Preemies getting removed from Hive?

  • Scott Townsend
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 3, 2007
      When we got to the Hives we knew there was something up with the 2nd
      hive. There were not nearly as many bees coming and going. So we knew
      there was something up with this one.

      So we started out with the Stronger hive. We had a treat today!!! We
      should have had the camera ready, though we didn't think about it
      over the excitement. We got to see a Queen. Of course it was in the
      stronger hive. After seeing the Queen, Brood and pearl, we moved onto
      the next hive.

      The 2nd hive is not doing too well. Last week we saw several eggs and
      lots of pearl. No Queen, but it looked active and healthy. The only
      odd think last week was there was a large black looking flying
      critter that came crawling out of the hive. It fell off the side and
      took off before I could get a good look at it. It was kind of long
      and skinny. Mostly all black, wings too. This visit we saw a few
      bees removing a premature bee from the hive entrance and there were a
      few preemies on the bottom too. That does not seem to be a good
      indicator.

      The strong hive looks ready for a 2nd Deep. It's got a good 7 frames
      full. The new Hive bottoms, deep bodies and tops are all ready to go.
      We'll give them a week to air out and dry and add the 2nd deep to
      this hive next weekend.