a free & easy way to
            > contact your friends online?

            __________________________________
            Yahoo! Mail Mobile
            http://mobile.yahoo.com/learn/mail
          • Thibaud Caillet
            Message 5 of 12 , May 11, 2005

              > A fact of life is that everyone has to do things by
              > himself rather than relying on other

              A fact of life is that I strongly believe in networking, meaning helping each other if possible.
              Panagiotis Andrikopoulos, you're kindly invited to my conference on July 5th

              Save the date !

              With kind regards

              My Business networking profile

              ---------------------------------

              Message 6 of 12 , May 11, 2005

                Good luck Bingyu

                I'm sure you'll find nice people owning the material you need

                With kind regards

                My web log
                http://ThibaudCaillet.BLOGspirit.com/networking/

                My Business networking profile

              • Emrah Arbak
                Message 7 of 12 , May 11, 2005
                  Bingyu,

                  I had searched around for the same paper to refer to at a presentation a
                  couple of months ago. I am not sure if this is what you wanted but you
                  can download the following paper by the same authors from the Fed of NY
                  at the following URL:

                  http://www.newyorkfed.org/research/staff_reports/research_papers/9724.pdf

                  As the title suggests, this paper is quite similar to the one you
                  mentioned. I think that the authors changed the title and added a third
                  author in a later revision.

                  Best,

                  Emrah Arbak

                  Bingyu Zhu wrote:
                  > Hi everybody,
                  > i need a article from Chaudhuri, S./Jayaratne, J. (1997) for my
                  > dissertation. The title is:" informational externalities and the branch
                  > location decisions of banks: an empirical analysis". It will be great
                  > for me, if anyone can send this article to me.
                  > Thanks in advance!
                  > yours Bingyu
                  >

                  > you may unsubscribe by sending an email to

                • Panagiotis Andrikopoulos
                  Message 8 of 12 , May 11, 2005
                    Lets' clear some specific points about the earlier message.

                    First and foremost, I am not really unfriendly as this student wants to believe. But there are always limits in certain things.

                    Purely, from an academic perspective, researching articles is a part of the research experience and procedure that all of us had to go through in order to complete our degrees. The purpose of the university is not only to teach you certain technical issues but rather to complete you as a character and professional in terms of reseach and knowledge-building; and therefore to be able to sustain your knowledge and further enhance it after the university experience has finished.
                    So, we 're coming to the main question. Do you know where this paper can be found, e.g. journal, library, electronic source, etc?
                    For example here in UK you will be able to find EVERYTHING in Botley Libary in Cambridge which is a copyright library. And  if it is a crucial paper for you reseach you will definitely travel in order to find it. Something analogous will exist in your country as well.
                    Consequently, if you don't know where can be found either you haven't done your research correctly, or if you know and you don't go and get it then I thik there is something wrong in this case!!!! Which of these two is?
                    Also, why you don't ask this paper from your supervisor? I guess that should be his job, or not? What do you thing? (Anyway, I'll give you the answer to that...in certain countries that is outside academic regulations. In the past, I even had a student asking me to dowload the data for him and give them to do the study because he was unable to use financial datatbases; obviously you understand the result of his ...thesis)!!! I hope you're not like him and I wich you all the best with your research. Make it good and try to publish it as the results may be interesting to all of us in the discipline.

                    As far as the networking advice of my dear friend Mr. Caillet, I perfectly agree with your point about conferences. I really appreciate it. But the above issue with the student was not about networking anyway, so I guess your reply was aiming to promote your conference about networking. Good for you!!! Hopefully, I might see you in the next EFMA conference sometime next year to intellectually expand the above networking suggestion.

                    All the best to the group and happy investing!

                    Message 9 of 12 , May 11, 2005
                       Michael Kaestner point is also valid and I accept it. Then, if BF papers are so dificult to be found, why not creating with subscription amongst ourselves (the members) and after consulting with the various publishers a database with key BF papers? It will be the first BF electronic library as far as I know and at the same time it can become a standard to the field. Just thing about it. I think it is worth it.

                      Yahoo! Messenger - want a free & easy way to contact your friends online?
                    • Pedro Rino Vieira
                      Message 10 of 12 , May 11, 2005

                        This is a great idea, because it’s quite difficult to find some articles. For example, in Portugal it’s quite difficult to find some papers because any university library subscribe all journals. Sometimes, not even all years of one single Journal. When I have done my thesis I was looking for a specific paper that I wasn’t found anywhere. I ask it to my supervisor, but it couldn’t find it either. Fortunately it wasn’t an important paper for my work. So that, I understand the request of this colleague. After all, this is also a way of research.

                        Pedro Rino Vieira

                        Enviada: quarta-feira, 11 de Maio de 2005 20:38
                        Para: Behavioral-Finance@yahoogroups.com
                        Assunto: RE: [Behavioral-Finance] I need a article