RE: Glove cleaning hints?

  • LJHuston3
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 29, 2003
      I only use gloves when working with cranky hives, which thankfully
      hasn't been often. So mine haven't required cleaning, and the concern
      for me would be the alarm scent as much as stickiness. I put leather
      gardening gloves through the wash occasionally and it works fine. My
      gardening gloves I can oil, though. Without oiling, I suppose they
      would soften up eventually.

      I'd try using rubbing alcohol on a sticky part of the leather and see
      how that does. If it removes the stickiness (though perhaps not the
      stained color) dry it thoroughly and 'show it' to the bees to see they
      care. If it's thoroughly dry, I wouldn't think they would. If it works
      alright, go ahead and do the rest of the gloves.

      If you have a little wintergreen oil (like for making grease patties)
      try adding *just a couple* drops to the alcohol. That'll lend a
      favorable fragrance to the leather (and help confound alarm scent). I
      add wintergreen to a spray bottle of alcohol and use that to clean my
      sticky hands during inspections, as necessary.

      Best,
      Leslie