33rd month newsletter

  • pgreenfinch <pgreenfinch@wanadoo.fr>
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 6, 2003
      Hi, all members and visitors !
      The last month was one of contrasts

      1) Membership stats:

      There was nearly as many "out" than "out" in our
      membership that month.
      Some boredom with BF? Or with our debates?
      Or just a "blip" in the trend?
      A sorting out taking place between fans and bypassers?
      Or something linked to the present market blues?
      And to the shuffle taking place in the finance professional
      ranks?
      => Maybe some members can give us a hint?
      Taking into account in addition a surge of bouncing members
      (more professional mobility?) we have 855+ reachable
      members to which to add, let us say now, 3-5% temporarily
      bouncing ones.
      Welcome anyway to our new members, wishing they find
      the group stimulating !
      Our sister list, Finance-academy, is stable, in the
      145-150 members area
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Finance-Academy

      2) Group's messages

      About 4890 messages have been posted since the start,
      with nearly 140 last month (well, including spams).
      Thanks for your contributions and questions.
      The topics seemed, imo at least, really varied and
      interesting The BF "grasp" in finance seems to reach
      always new territories. The big question still being,
      if I try to sum up the related thread:
      * Is there a future in trustworty and practical BF models
      used as tools to invest or to trade better?
      * or is BF above all a source of knowledge on what make
      investors tick, thus more a soft science than a hard
      technique?
      For example, a correspondant asked me what imo could be
      the prospects of crossing chaos theory and BF.
      From what I know, chaos / complexity theory shows at the
      same time determinism and uncertainty.
      A determinist uncertainty, wow, no wonder it is not so
      easy to understand our world !
      So, if you pour BF (or more broadly, the human factor)
      on it, does it add to the uncertain part of complexity?
      But is it still a deterministic complexity ?
      This goes far into metaphysics ;-)
      Whatever it is, there are overlapping zones between those
      two fields (the works of LeBaron show that).
      => Have some members any precise ideas about this cross-
      fertilization beween BF and Chaos T ?

      3) Your free BF resources are regularly completed and
      updated. They are 24/7 at your fingertips:

      * Your "BF gallery" / FAQ
      http://perso.wanadoo.fr/pgreenfinch/behavioral-finance.htm

      * Your BF Group's archives:
      (and then use "search")

      * Your BF Bookmarks
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Behavioral-Finance/links

      * Your behavioral stockpricer
      http://perso.wanadoo.fr/pgreenfinch/pricer.htm

      All the best to all.
      Peter G
    • pgreenfinch <pgreenfinch@wanadoo.fr>
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 6, 2003
        --- In Behavioral-Finance@yahoogroups.com, "pgreenfinch
        <pgreenfinch@w...>" <pgreenfinch@w...> wrote:
        > Hi, all members and visitors !
        > The last month was one of contrasts
        >
        > 1) Membership stats:
        >
        > There was nearly as many "out" than "out" in our
        > membership that month.

        Sorry. Of course, please read: as many "in" than "out"
        Peter