Re: INCREASING INTEREST IN BEEKEEPING

  • Harriette Jacobs
    Message 1 of 5 , May 1 9:48 AM
      I think that is an EXCELLENT idea! If not at Epcot - a major zoo
      should create such a cooperative exhibit. The National Bee
      Associations could be notified or asked to solicity, etc.

      Harriette Jacobs
      Georgia

      --- In beekeeping@yahoogroups.com, "jcharles_cripps"
      <jcharles_cripps@...> wrote:

      > The thought just occurred to me that one way of increasing interest
      > in,and understanding of,bekeeping and its importance to all of us
      would
      > be to establish a demonstration at Disneyworld--Perhaps a skep shaped
      > hive into which people would enter and therein find all kinds of
      > demonstrations related to bees and beekeeping including why we've
      moved
      > from skeps to Langstroth hives. Perhaps commercial beekeepers and
      > their organizations, suppliers of beekeeping equipment, national
      > organizations and even local clubs would be interested in working
      > cooperatively with Disneyworld to bring such a thing into existence.
      > It would take big bucks, but consider what is at stake. Just a
      > thought. I can't do it personally, but if enough people thought it
      was
      > a good idea, something might get done. J.Charles

    • Harriette Jacobs
      Message 2 of 5 , May 1 9:49 AM

        <jcharles_cripps@...> wrote:

        > The thought just occurred to me that one way of increasing interest
        > in,and understanding of,bekeeping and its importance to all of us
        would
        > be to establish a demonstration at Disneyworld--Perhaps a skep shaped
        > hive into which people would enter and therein find all kinds of
        > demonstrations related to bees and beekeeping including why we've
        moved
        > from skeps to Langstroth hives. Perhaps commercial beekeepers and
        > their organizations, suppliers of beekeeping equipment, national
        > organizations and even local clubs would be interested in working
        > cooperatively with Disneyworld to bring such a thing into existence.
        > It would take big bucks, but consider what is at stake. Just a
        > thought. I can't do it personally, but if enough people thought it
        was
        > a good idea, something might get done. J.Charles

      • rick burnett
        Message 3 of 5 , May 1 11:49 AM

          The best beekeeping display that I have experienced so far has been at the Minnesota State Fair, in their AG building.  They have exhibits of the range of colors that honey can take, things made from/using honey, examples of beekeeping equipment, displays of beekeeping and honey extacting, even a room where a volunteer moves around a cloud of bees unprotected by the usual beekeeping gear.  I was very impressed and the public seemed to be as well.

          Exercise your brain! Try Flexicon.
        • J.Charles Cripps
          Message 4 of 5 , May 1 11:53 AM

            <jcharles_cripps@ ...> wrote:

            > The thought just occurred to me that one way of increasing interest
            > in,and understanding of,bekeeping and its importance to all of us
            would
            > be to establish a demonstration at Disneyworld- -Perhaps a skep shaped
            > hive into which people would enter and therein find all kinds of
            > demonstrations related to bees and beekeeping including why we've
            moved
            > from skeps to Langstroth hives. Perhaps commercial beekeepers and
            > their organizations, suppliers of beekeeping equipment, national
            > organizations and even local clubs would be interested in working
            > cooperatively with Disneyworld to bring such a thing into existence.
            > It would take big bucks, but consider what is at stake. Just a
            > thought. I can't do it personally, but if enough people thought it
            was
            > a good idea, something might get done. J.Charles

            Check out new cars at Yahoo! Autos.