Itty bitty swarm

  • parkdayknitter
    Message 1 of 5 , May 1, 2007
      I just picked up a teeny little swarm today -- no bigger than a
      softball. I have an open TBH and one that's established with the same
      dimensions (a problem with idiosyncratic equipement). If I hive this
      little swarm, feed it, and later in the season bring over a couple of
      bars of brood, will it be worth the space it's taking up?

      I'd hate to hive it and then get a monster swarm call (I'm near the
      end of my hive capacity), but maybe it's too late in the year for
      starting one that small, anyhow.

      If I decide against hiving it, what do I do with it?

      Stefani
    • kgbenson@sc.rr.com
      Message 2 of 5 , May 1, 2007
        From: parkdayknitter <parkdayknitter@...>

        > I'd hate to hive it and then get a monster swarm call (I'm near the
        > end of my hive capacity), but maybe it's too late in the year for
        > starting one that small, anyhow.

        Hive it - you never know, though I wouldn't be surprised if it fails.
        If you get that mosnter swarm call you can always combine them.

        Keith
      • J.Charles Cripps
        Message 3 of 5 , May 1, 2007
          parkdayknitter <parkdayknitter@...> wrote:
          I just picked up a teeny little swarm today -- no bigger than a
          softball. I have an open TBH and one that's established with the same
          dimensions (a problem with idiosyncratic equipement). If I hive this
          little swarm, feed it, and later in the season bring over a couple of
          bars of brood, will it be worth the space it's taking up?

          I'd hate to hive it and then get a monster swarm call (I'm near the
          end of my hive capacity), but maybe it's too late in the year for
          starting one that small, anyhow.

          If I decide against hiving it, what do I do with it?

          Stefani

          Check out new cars at Yahoo! Autos.

        • Lew Best
          Message 4 of 5 , May 1, 2007

            I’d try to find the queen, get rid of her & try to combine bees with another hive.

            Lew

            If I decide against hiving it, what do I do with it?

            Stefani

            _._,___

            Checked by AVG Free Edition.

            Checked by AVG Free Edition.

          • FarmerBrown49@aol.com
            Message 5 of 5 , May 1, 2007
              In a message dated 05/01/07 12:41:20 P.M. Central Daylight Time, parkdayknitter@... writes:
              I just picked up a teeny little swarm today -- no bigger than a
              softball. I have an open TBH and one that's established with the same
              dimensions (a problem with idiosyncratic equipement). If I hive this
              little swarm, feed it, and later in the season bring over a couple of
              bars of brood, will it be worth the space it's taking up?

              I'd hate to hive it and then get a monster swarm call (I'm near the
              end of my hive capacity), but maybe it's too late in the year for
              starting one that small, anyhow.

              If I decide against hiving it, what do I do with it?

              Stefani

              Sammy Replies:  I hived one last year about that size it was one of the three that made it through the winter.  If you can partition the hive down to three frames use cardboard if need be.  Feed, feed, feed, and feed some more.  If you have another really good hive you can take a frame with some hatching brood and place it in the hive it will give them a big boost.

              Sammy
              For my profile visit http://www.sammymbrown.com
              Honor Our Americans who have died in the Name of Freedom visit, http://www.americanfallen.com
              Our web site: http://brownsapiaries.com/